Fabulous first week - now to keep the motivation going!

Chilli is one of my favourite foods. When I had a half-hearted attempt at SW a good few years ago (before EE) I hated that I had to make my chilli with Quorn or soya substitute OR leave out/syn the kidney beans and sweetcorn that I always put in. Quorn chilli just isn't the same to me. And I have issues with Quorn of all types to be honest, it upsets my stomach (especially the sausages, my word they make me gassy, bloated and give me cramps!). So finding EE and making "real" chilli again but without all the fat has been a revelation. I have just replaced the fat with spices.

I've been out to buy my Mother's Day flowers - in fact I have bought a smaller bunch of flowers and a plant that she can keep after the flowers have died. Just have to try to keep the plant alive until tomorrow. I'm not joking. I can kill spider plants and apparently that's not easy...all the plants in my house are fake, they're the only ones that survive :D

Just had a delivery of a frozen parcel of food to trial as well. I'm on one of those opinion panels and food manufacturers often send out products for tasting before they produce them commercially. I'm not supposed to reveal anything about the product - but having opened the packaging (always grey, anonymous bags, very hush hush!) it's not looking good for this one. I think I can safely say it's fish based and they want me to microwave it for a very long time in my view. With the miniscule portion of fish they've supplied that is going to make it tough as old boots! Oh well, I shall test it out and then probably spit it out :sign0137:. To be honest, of the last five or six things I've tasted I would only buy one of them. But being on the panel gets me free Amazon vouchers so I can feed my ever growing Kindle habit.

Just scoffed a quarter of a honeydew melon and in a rare occurrence, it was actually properly ripe! You know what it's like - you buy the thing rock hard, keep it on a sunny windowsill, keep it with the bananas (supposed to ripen other fruits with the gas they give off), keep it in the bloody airing cupboard and nothing - it does not ripen one iota. So you eventually cut it open to discover it's on the point of going runny....well not with this one! An Aldi special - I think it was £1.29 yesterday and it's gloriously sweet and so juicy I am now wearing most of it. Ahem. I can't see that surviving long, either :drool:

LOL on the melon - I usually have the same terrible results with avocado :) And ditto on the Quorn, it gives me awful tummy aches.

Re Kindle, there's a fan website called dailyfreebooks.co.uk - you can register for an email to get the day's free books in the categories you select. I love it - a few are duds but mostly they are OK to very good - and free :) I'm up to 1000 books on my kindle app now :eek:.

Sunday March 30th 2014

EE today

B : All Bran (HEXB), strawberries, Aldi yoghurt (1.5 syns), banana

L : (At Mum's) Roast lamb, roast potatoes, new potatoes, veggies, gravy, mint sauce (8.5 syns)

D : Banana, clementines, ML Greek lemon yoghurt (0.5 syns), honeydew melon

HEXA : Milk in tea

Snacks : Fruit

So that makes the running syns total for Day 4/7 : 29.5/105

Last edited:
Back from lunch at Mum's. Extremely good :eat:

IMG_1342.jpg

Not quite as bad syn-wise as I expected. I had three roast potatoes (2 medium, one tiny) and about 3 syns worth of gravy. The rest - lamb, new potatoes, cauliflower, chantennay carrots, asparagus and butter beans were all free. With a smidge of mint sauce, I'm calling that 8.5 syns. Worth every one.

Since I got home I've had some fruit and a ML Greek lemon yoghurt (1/2 syn). I doubt I'll eat much else now but I do need to prep tomorrow's lunch. I've got some of the Aldi Piri Piri chicken breasts in the fridge, might cook those and then I can use them cold in salad for Monday / Tuesday. They're 3 syns each according to the online thingy.

Monday March 30th 2014

Back to work today and I'm obviously better as I'm quite looking forward to it!

EE today :

B : All Bran (HEXB), strawberries, Aldi yoghurt (1.5), banana

L : Piri piri chicken (3 syns), mixed salad, pickles, FF dressing

D : Gammon, SW chips, salad

Snacks : Fruit, 2 bite size sausage rolls from a buffet laid on at the office (5 syns)

Last edited:
That roast dinner looks scrumptious!I can never be bothered to cook a roast just for me. Hope work goes well!

