Extra easy: strawberry & peach breakfast smoothie

Eamoo

Thought I'd share this great breakfast smoothie recipe I discovered this morning. It uses 2.5 syns (on extra easy) but it is well worth it!

To make a large glass put into a blender:

- 1/2 banana
- small glass frozen strawberries
- small glass tinned peaches (in juice not syrup)
- small glass orange juice (1.5 syns)
- 1tsp clear honey (1 syn)
- 1tbsp fat free natural yoghurt
- 28g porridge oats (Healthy extra B)

Blend together and drink!

The porridge oats are an addition I made to the recipe - it's a great way to get in my HE B and makes the smoothie very filling.

Sounds lovely, however tinned fruit needs to be synned as does blending ANY fruit. Fruit is only free in it's raw form. Once you cook, blend or puree it, it has to be synned.

I thought smoothies were ok as long as you're making them yourself so you know exactly what's in there?

Also looked on the list of syns/healthy extras for tinned peaches and they weren't on there.

Thought I'd share this great breakfast smoothie recipe I discovered this morning. It uses 2.5 syns (on extra easy) but it is well worth it!

To make a large glass put into a blender:

- 1/2 banana
- small glass frozen strawberries
- small glass tinned peaches (in juice not syrup)

Blend together and drink!

The porridge oats are an addition I made to the recipe - it's a great way to get in my HE B and makes the smoothie very filling.

Yeah, like Brit Mum said tinned, pureed and cooked fruit needs synning:

- 1/2 banana 2 syns
- small glass frozen strawberries 2 syns per 100g
- small glass tinned peaches (in juice not syrup) 2.5syns per 100g

So works out up to 9 syns Id guess, depending how big a glass you use, plus your HEXB :(

I thought smoothies were ok as long as you're making them yourself so you know exactly what's in there?

Also looked on the list of syns/healthy extras for tinned peaches and they weren't on there.

No I think youre thinking of soup. Its OK to cook and blend veg as theres virtually no sugar in it, but fruit has lots of sugar which is released when you cook or blend it so it has to be synned. Tinned fruit is already partially cooked so again lots of sugars released and had to be synned.

p. 25 of the book shows your fruit HEXBs "dried, canned & cooked fruit". If its not on there its not a HEX so you have to syn it.

Back