Exercise

small_spoon

Hi guys
Well I am on day two and I have hit a wee problem!
I know exercise needs to be done to reach my goal but with my anxiety problems the gym and classes are out of the question :sigh:
Just wondering if any of you have a recommendation for exercising at home? maybe a dvd or work out program I could do in the safety of my living room?

Hey - don't worry too much about exercise at this stage.

I know how you feel ref anxiety - suffered with extreme anxiety and social phobias for about 10 years. Horrendous :(

A good DVD I used last year was Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred. It's quite tough, but only 20 mins a day and you can do it at your own pace. I am a big fan of Pilates too, but I personally would always do this in a class (if you can), because it is crucial that you get the postures right to stop you straining yourself.

Davina is also good I think :)

Hugs -

SD x

Ooh, or do Wii Fit?! :)

I dont have wii fit unfortunately but my oldest son is getting an xbox with kinect for Christmas so that will come in handy lol!
I will have a try of the Jillian Michaels thanks! Some more online shopping for me :)
My anxiety was kinda under control but after my last baby it just got so much worse!! I am trying to get medication sorted just now so fingers crossed. Its good to hear from someone who understands thank you :)

My pleasure...

Out of interest, do you know what triggers your anxiety? For me it was all around losing control in public or when travelling (passing out, needing the loo, getting ill etc) - I have IBS and it was all linked together in one big circle... go out > panic > get upset stomach > panic about losing control... or get upset stomach > panic about losing control if I go out. I don't know whether the tummy pains caused the panic, or vice versa.

ANYWAY - for me, doing a VLCD really helped. Total food replacement. I do not know your situation, so I wholeheartedly am NOT telling you that it is the answer for you - but just not having food in me gave me the comfort to know that getting ill was out of the equation and I had six months' head space to get myself straight. I did some 'scary' things (e.g. going to a new gym, going supermarket shopping ON MY OWN, getting stuck at a red light/in a traffic jam without spinning out) and coped. Then, when I started eating again I took those lessons with me.

I still worry now and again, and I occasionally get full blown hot prickly panics - but on the whole that six months changed everything.

Again, I am not suggesting you do a VLCD - but look at your trigger and see if there is anyway you can take yourself away from it for a while. Sometimes running away from a problem CAN help give you the space to get it into perspective.

Hugs. x

My problem is I am terrified of messing up. Even simple things like paying for something at the checkout. I panic the whole way there that I will do something wrong or make myself look weird. Of course after all the panicking I do look strange because I am so on edge! Then afterward I will freak out about looking strange. Its very frustrating as I know I am doing it to myself if only I could just calm down and relax!! I have been setting myself small goals like walk to the local shop to buy something or answering the phone and I have mastered that with the help of some beta blockers and anti ds so my next little goal is to get on a bus lol!
I dont know how I would manage with meal replacement to be honest. I love my food lol x

If you want something cheap and cheerful, you can buy dance mats that just plug into the tv and have the game/exercise built in. That might be fairly good value:)

I get scared of messing up in social situations too. Especially in shops! I saw a programme where a therapist makes people do/say things in public to draw attention to themselves. It'd supposed to de-sensitise you. Sounds like hell to me!

They always take things to extreme on the tv... Small spoon has the right idea... Set really small goals... Do it with a friend for extra confidence and support at first and don't beat yourself up if you take longer to get there ... Not dissimilar to the way to approach losing weight! Lol. Good luck with it :)

Oh my lovelies, please don't worry about doing weird things in public. I talk to myself, because I'm so used to talking to my cat (my only companion) but I have learnt that other people just don't care a damn! They all have their own worries - weird things - to deal with. You have every right to do as you like, when you like - only you can live your life! Do it your way, who cares!! If something that others say upsets you - imagine them naked! :8855: As for 'therapists' would they themselves do the things they ask others to do or are they too perfect? I expect they go home & get sloshed on wine their poor victims ( patients) have paid for.... Yeah, right!! :D

Last edited:
I just make a joke out of it. I've lost count of the times I've had to phone someone at work, they've answered, and my mind just goes completely blank. Can't remember why I called or who I wanted to speak to! So I just laugh it off and they laugh too. I'm soo much better than I used to be. Some of it comes with time I think- I'm in my 30s now and generally less bothered by everything. Hopefully this will continue!

