Family Function

squishymcfatterson

Likes to post frequently
Hi all! I have a family function at my parents' house next weekend. Now, my mum and hubby know I'm doing TFR but nobody else. Unfortunately I have a very nosy and outspoken brother! He will notice if I don't eat anything (because i'm usually a pig!) and there's no way in hell I could have a shake. Usually these functions include cold meats (Parma ham, salami etc), fresh baked rolls, coleslaw etc. and probably a cake. I've done low-carbing (Atkins style) before and so I'm wondering- if I eat protein only, say a few pieces of meat, will I stay in ketosis? Or would I have had to do a full refeed beforehand? I really don't want to refeed so if this was the case, I'll just skip food altogether and avoid my brother as much as possible! Any advice welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hi. I really feel for you as I have something similar tomorrow. I'm no expert but I would think that if you just stick to a couple of slices of cold meat you will be ok. You will have to be very strong as my fear is if I did eat something the flood gates would open and I would be stuffing anything I can get my hands on! My plan tomorrow is to always be helping the kids with their food, etc and then nobody really notices that you haven't actually eaten anything. Best of Luck!

Busy Mum

Thanks BusyMum! I think I'll go with the plan of not eating and I might try to make our little lady's lunch clash with the grown-ups! She's still spoon fed so I can try keep busy with her. Aagh, this is why I've been avoiding social situations! I just want to diet in peace!

Best of luck tomorrow! Dying to know how weigh-in went today?! X

Good plan! I find as long as people see you with food on your plate even though its for your kids or hubby they just assume you've eaten it.

Weigh in went well today, 13lbs loss!! What about you?

Busy Mum

Busy Mum said:
Good plan! I find as long as people see you with food on your plate even though its for your kids or hubby they just assume you've eaten it.

Weigh in went well today, 13lbs loss!! What about you?

Busy Mum

Fantastic! Might as well call that a stone! Well done. I don't weigh in until Mon evening but scales ate looking good!

Squishy, most would say dont do it, I, as I am a rebel lol would say see how it goes, if you really feel the need to have non carb food then have a wee bit, it could slow your weight that week by a lb maybe as long as you have control, I think instead of saying NO we all need to do this our way, a friend of mine is on this also and has lost nearly 5 stone so far, but as she has had a lot on she has chosen to have a non carb meal most weekends, she loses slightly less than I do each week but she happy enough as weight still coming off much faster than on an eating diet and she feels she can face another week, that way she HASNT given up through the "sod it" attitude, which is working for her. I hate saying too much as dont want to get pin pointed for giving bad advice from people that can easily cope with not having anything at these things, and I do think these people are brilliant, I just feel that as long as you are taking that weight off then anything is to be congratulated in the long run, have a good time, see how it goes for you ok xxx

Dizzy1968 said:
Squishy, most would say dont do it, I, as I am a rebel lol would say see how it goes, if you really feel the need to have non carb food then have a wee bit, it could slow your weight that week by a lb maybe as long as you have control, I think instead of saying NO we all need to do this our way, a friend of mine is on this also and has lost nearly 5 stone so far, but as she has had a lot on she has chosen to have a non carb meal most weekends, she loses slightly less than I do each week but she happy enough as weight still coming off much faster than on an eating diet and she feels she can face another week, that way she HASNT given up through the "sod it" attitude, which is working for her. I hate saying too much as dont want to get pin pointed for giving bad advice from people that can easily cope with not having anything at these things, and I do think these people are brilliant, I just feel that as long as you are taking that weight off then anything is to be congratulated in the long run, have a good time, see how it goes for you ok xxx

Thanks a million Bev. That's what I needed to hear! I'm going to go with the mindset of staying 100% but if I feel I really have to eat a little meat so I don't blow my cover, so be it. At least I know it's not going to undo all my hard work (just some of it!) I'm not afraid that once I eat a small but of protein that I'll go completely off the rails, I'm too focused and excited about being slim to do that!

and if you do have a little meat and stay controled and get back on LT the very next day then dont beat yourself up, none of us are angels or saints, with this, like life, we all make a mistake here and there, its how we deal with the aftermath that is important ( I, for one, do not want to be a saint, much too boring for me).
Even if it brings you a no loss week, its one week out of your whole life of slim, I am trying to learn the mind set of "face what you have done NOW and deal with it" so that when I have finished and have my treat nights they dont turn into treat years, and also years of NOT getting on the scales to see the damage, I have spent too long with my head in the sand, its not going back there again, but i also know that i am a very social person, out with friends and hubs etc, so need to find my balance, glad to help, but please dont take anything i say as gospel or i may get ejected from this forum for being said rebel lol xx

Back