Exercise - Seeing no difference on scales

bunnycd

I have started walking my puppy each day last week normally around an hour per day so over the week I walked 7 hours and this week lost 2:5lbs so it has not made any difference, in fact my loss was below normal.

Does anyone know if activity e.g. walking makes a difference or not?

You'd have to walk your dog for about two hours each day, every day of the week, to see an extra half a pound loss.

Do make sure you're drinking extra water before, during and after your walks, as your body will need it.

I don't think it'll help the weight loss much but it will make you feel better and healthier and tone you up :)

Since my third week on CD diet I've been going to the gym two - four times a week. Mainly for therapy reasons, to keep the muscles in my legs strong or my knees are just painful.

I keep myself well hydrated, before and during exercise and because of energy levels can burn from 600 to 1,000 cals in a session. I feel great afterwards and have a restful night, but this makes no difference to my weight. Sometimes it is frustrating to lose just two or three pounds for that week.

But there are other benefits - good stamina and I'm toning up really well. When I do finish the CD diet and switch to SW, I'm not a stranger to the gym.

Not sure if others have found this to be the case.

because of energy levels can burn from 600 to 1,000 cals in a session

That's very high for a straightforward session at the gym. Is it a two-hour session by any chance?

Also don't forget that as you are toning muscle that muscle weighs heavier than fat.

Sorry, but you can't build muscle on a VLCD, so this has nothing to do with it. Even if you could, it takes so long to build a pound of muscle that you wouldn't notice it on the scales anyway, especially if you're female.

Not to worry! A lot of people aren't aware of it. I do sometimes feel like a broken record though ;)

Hi Kate

My sessions vary from 35 to 90 mins. Sometimes just the treadmill or a combination of strider, treadmill, stepper and weight training.

Hi JJ

Not to put a dampener on things but it's very unlikely you burn as many calories as you are estimating.

I know you're not exercising for weight loss, so it probably doesn't matter to you anyway, but that would explain why it's not showing up on the scales.

Anyway, keep up the good work! :)

Hi Kate

I'm going by the weightloss as stated on the machines in the gym. You enter your weight and by the number of minutes you work out it estimates the number of calories burned.

I wouldn't say this is 100% accurate but near enough as explained to me by a training instructer.

Hi JJ

The machines do tend to over-report the calories burned, even when they factor in your weight. The main reason I'm skeptical is that those numbers are above average even for someone who's eating normally. They're certainly possible, don't get me wrong, but if you're on CD as you've indicated, it's really unlikely.

I can't see why this can be wrong, I achieved greater weight loss on SW and working out this amount of calories in the gym with a personal trainer. Can he be wrong?

My arguement to my CD counsellors is that regardless of how much I train out in the gym it makes no affect on my weightloss. They have no answers for me and its frustrating to me as I could always judge on SW how much I would lose if I put in that extra effort. With CD this is not the case. I have given up by now of linking the two to weight loss, one is weight loss and the other keeping fit. This is one of the reasons why I will be returning to SW in May.

I would say, then, that the reason you lost more weight with SW and exercise was because you were taking in sufficient calories (also protein, carbs) to support that kind of exercise. If you actually are working hard enough to burn that many calories in a session, then you need to be eating more than you are on SS.

I'm confused though-even though we're on VLCD's doesn't exercise make us burn more calories?I'm thinking of anorexics who are also taking very few calories and who exercise obsessively to lose weight-it works for them so why would it be different for us?If we're exercising surely we need to burn more fat for energy, thereby losing more weight? Or am I missing something here? I can see why just walking wouldn't have much effect but I can't grasp how exercising at the gym would have no effect.

Back