Exercises to strengthen my knee?

Caz

Repeat Offender
I sometimes find that one of my knees plays up a bit. It's not too bad, just achy and sometimes hurts a little during exercise. Thought it might be worth trying to do some things to strengthen it maybe, are there any specific things I could do does anyone know?

Have you been to the doctors to maybe check for arthritis? It's probably nothing but it's obviously bad enough for you to notice, so it might be worth getting it checked out. Fish oil capsules and foods high in Omega 3 are meant to be good for keeping joints flexible so that could help you. As for exercise, anything that's low impact would be best. So things like swimming as the water holds you up, cycling, even walking as long as you don't over do it. Things like high impact aerobics or jogging are probably not a good idea.

You might also benefit from buying a sports bandage, so that when your knee does feel achy, the bandage can give you extra support x

Hi Caroline, I get dodgy knees too which feel a bit uncomfortable and swell up.. I tend to stay away from high impact exercise like running and aerobics when it hurts and stick to lower impact like biking or fast walking. Also make sure you never stand with your knees locked (like I always do!) as this seems to make it worse.Perhaps mention it to GP? x

Thanks for the replies. I might speak to my doctor about it but to be honest, I don't really have the time. I leave the house before surgery starts and get back when it's finished and I don't feel like this is important enough for me to miss uni/school over. It doesn't hurt much, can just feel it, if that makes sense? I've started taking fish oil with omega 3 a couple of weeks ago, not sure if I've noticed any difference yet though. I might try taking 2 a day as well, see if that helps a bit more.

I had trouble with my knees and was referred to a physio as my quads were stronger than my hamstrings so it was pulling my knee joint to hard the wrong way. They gave me some one legged squats to do and something else i can't remember. Ironically by the time i got the appointment the problem had gone and now 3 years later its back again a bit (from lots of running and walking) and i can only remember the problem and one of the exercises , d'oh! I might go back!

Back