Extra Easy Extra Easy 1/3 Fruit & Veg

SineadUK

Was just wondering - if you have a meal that does not contain 1/3 F&V - can you eat fruit straight after the meal to make up for this?

Our consultant says no but I can't see why not?

I've had the same conversation with my hubby!!! (I'm on your side!) He adamantly refused, so I told him to put the fruit on my plate then!!!! ;0)

The reason your consultant advised not to have the fruit after the meal is that the fruit / veg / superfree is supposed to fill you up and stop you overeating on the free and synned foods. So, if you've already eaten the free / synned foods it defeats the whole philosophy of eating the superfree if you have it afterwards.

Does that make sense or am I waffling?!

Haha exactly. If I have to i will invest in a larger plate so I can include the fruit.

Like beans on toast for example - there isn't really veg I would want to put with that so easier to have some fruit straight after

You're not supposed to because the superfree is supposed to be there to limit the intake of the other food. You could eat some BEFORE, and that would count, because the idea is that you're filling up on that with the least amount of calories, so if you stop when you're full that you'll be leaving the free food that contains more calories. Eating it afterwards is pointless for the whole idea of the EE plan.

No, it does matter, on the extra easy plan you can have 'free foods' simply because adding a third superfree to your plate naturally limits the amount of free foods you can eat and be satisfied. If you simply eat free food to the point of satisfaction and then 'fit in' a bit of fruit after, you will be overeating on 'free food'.

If you dont want to have veg or fruit with your beans on toast, no-one here really wants to make you, but its not extra easy you're following You're following your own plan (which is fine, but I'm not sure it will be as effective). You could try having some fruit or a salad before hand if it makes it easier.

Hope that helps.

It does matter. The whole point of super free is to limit your calorie intake. If you have some fruit & then have e beans on toast then (presuming you follow the rule ref stopping when you are full) then you are likely to stop eating the free food & heb rather than the super free, and therefore you will be reducing your calorie intake.

It's up to you, but if you want a plan to work its generally worth following it as your consultant says to.

No, it does matter, on the extra easy plan you can have 'free foods' simply because adding a third superfree to your plate naturally limits the amount of free foods you can eat and be satisfied. If you simply eat free food to the point of satisfaction and then 'fit in' a bit of fruit after, you will be overeating on 'free food'.

If you dont want to have veg or fruit with your beans on toast, no-one here really wants to make you, but its not extra easy you're following You're following your own plan (which is fine, but I'm not sure it will be as effective). You could try having some fruit or a salad before hand if it makes it easier.

Hope that helps.

Yep - it's part of the plan that you're paying every week to follow. What's the point of paying for a consultant if you're going to ignore their advise?

Completely up to you though obviously.

I mean it not every meal I was just wondering more out of curiosity. When I haves meal that don't quite have 1/3 fruit and veg I always try an make it up with fruit. It does work for my weight loss. Not so much for my friends though which is why I was querying. I have mugshots quite alot as a quick lunch option so always follow with fruit.

Thanks for the info :)

I wouldn't quite say its ignoring. More adapting to fit in with a daily routine - so perfectly happy with the results so far. I was just interested in the logic behind it which has now benzene clarified :)

Its OK to miss the superfree in the odd meal where it really wouldnt work, but in general it really is part of the plan and essential that you do it.

Beans on toast is probably a bad example as thats something that comes in a fixed amount anyway (the size of a tin of beans/the size of a slice of bread) so having superfree *might not* limit the amount you eat - having said that if you had mushrooms, tomatoes etc with it you could quite easily have ONE slice of bread and a SMALL tin of beans instead of TWO slices and a LARGE tin of beans. Fish and chips is another meal where people often dont have superfree as theres not a great deal that goes with it.

Its fine to skip on the odd occasion, just as its fine to skip a HEX or flexi syn on the pdd occasion - but as a general rule your superfree really are key to the plan. You can always have fruit or something else superfree BEFORE your meal or maybe as a starter or something. If all else fails just fill your plate 2/3 full and leave it at that :)

My consultant has a plate with the 1/3 drawn on it with pretty pictures to "visualise" the quantities. I have never eaten so much fruit & veg in my life!!! But realise I hadn't been thinking about it that "logically" before.....

I do the Mugshot thing at lunch, followed by fruit. I way just swap it around!!!! Thank you for the info :thankyou:

Actually SW are quite happy for you to have your superfree for dessert, although obviously having it with or before your meal is the ideal for the reasons given above This was confirmed by email to SW HQ and if you look at the menus in magazine there are meals where this is done.

I tend to eat an apple or something while the food is cooking but with something that is a set amount such as beans on toast I don't see why having it after isn't just as acceptable. Obviously in an IDEAL world we all eat sf before or during the meal but if we eat it after it prevents has having seconds or snacks that don't include the sf, if that makes sense??
Obviously if weight losses slowed then it would technically be a 'tweak' to correct.

Re: the fish and chips..

put mushy peas with it ( not superfree, but they are SS )..
also pickled onions, beetroot, red cabbage etc..
couple of grilled mushrooms maybe?
grilled tomato?
all will cut down on th volume of chips..

Re: beans on toast..
Again, mushrooms go well with it..
you can "dilute" the beans by having half beans, half tinned toms..
I quite like some onion chopped up into my beans before I microwave them..

I confess I have been adding the tomatoes & beans together for a full breakfast.... but to make less pots for the wash!!!

Re: the fish and chips..

put mushy peas with it ( not superfree, but they are SS )..
also pickled onions, beetroot, red cabbage etc..
couple of grilled mushrooms maybe?
grilled tomato?
all will cut down on th volume of chips..

My answer to fish & chips is just to make Superfree chips - celeriac makes great chips! Or you could use swede or squash or something but to me these arent like 'real' chips, but celeriac's pretty close! :)

The way I look at it (and I must stress that this is MY opinion only) is that superfree is fruit AND vegetables, not fruit OR vegetables. And if I had superfree with a meal it would normally be vegetables, so if I had it as fruit afterwards I wouldn't be getting enough vegetables (which we all ought to be eating more of).

So I would count a salad as a starter towards that meal's superfree, but not fruit afterwards (although I often have fruit as a dessert, I would count that as a snack, not the 1/3 for that meal).

Reading that through again I am not sure I am making myself clear, but at least I know what I mean!!

Last edited:
I'll be honest I never have 1/3 superfree at breakfast as I use my HE's. I have fruit mid morning x

Back