Exercising issues

sarah.w

Hey everyone,

I started weight watchers again 2 weeks ago and i lost 4 pounds which i was really happy with. I was very careful with my diet making sure i stuck to my points allowance and was exercising everyday. I began with doing a lighter exercise to build up my endurance and then added interval training once i thought i was able to handle it.

I feel so much better but a couple of days ago i began experiencing pain in my shins on both legs, im going to go to the GP to see whats wrong but it only occurs during and after exercises. Now ive stopped exercising to give my legs some healing time but i feel so depressed that i cant continue it.

Does anyone have any exercises i can do without it affecting my legs? perhaps some sitting down exercises or something that will help me, because i feel crap about not exercising.

what exercise are you doing?

shin splints sounds the most common shin issue. can only be diagnosed with a scan whatever your doc says (you have a drug in jected then x ray or scan).

If it is its either overuse (muscle problem) hairline fracture (bone) or collapsing arches in foot or pronation (stretch to tendon or muscle) or even excessive hip rotation. Each needs rest but worth pursuing treatment to get diagnosis as it has a nasty way of coming back....

non weight bearing exercise - swimming or cycling or perhaps some weights with upper body?

what exercise are you doing?

shin splints sounds the most common shin issue. can only be diagnosed with a scan whatever your doc says (you have a drug in jected then x ray or scan).

If it is its either overuse (muscle problem) hairline fracture (bone) or collapsing arches in foot or pronation (stretch to tendon or muscle) or even excessive hip rotation. Each needs rest but worth pursuing treatment to get diagnosis as it has a nasty way of coming back....

non weight bearing exercise - swimming or cycling or perhaps some weights with upper body?

thankyou, i hope its not serious and just something manageable like a muscle pull, but i guess ill have to wait and find out.

I began with doing the weight watchers exercise programme and then slowly added this Quick weight loss workout to help YOU Lose 15 pounds fast - YouTube

and then this:
You can actually lose 50 pounds or more doing this workout at home - YouTube

i only did the two youtube ones 3 times a week

mmm well a lot of those are anterior exercises (muscles at front of body). get a balance and do posterior ones (not just meaning your bum but back, hamstrings etc..,)

youll notice with these your feet are firm on the ground, often driving from the heel. the flexing of your arch maybe the reason for your problems.

Try these instead

Kneeling Pushup or
Regular Pushup
Bridge Hold
Gladiator Hold
Horizontal Windmill
Table Tops
Burbie Exercise
Chair Dips
Squats
Lunge
Lateral Lunge
Abdominal Crunch
Alternating Elbow to Knee
90 Degree Crunch
Leg Raises
Jackknife
Plank
Superman

sounds like shin splints to me too. fingers crossed its nothing more and remember to stretch before and after exercise thoroughly as this will help immensely. Also, my PT said that as soon as u start to feel this pain, slow right down in what u r doing as ul add to it if u continue, listen to your body as the myth 'no pain no gain' is nt entirely true!! Good luck and i hope it gets better soon :)

You should take a look at pressure socks that runners and atheletes use.
I have some and use them when I work out and it really makes a difference!
I got Nike ones as those were the only that were a decent price here in Holland (about 16 pounds, others I looked at costed about 45 to 50 gbp!!).
You can find a fair few at amazon :)

if you go down the sock route....1. get good shoes 2. inserts can help (arch collapse can be cause of splints) 3. cho-pat shin splint sleeve works very well from reviews ive seen....

I think one of the first things to look at is are your shoes giving you enough support? Old trainers or your your usual pair don't necessarily work for high intensity exercise. I agree that shin splints sounds the most likely. Hope it heals soon x

Back