Facebook

Discussion in 'Slimming World Off Topic' started by AnnaFaraday, 8 June 2011 Social URL.

1. AnnaFaraday

AnnaFaraday ..

For those of you who use Facebook, you might find this of interest. I have just been told that, without any warning, Facebook has activated its "facial recognition" system.

I have to say that I don't quite understand this myself, but the message I received from a friend was as follows:

Facebook has enabled facial recognition technology in the UK and EU without telling people. This allows photos of you posted by other people to have your name suggested as being in that photo, by scanning other photos of you that look similar. To disable this, to go Account, Privacy Settings, Customise settings, Things others share, Suggest photos of me to friends, Edit Settings, Disable.

There are newspaper articles on this which you can find with google.

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. kingleds

kingleds Gold Member

Diet:
    SW all the way
    One of the many reason i am not on facebook!!

4. Mini_Mog

Mini_Mog Silver Member

Start Weight:
    16st5.5lb
    Current Weight:
    14st8.5lb
    Lost(%):
    1st11lb(10.89%)
    Diet:
    VLCD, slimming world (currently)
    It's been doing this for a while, when I uploaded my wedding photos it made suggestions for who may be in the photos and it did make tagging quicker. This was a good few months ago. Id imagine it will only suggest people in your friends list but it does seem like another invasion of privacy.

5. fillymum

fillymum synful soul

Start Weight:
    107kg
    Current Weight:
    85kg
    Goal Weight:
    79kg
    Lost(%):
    22kg(20.56%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Nor am I. I unsubscribed myself. I disliked it so much and saw so many problems created by people on facebook.

Even my lovely, shy Paul was stalked lol !!!!

6. woodmouse

woodmouse Gold Member

Diet:
    various then S&S/Paleo now 5:2 with 16.8
    I always had a resistance to going on Facebook, despite it being suggested by family members - now I realise why!

7. kingleds

kingleds Gold Member

Diet:
    SW all the way
    Its also one of the most virus laden websites out there. Used to work for a large security software company & they banned us using it cis it was a massive security risk.

8. AnnaFaraday

AnnaFaraday ..

That's fine, you clearly knew about it and understood it.

But I had set all my Facebook settings to the utmost privacy some time ago, and when I was told about this today I had another look and found that this particular setting had been changed without my knowledge.

I only use Facebook because it is a good way to keep track of my extended family, especially the younger ones. I have a total of 7 "friends"! And as far as I know there are no photos of me on there, so it probably wouldn't have mattered.

But I want the choice! My settings should be up to me, not changed without telling me.

9. fillymum

fillymum synful soul

Start Weight:
    107kg
    Current Weight:
    85kg
    Goal Weight:
    79kg
    Lost(%):
    22kg(20.56%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World

You are so right.

Personally I would not touch any of the *social networking* sites with a barge pole.

There are enough intrusions into our lives that we have no control over without inviting them.

10. Claireybella

Claireybella Gold Member

Start Weight:
    16st2lb
    Current Weight:
    15st11.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st4.5lb(1.99%)
    Diet:
    SW
    I regularly check my privacy settings on FB, everything is private and for friends only. I also regularly delete people too. I've been on FB for years, and I've honestly never had problems with it, problems with virus' etc.

11. Qua Sae

Qua Sae Full Member

The scary thing is: Your info is probably still on their server!
    You can delete a photo but it will remain on their server for a period of time.. It's worrying.

This is a good read: 6 Things Social Networking Sites Need To Stop Doing

12. Monkey_Monkey_Underpants

Monkey_Monkey_Underpants Well, hello...

Start Weight:
    17st13lb
    Current Weight:
    13st6.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    4st6.5lb(24.9%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World (again)
    They won't have changed it. They can't change it.
    They will have added one that wasn't there before, and then set it to their default.

I have the same issue with them. But these days I go into my security settings at least once a week, and make sure there isn't anything new that I need to make private.

I love Facebook. I think it's a great way to communicate with lots of people, and have a bit of fun.
    But you do have to be careful.
    I make sure my settings are restricted to my choice, but even with doing that, I wouldn't put anything on there that I wouldn't be happy for anybody to see.

Things happen.
    The internet develops.
    People hack things.

We can either become paranoid and try to ignore the whole of the modern world, or we can move with it, but try to limit the potential extent to which we can be damaged if things go wrong.

[For example, I know that people have lost £1000s because they've had their credit cards cloned after internet transactions.
    I use internet banking, and I shop online. It is SOOOO much more convenient than keeping pound notes in a box under the bed, and driving miles to distant shops.
    But I make sure I've got suitable insurance on my cards.]

Using any other internet "service" is the same. You decide how much risk you're prepared to incur.

I'm happy using FB because I mitigate the risk.
    It's a light-hearted social thing, and I wouldn't use it for anything that I wouldn't expect to be seen on that basis!

jaylou likes this.
  13. jaylou

jaylou Gold Member

^^^ what she said!!!

14. Monkey_Monkey_Underpants

Monkey_Monkey_Underpants Well, hello...

Start Weight:
    17st13lb
    Current Weight:
    13st6.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    4st6.5lb(24.9%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World (again)
    (but it was much quicker doing it your way!)

15. *EB*

*EB* Gold Member

I love FB - and will have a check on this tonight - i have quite a thick set of privacy settings on there and as someone else said, this will be a new thing that i may need to change as it has been added.

x

16. GothGoddess

GothGoddess Time to start again!

I am still on Facebook but I have it set to the hilt with privacy because I had a nasty experience with it when my brother and his wife split... She used Facebook as a weapon against us both, horrible, I am now so paranoid about it now, the only people allowed on there I have known for years and I no longer add anyone... It can be a useful tool for the pub, but on a personal level it can be a nightmare...

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using MiniMins

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.