Facebook

For those of you who use Facebook, you might find this of interest. I have just been told that, without any warning, Facebook has activated its "facial recognition" system.

I have to say that I don't quite understand this myself, but the message I received from a friend was as follows:

Facebook has enabled facial recognition technology in the UK and EU without telling people. This allows photos of you posted by other people to have your name suggested as being in that photo, by scanning other photos of you that look similar. To disable this, to go Account, Privacy Settings, Customise settings, Things others share, Suggest photos of me to friends, Edit Settings, Disable.

There are newspaper articles on this which you can find with google.

It's been doing this for a while, when I uploaded my wedding photos it made suggestions for who may be in the photos and it did make tagging quicker. This was a good few months ago. Id imagine it will only suggest people in your friends list but it does seem like another invasion of privacy.

One of the many reason i am not on facebook!!

Nor am I. I unsubscribed myself. I disliked it so much and saw so many problems created by people on facebook.

Even my lovely, shy Paul was stalked lol !!!!

I always had a resistance to going on Facebook, despite it being suggested by family members - now I realise why!

Its also one of the most virus laden websites out there. Used to work for a large security software company & they banned us using it cis it was a massive security risk.

It's been doing this for a while, when I uploaded my wedding photos it made suggestions for who may be in the photos and it did make tagging quicker. This was a good few months ago. Id imagine it will only suggest people in your friends list but it does seem like another invasion of privacy.

That's fine, you clearly knew about it and understood it.

But I had set all my Facebook settings to the utmost privacy some time ago, and when I was told about this today I had another look and found that this particular setting had been changed without my knowledge.

I only use Facebook because it is a good way to keep track of my extended family, especially the younger ones. I have a total of 7 "friends"! And as far as I know there are no photos of me on there, so it probably wouldn't have mattered.

But I want the choice! My settings should be up to me, not changed without telling me.

But I had set all my Facebook settings to the utmost privacy some time ago, and when I was told about this today I had another look and found that this particular setting had been changed without my knowledge.

I only use Facebook because it is a good way to keep track of my extended family, especially the younger ones. I have a total of 7 "friends"! And as far as I know there are no photos of me on there, so it probably wouldn't have mattered.

But I want the choice! My settings should be up to me, not changed without telling me.

You are so right.

Personally I would not touch any of the *social networking* sites with a barge pole.

There are enough intrusions into our lives that we have no control over without inviting them.

They won't have changed it. They can't change it.
They will have added one that wasn't there before, and then set it to their default.

I have the same issue with them. But these days I go into my security settings at least once a week, and make sure there isn't anything new that I need to make private.

I love Facebook. I think it's a great way to communicate with lots of people, and have a bit of fun.
But you do have to be careful.
I make sure my settings are restricted to my choice, but even with doing that, I wouldn't put anything on there that I wouldn't be happy for anybody to see.

Things happen.
The internet develops.
People hack things.

We can either become paranoid and try to ignore the whole of the modern world, or we can move with it, but try to limit the potential extent to which we can be damaged if things go wrong.

[For example, I know that people have lost £1000s because they've had their credit cards cloned after internet transactions.
I use internet banking, and I shop online. It is SOOOO much more convenient than keeping pound notes in a box under the bed, and driving miles to distant shops.
But I make sure I've got suitable insurance on my cards.]

Using any other internet "service" is the same. You decide how much risk you're prepared to incur.

I'm happy using FB because I mitigate the risk.
It's a light-hearted social thing, and I wouldn't use it for anything that I wouldn't expect to be seen on that basis!

I love FB - and will have a check on this tonight - i have quite a thick set of privacy settings on there and as someone else said, this will be a new thing that i may need to change as it has been added.

x

I am still on Facebook but I have it set to the hilt with privacy because I had a nasty experience with it when my brother and his wife split... She used Facebook as a weapon against us both, horrible, I am now so paranoid about it now, the only people allowed on there I have known for years and I no longer add anyone... It can be a useful tool for the pub, but on a personal level it can be a nightmare...

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using MiniMins

Back