It was lovely, but then Mum's roasts always are :)

I often cook a "roast" just for myself. It might only be a couple of chicken thighs and some roasties / parsnips but the rest of the veg is easy (mine usually comes from bags of frozen stuff as it's less wasteful) and all my gravy comes from Bisto Best jars. If I cook a whole chicken or joint then I always make up some TV dinners with the leftovers and make stock etc.

It was nice to have a roast cooked for me though. (I did do the washing up!).

Good morning Theria! Glad to hear you're feeling better. My ma has come down with a very nasty bug, I think there's lots going around.

*sprays dettol*

Good morning Theria! Glad to hear you're feeling better. My ma has come down with a very nasty bug, I think there's lots going around.

*sprays dettol*

Oh no! I had to be sure I wasn't infectious before I went round yesterday. Both of my parents had spells in hospital last year and they're still not right so I am a bit careful if I feel "buggy". Hope your Mum starts feeling better soon x

Confession time : yet another buffet in the office today and the left overs *seemed* pretty damn tempting! I had two bite size sausage rolls. (Then I managed to divert the rest of the left overs to the office next door so there was no more temptation!) So that's 5 syns. They weren't worth it to be honest - my tastebuds are definately changing because I'd have wolfed them and most of the rest of the leftover a few months ago. Just because it was there. Now, I had those two and they were a bit soggy, a bit gluey and not awfully tasty. But on the up side, I had planned to have an afternoon snack anyway and it would have been a bag of crisps at 4.5 syns so I'm not exactly a major synner! It all fits within the plan, no guilt.

Edited to add : On the bus on the way home I was thinking about this. Why did I start that post with "Confession Time"? I don't feel guilty about eating the damn things. Regretful, yes - the crisps would have been much nicer. Isn't it odd how past eating habits are so hard to break, how past thinking is so ingrained into us? Philosophy Mode OFF. :)

Last edited:
Odd evening...haven't been hungry enough for my planned meal. I've had some cold meat and some fruit and I suspect that'll be all I bother with. No sense in eating when I'm not hungry. (Now that's a change in outlook!). I'll probably make up for it tomorrow :)

Monday March 30th - amended

EE (but could have been Red if I'd realised!) :

L : Piri piri chicken (3 syns), mixed salad, pickles, FF dressing

D : Cold meat, fruit

Snacks : Fruit, 2 bite size sausage rolls from a buffet laid on at the office (5 syns)

Weekly syns : Day 5/7 - 39/105

Tuesday April 1st 2014

EE or Red today - will depend on dinner

L : Aldi Piri Piri chicken (3 syns), mixed salad, pickles, FF dressing

D :
Gammon with mashed potatoes veggies and gravy (3 syns)

Snacks : Fruit, bag of french fries (4 syns)

April? Already? :eek:

Last edited:
I KNOW! How can it be April? Wasn't Christmas just a couple of weeks ago? Dear, oh dear, I'm going to be hitting 41 this month and I'm not entirely sure that I'm going to manage that without a complete tantrum!

Due to some poor planning on my part (otherwise known as work!), I'll be away from home on Thursday morning - my usual WI day. Now, should I weigh in tomorrow morning or leave it until Friday?

Well I decided to weigh in today instead of waiting until Friday. 2lbs off! :bliss:

Gunning for the 19s next week.

:happy036::party0011:
:worthy: @ Theria!

Bring on the 19's!

Wednesday 2nd April 2014

Thank you both :thankyou:

Right - today :

B : All Bran (HEXB), strawberries, Aldi yoghurt (1.5 syns)

L : Possibly a Ham and turkey Subway salad on the way to my train (Syns in the dressing - 3?)

D : No idea - another one of my nights away for work so I will be wandering the streets of a strange town looking for food hehehe

Snacks : I have a lunchbox packed with an apple, a banana, 3 clementines and 2 Alpen Light bars (either a HEXB or 5.5 syns if I have them both)

So the day has the potential to be a Red one, depending on what I find for dinner.

Well, the Subway shop I was going to call in at for lunch has closed down. So I ended up in the M&S food shop at the station. Picked up a Count On Us Tuna and Three Bean salad. It was lovely, with a salsa dressing. Despite being full of beans and a few new potatoes, it was only 6 syns, even on a Red day. Not a bad choice on the hoof so to speak.

Back