Exercise!

Diva

Cambridge Diet Counsellor
There doesn't seem to be much talk of exercise recently so was just wondering what kind of activity everyone does.

I recently watched the Biggest Loser UK Finale where Jodi was the winner and was not only impressed by her massive weight loss but also by how strong and healthy her body looked as a result of the exercise. That is my goal....to not only have a slimmer body but a much stronger, leaner and healthier body and I know that in order to do that then I have to exercise.

Its not that I don;t like exercise because I love being out and about and I love being on the move but I had got into a bit of a lazy rut so now need to move myself out of it. I'm not planning on doing sweaty gyms and that sort of thing but have dusted my bike off, bought a new helmet and am good to go!

Also looking at other things as well such as actually using my Tae Bo DVD for something other than a door stop!!! Plus, of course, walking at least half of the school run...bit too far to do the whole thing at 8.15 in the morning but then you never know! ;)

What about you guys...what activities do you do or are planning to do to shape up??

Well, I've been a lazy slob over Christmas so need to get my A into G ASAP!

I'll be going back to the gym at University (which I joined using money made from selling my bigger clothes on Ebay). I'll also be liberating my much-loved bike and making the effort to wrap up warm and take some brisk walks along the bay where I live.

DH and I took a long walk along the seafront on New Year's day - it really blew away the cobwebs and set me up for my CD restart on the 2nd!

I've also got a lateral thigh trainer (which to my shame I've never used!) but I've heard they're good so I'll be giving that a bash.

Well i went for a double restart yesterday..restarted on LL and at gym..going again today...i actually quite like it once ive made the effort to go! Im also thinking of buying the vicky entwistle dvd (Corrie actress was married to les, cant think of her character name?! D'oh!) that woman just seemed to shrink infront of our eyes, she went from a size 16-12 in 6 weeks with the exercise plan..sounds promising! I like her too, think she's pretty down to earth..if im gonna bu7y a celeb type exercise dvd its gotto be someone on my wave length, lets face it I'll never even emulate the likes of elle mcpherson et al....keeping it real in 2007!
:eek:
So, some on lets talk exercise.....x

RD, I also have a lateral thigh thingy and I have never really used it...will be wiping off the dust and giving it a bash.....best laid plans of mice and men eh?

Hi Diva

My shape up plan will be in the gym. When I started CD I dropped my workouts from Body Pump and spinning Classes, Cross Trainer, treadmill, stepper and weight training in the gym to just the treadmill and weight training. But I am now finding that this is too easy for me.

I plan to reintroduce the cross trainer and go back to Body Pump in end of March to build more strength and stamina.

The one thing I can't do is ride a bike, so happy cycling. It must be complete freedom.

Em, well my exercise bike has been looking at me for the past few months and I have ignored its glances....since I am going back to SS, I will be starting off with 15 mins a day on it.....I also have the Davina Po3, but I think that might be a bit much for right now, maybe try that in another months time!! There was an exercise DVD I saw advertised on TV yesterday that I really want to get, its more dancy than anything, think its Pump It.

I have one of those twist board thingys but always felt silly on it, might dust that off as well and give it a go!! I have a pilates DVD as well, its real cheesy americanised but I remember it being a bit of fun and its only 30 mins long!

I've been going to the gym 3-4 times a week since I reached goal and on the other days I go for a long walk.

Slacked off a bit before Christmas, and now can't exercise for 2 weeks, but I'll be back again quick sharp when that is over :)

At the gym I do weights, xcross trainer, bike and dreadmill.

The new Cambridge Fitness DVD is excellent as it is geared at all fitness levels, even for those who are unable to undertake other forms of exercise.

Also it is geared to the diet programmes. It uses real people and shows what can be achieved and goes up to quite a high level of fitness. There is also a great water aerobics section.

The Vicky Entwistle one looks really good her achievement is amazing.

Linda

I was reading about Vicky Entwhistle's (aka Janice Battersby :D) weight loss yesterday and WOW!!! She has gone from a size 16 to a size 6 :eek: It really suits her though because she is quite small!

My cousin has a lateral thigh trainer and swears by it....and I must admit she does have good legs! :D

Am waiting for my CD Exercise DVD to arrive and can't wait.....certainly not buying anymore fitness DVD's though as I have a fair few! :rolleyes:

Has anyone tried Dynabands? Apparently they're supposed to be really good....

