Exploding Tetra!

MadamDotty

Back again!
Honestly and I mean exploding!

Have you ever seen a grown woman dripping from head to foot in Choc Velvet (steady now) no? Then you should have been in my dining room earlier this evening.

I had a delivery yesterday and noticed that one of the choc velvet tetras looked a bit bigger than the rest, it was just slightly bulging, but I didn't take that much notice of it. Earlier on I was getting some tetras for a client and noticed it again, it now looked a lot bigger, so after my client left I called to my daughter and asked if she wanted a tetra as I didn't want to sell it on to someone. But when I picked it up I realised how bulging it now was and it felt completely solid, so I didn't think anyone should have it and told Georgia to get herself another one (she's a Choc Velvet fan) and I'd just throw this one away and then KABOOOM it exploded in my hand, covering me, the dining table, dining chairs, the floor, the door, the wall in choc velvet, it was just dripping off me. Georgia had just gone out of the room so didn't get hit but came back to see what the commotion was about and we just stood there laughing our heads off for about 5 minutes, meanwhile the dog's scooting around my ankles licking up the floor. It took ages to clear up and I bet I've missed some, it went really sticky too - thank goodness I've got laminate floors, doesn't bear thinking about what it would have been like to get off carpet!

Has this happened to anyone else, I can't imagine what was wrong with it to do this. The tetra that Georgia drank was in the same batch of three and it was perfectly ok, so what made this one explode I just don't know.

Funny though - thank goodness I didn't sell it to a client :eek:

That happens to loads of products in modified atmosphere packaging, just you don't see it everyday!

I used to work on the customer service desk at sainsburys so I would get the disgruntled customer shouting at me and demanding we pay for the dry-cleaning/carpet cleaning etc!

I don't know the official answer, I presume it's when a chemical reaction happens with the air and product inside??:confused:

But what a kodak moment hey! would have loved to see that lol

Oh my shame there was no camera around it would have been good to see it on here. Good job it wasnt a carpeted floor, especially whilst trying to sell the house.

Hey Jan,
Are you sure you didn't have a colonic??
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Ooh Kathy I missed this post. ROFL, I have so many answers to this but not sure any of them should be put on a public site :D Suffice to say I'd rather clear up my mess than yours :p :p :p

MD - you have my sympathy!!
I had the exact same thing with a choc velvet the other week, as I took it from the cellophane the bits at the top and bottom of the carton pinged out, I gave it a squeeze - god knows why, but....HUGE mistake....and Boom!!!!!
Mine was at 6am, and I'd just finished getting ready for work! lol

Oh my shame there was no camera around it would have been good to see it on here. Good job it wasnt a carpeted floor, especially whilst trying to sell the house.

Luckily it was after a viewing and not 5 mins before!

MD - you have my sympathy!!
I had the exact same thing with a choc velvet the other week, as I took it from the cellophane the bits at the top and bottom of the carton pinged out, I gave it a squeeze - god knows why, but....HUGE mistake....and Boom!!!!!
Mine was at 6am, and I'd just finished getting ready for work! lol

ROFL - that's even worse than mine. Must be something in the air! :p

hey happened to me too, noticed one of tetras had gone puffed up then about 10 mins later it was rock hard like it had been pumped full of air, i was worried that it was going to go bang so i chucked it in the wheelie bin, when it hit the bottom it went BANG like when someone jumps on a ribena carton they have blown into[know that annoying schoolyard trick]
lukcily it got mostly on the bin but a bit hit my shoulder
very weird
nat xxxxxxxx

Was this recently Nat? As it happened to a few of us I think I'll mention it to Cambridge, wonder if they've got a problem somewhere.

I had one the other week..... I remember being told about the odd exploding one last year, so I took it outside... and not a minute too soon either!

We had a nice long chocolate streak along the drive and up the wall (oh, and across my white collie :eek: - serves him right for being nosy!) This one mainly shot out of the 'straw hole'- must have been a weak one :D

Very interesting - wonder if the warmer weather is doing something to them.

i shall be a lot more wary of bulging packets :)eek: ooh err) of tetras of course, in the future :p

Yes i had one a week ago that went off in the cupboard where i keep them - covered EVERYTHING in horrible slimy chocolate goo and then because i did not know it was there had gone off! The smell was rancid and had to bin some of the ones closest to the one that went bang.

In the past have had deliveries where they have exploded and on contacting Cambridge they have credited me. This time I didn't bother.

Only happened with the choc ones as far as I remember ....

Yuck - that sounds pretty awful Bev.

I didn't bother contacting Cambridge as it was only one tetra, but probably will do it it happens again.

Back