Fake-away doner kebab

kaw759

I found the recipe below on this site and made it last night - its fab (an i left out the flour!).

Just not sure of the syn value... some seem to think it is free. I had looked in the SW handbook and it said 28g lamb mince (under 16g fat) was 1/2 syn, so worked it out at 9syns for the whole lot.... any ideas? Only my 4th week so havent quite got my head around it all yet!

Thanks
Karen

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon plain flour
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
500g/1.1 lb lamb mince

Method:
Preheat oven to gas mark 4/180C/350F

In a large bowl, combine the plain flour, dried oregano, dried Italian herbs, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper.

Add the lamb mince and mix thoroughly for 2-3 minutes. Take out all of your aggression on the kebab mixture, punching and kneading until no air pockets remain and the kebab meat is extremely smooth.

Shape the seasoned mince into a loaf and place on a baking tray.

Bake in the middle shelf of the oven for 1 hour 20 minutes, turning the loaf half way through the cooking time to ensure even browning.

Once cooked, remove from the oven and cover with foil. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.

Slice the donor kebab as thinly as possible and serve with pitta, salad and sauces!!!

Red/EE
<16% fat = 0.5 syn per 28g
> 16%fat = 1.5 syns per 28g

Green
<16% fat = 2.5 syn per 28g
> 16%fat = 3.5 syns per 28g

As far as I can gather they don't make extra lean lamb mince (ie under 5% fat), at least I've never seen any, so it's never entirely free.

So (without the flour) on red/EE *IF* you have less than 16% fat mince your whole recipe will be 9 syns yes. If it's over 16% fat it will be 27 syns.

So (without the flour) on red/EE *IF* you have less than 16% fat mince your whole recipe will be 9 syns yes. If it's over 16% fat it will be 27 syns.

Wow - big difference!
The mince I used had 16g/100g, so only just!
Think I might mince my own lamb in future - more expensive I suppose but would make it free, without adding the flour?

I've stopped bothering with lamb mince cos its so fatty, I use pork or beef now.

The Tesco Healthy Living pork and beef are 4.7% and 4.5% fat respectively, so both free. I have been ordering the lamb mince at 15.9% fat (!!!) for ages as it was the only one that came up with a search for "lean mince" - I dont know why the Healthy Living ones aren't listed as lean when they are in fact Extra Lean!! Even the Light Choices frozen stuff is 7.4% so I don't know why it doesn't come up in a "lean mince" search :confused:

As long as you can't see any visible fat on your lamb it's free so mince away! :D

I made it with extra lean beef mince as I couldnt find lean lamb mince anywhere and it tasted fab will deffo be making again hubby loved it said it was better than the kebab house. x

kathryn kat suit said:
Where do you buy onion powder from? Can't find it in usual supermarkets......x

Mine is called Onion Granules , although it is a powder & its from Tesco

HTH

Kx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Attachments

• image-832414210.jpg
    image-832414210.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 2,035
kathryn kat suit said:
Thannkyou :) I'll be getting some,Can't wait to try this recipe.....x

No problem :)
It's soooooo dee-licious - I make it loads!!

Kx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Had this on Friday and left overs on Saturday, not quite takeaway lushness lol, but tastes really good (even hubby tried some and liked it and he hates all SW recipies) will add a bit more spices than recipie next time and need to experiment with a low sin garlic sauce but will def be doing it again....soon. PS I used beef mince cos I dont like lamb.

Back