I used to be the worlds biggest couch potato. I was so bad that I once refused to get out at the multiplex cinema as the car was parked too far away!

I think the secret is to only do stuff you enjoy. I love weights and yoga and pilates. I also love to run as it makes me feel good but I'm rubbish. I run in a nature reserve so that people don't crash their cars looking at my chest bounce (34J). but if I see anyone I pretend to be walking!

This year I want to climb a Munro (hill over 3000ft) as I live in Scotland it's easy enough to find one and there will be 50lbs less of me to take up there.

I used to be the worlds biggest couch potato. I was so bad that I once refused to get out at the multiplex cinema as the car was parked too far away!

I think the secret is to only do stuff you enjoy. I love weights and yoga and pilates. I also love to run as it makes me feel good but I'm rubbish. I run in a nature reserve so that people don't crash their cars looking at my chest bounce (34J). but if I see anyone I pretend to be walking!

This year I want to climb a Munro (hill over 3000ft) as I live in Scotland it's easy enough to find one and there will be 50lbs less of me to take up there.

Soraya....how did you start off, was it just gentle walking then jogging, etc or did you do stuff at home?

Dynabands are great - resistance work without having to cart heavy weights around with you.

I do 6 Body Combat, 1 Body Balance and 4 aerobics classes per week (the aerobics classes each include about 15 minutes of resistance exercise) so my plan for this year is to do more strength and flexibility training, because I don't do enough. I'm also dropping two of the aerobics classes.

I've decided I want to lose 2 stone(ish) this year so I need to build some muscle!

Ahhhhhh Kate! ;) I was hoping that you were around somewhere!! :) :D

I haven't been on much over Christmas and New Year cos I've been off visiting family, but oh yes, I'm most definitely around - I'm getting married in August so I will be joining in with all the weight losing goodness again as I have to shift the last little bit in order to look superfantastic in my frock! :)

There is a resistant band you can get to use in conjunction with the CD DVD you can really feel the muscles working and there is one specifically aimed at the bingo-wings bit of the arm.

I have been exercising pretty regularly since august - did the Great South Run in October and have carried on from there. Have also introduced a swimming session once a week and a couple of mountain biking sessions with my hub.

I too have been inspired by jodi!!!

WELL WHILST VISITING MY BROTHER IN HOSPITAL I HAVNT EXERCISED AS SUCH.........BUT OMG.....THE WALK FROM THE CAR PARK TO INTENSIVE CARE WAS MILES...THE HOSPITAL IS LIKE A MAZE AND WE NEVER USED THE LIFT ONCE SO DID THE STEPS, WOW DID MY LEGS ACHE, BUT FELT BETTER FOR IT.

BACK TO MY STEPPER MACHINE NOW IM HOME

Hi, My DH is into fitness generally. When we met, I was just changing out of my couch potatoness and he was adamant that he didn't want to be involved as I 'had to find my own solutions' Very Zen, but not helpful!

He gave me a long questionaire to fill out that asked questions about when my energy levels were highest (at the time they were low all the time!), whether it would give me a sense of achievement to workout before my day or whether it would energise me in the evening. Also, whether I enjoyed team sports, activites with people, social stuff etc. Also, what I wanted - weight loss, tone, cardio fitness. Lastly, what your work/family schedule is like are you away a lot, have family stuff in the evening etc

I'm very sociable and always tried to do team sports in the evening. To my surprise, I realised that I enjoy things that allow me to focus on what I'm doing and give my mind some quiet time like yoga and weight training. Also, I'm away a lot so team sports are a bad idea!

I initially did callanetics (going back a bit) and then Tae Bo. But I found that working out at home was harder for me. I now go the gym before work - I get an hours work out and don't spend the time sat in traffic. Also, once I'm home in the evening - nothing is getting me out to do anything!

I joined a gym which I later found out was the serious gym in Aberdeen, and used their womens gym.

I didnt realise this at the time, but quite a few of the big body builders told my DH that they admired my guts and dedication. They reckon it's easy to walk into a gym when you're slim, but that it take real determination when you aren't. He never told me and it's a good job too as it was my aim to be invisible!

Also. I picked something that inspired me - the Race for Life. I've done it 3 times, the 1st time I didn't even know if I could walk 3 miles. I raised a fortune in sponsorship as everyone thought I had no chance of finishing! Last year I ran it!

Sorry about the long reply, the main thing is to do what you enjoy at the times you will go to it. I can't believe it took me 10years to work that out!

Back