I think I just find shops in general intimidating. Never been a big shopper. I can't stand when staff ask if I need any help, or comment on an item I'm looking at. Puts me right off.

Anyway, I suppose I'd better comment on exercise. I actually did Couch25k, which involved running around a park, so clearly I have some gumption! Since going very low-carb (only a couple of weeks) I have stopped all "extra" exercise, I just walk. I found when I tried to jog or hike uphill my muscles got more easily damaged and took longer to heal, and I was out of breath. So I'm waiting until I'm settled and happily burning fat, and will start again with sprints next week. I say sprints. I mean repeated short-duration slow jogs! ;)
I do feel the urge to exercise, so I think this is the right time to start again.

But anyway, my point is the same as spottydoris- don't worry about exercise at the start. I'm losing weight (at an astonishing speed) without it.

Well I managed to go out with my girlfriends yesterday for lunch. Went to the bar all by myself and ordered food so that was a good thing for me! Unfortunately the wine I ordered was not the best thing for me :sigh:
Small steps with my nerves and maybe one day I will be able to walk into a gym and not freak out lol x

Small steps sounds like the best thing with the anxiety issues. But don't discount hitting it head on when your having a good day - It'll help more than you know.

Also don't worry to much about the exercise portion yet. Start off slow maybe gentle walking in a park, a little light gardening, or a spring clean for the house would do. I'm not doing any exercise yet & won't until I need to.

One Idea did pop into my head. How about getting a salsa DVD (any dance would do) it will be good exercise, will improve your posture & will help your confidence (as is learning a new skill). When you've mastered the steps you could maybe consider a class - as you'll already be better than most others at the class.

Good luck whatever you choose, its not an easy path - but it is one worth treading.

I am slowly improving with the help of my meds and a bit of determination! lol! Some of my friends are gonna start classes (to lose a few pounds for before our christmas night out lol) I think I might try to tag along with them x

My pleasure...

Out of interest, do you know what triggers your anxiety? For me it was all around losing control in public or when travelling (passing out, needing the loo, getting ill etc) - I have IBS and it was all linked together in one big circle... go out > panic > get upset stomach > panic about losing control... or get upset stomach > panic about losing control if I go out. I don't know whether the tummy pains caused the panic, or vice versa.

ANYWAY - for me, doing a VLCD really helped. Total food replacement. I do not know your situation, so I wholeheartedly am NOT telling you that it is the answer for you - but just not having food in me gave me the comfort to know that getting ill was out of the equation and I had six months' head space to get myself straight. I did some 'scary' things (e.g. going to a new gym, going supermarket shopping ON MY OWN, getting stuck at a red light/in a traffic jam without spinning out) and coped. Then, when I started eating again I took those lessons with me.

I still worry now and again, and I occasionally get full blown hot prickly panics - but on the whole that six months changed everything.

Again, I am not suggesting you do a VLCD - but look at your trigger and see if there is anyway you can take yourself away from it for a while. Sometimes running away from a problem CAN help give you the space to get it into perspective.

Hugs. x
I have ibs and took medication for it,the pills stopped the pain for a few hours and the it would come back,my mate told me to drink Aloe Vera juice,since doing this i have never taken any tablets and it cleared up for a number of years,it comes back every now and then so i just buy some more Aloe Vera juice and it goes again give it a try.

brads

Just a thought, but my Mum was diagnosed with IBS many years ago & it slowly got worse until she was in agony most of the time & had the symptoms of a nasty stomach bug at least 2 weeks a month. But 3 years ago she was properly diagnosed as having a gluten intolerance. She completely altered her diet & is now a new person. almost no symptoms at all!!
The other thing she found is that after a couple of months she started losing loads of weight, & after 6 months of eating significantly more than before she had lost 3 stone!!!

The best way to work out if you are Gluten intolerant is to live on a gluten free diet for 2-4 weeks, if all your symptoms clear up you have an intolerance. - its really easy to do while on atkins.

Back