Extra Easy - Banger Casserole

CornishPisky

Sausages & Bacon in a sweet & tangy sauce... my family adore this.

1lb of low syn sausages
8 rashers of bacon, all fat removed.
1 onion, finely chopped
1 small red pepper seeded & diced
2 tablespoons of tomato sauce
4 tablespoons of wine or cider vinegar (I use ordinary malt :D)
2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons dried mustard
2 teaspoons of sweet chilli sauce, or a few drops of Tobasco
1 tin of chopped tomatoes, or carton of passata
Sweetner to taste, approx 5 tablespoons...

Sweat the onions til soft, add peppers & cook for a few minutes.
Add all the other ingredients bar sausages & bacon. Bring to boil, & simmer for 20 minutes, dont let it reduce too much, I put a lid on for half the time, and leave it off for the rest, so not too much water evaporates.

Meantime, grill the bacon & sausages. When everything is cooked, dice the sausages & cut the bacon into strips, mix into the sauce.

Serve over plain boiled rice.

I often have a chicken breast instead of sausages, or sometimes diced pork.

You can freeze the sauce too, just dont add any meat. Allow to cool, then portion & freeze.

CornishPisky said:
Sausages & Bacon in a sweet & tangy sauce... my family adore this.

1lb of low syn sausages
8 rashers of bacon, all fat removed.
1 onion, finely chopped
1 small red pepper seeded & diced
2 tablespoons of tomato sauce
4 tablespoons of wine or cider vinegar (I use ordinary malt :D)
2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons dried mustard
2 teaspoons of sweet chilli sauce, or a few drops of Tobasco
1 tin of chopped tomatoes, or carton of passata
Sweetner to taste, approx 5 tablespoons...

Sweat the onions til soft, add peppers & cook for a few minutes.
Add all the other ingredients bar sausages & bacon. Bring to boil, & simmer for 20 minutes, dont let it reduce too much, I put a lid on for half the time, and leave it off for the rest, so not too much water evaporates.

Meantime, grill the bacon & sausages. When everything is cooked, dice the sausages & cut the bacon into strips, mix into the sauce.

Serve over plain boiled rice.

I often have a chicken breast instead of sausages, or sometimes diced pork.

You can freeze the sauce too, just dont add any meat. Allow to cool, then portion & freeze.

This sounds yummy , how many Syns is it per serving ?

Hi, well the sausages are as per as many syns as the ones you use, Morrisons used to be free, but I think are 1 syn each now, and ditto Weightwatchers ones, (which is why I tend to use chicken for me), I use the Tabasco as its free, (chilli sauce is 1 syn per tablespoon I think) and Tomato sauce the same, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, however, you can use tomato puree (at half the quantity as its stronger), or indeed leave it out if you want. Plenty of tomato in the passata!

Everything else is free. So it can be entirely syn free if you want...!:D:D

CornishPisky said:
Hi, well the sausages are as per as many syns as the ones you use, Morrisons used to be free, but I think are 1 syn each now, and ditto Weightwatchers ones, (which is why I tend to use chicken for me), I use the Tabasco as its free, (chilli sauce is 1 syn per tablespoon I think) and Tomato sauce the same, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, however, you can use tomato puree (at half the quantity as its stronger), or indeed leave it out if you want. Plenty of tomato in the passata!

Everything else is free. So it can be entirely syn free if you want...!:D:D

Omg got to make this ASAP !!
Im discovering so many things I have always always avoided because of calories but so many gorgeous recipes that mean I still lose weight , I'm loving it !!

Back