Fancy getting so excited about .........

fillymum

synful soul
Being able to buy low fat coleslaw !!!!

Today I was outside Iceland before they opened as I had dropped Paul of to do some work at someones home.............

Whilst I was there a delivery truck arrived and a crowd of folks made short work of emptying it....it was one of those huge . long lorries. It was like Pandora's box, stuff just kept coming out and being rushed into the store.

By the time they opened and I got in they had got a fair bit on the shelves with loads more waiting to go on them.

You can not imagine how thrilled I was to see low fat coleslaw at only 47 calories per 50 grams......I bought 2 of them as I am doing 1000 calorie a day at present and I love,love ,love coleslaw. It felt like a gift from heaven. Of course lunch was a 150 gram baked spud with coleslaw and salad oh scrummy.

My cup overflowed when they started to unload fresh English cauliflowers.........2 of those went in the trolley a well.

I feel like the luckiest person around.............. and so easy to please:D

I've just made a veritable vat of coleslaw, i love homemade!

Can have your recipe please Shirleen. Very pretty please.............

Just 1/4 shredded cabbage, very very thin, 2 grated carrots and a whole bunch of Spring onions finely chopped, mic together and season with salt and a little pepper.
Add one tablespoon of low fat mayo mix and mix and mix again (It never looks enough) leave for10 minutes and mix again (the seasoning will draw moisture from the veg).
It will still be a little dry, mix 1tbsp of natural yogurt OR Fromage Frais with half a tsp mustard powder and half teaspoon of sweetener (this is optional), mix and mix again.
Taste, then leave in the fridge for 1/2 an hour for the veg to soften slightly and release more juices.
Mix before serving.

This makes a huge amount!

Light Mayo is 2 syns per tbsp, so 2 syns for the whole thing, if you felt a bit naughtier use 2 tbsp of the mayo instead, it's easily four portions so 1 syn a go!

If you can stomach the lighter than light mayo it's 1/2 syn per tbsp so you can add more, but I would advise adding the mustard powder and sweetener as it's not nice stuff in my opinion.

The secret is adding alot less mayo than you think and mixing well and resting it!

Also fab with apple, or peaches or a tbsp of Mustard powder to make it super savoury!

Mmm I love coleslaw too especially on a spud! Glad you can get a light version there now Sue :)

I will definitely be making Shirlene's version of coleslaw it looks really excellent. I think I might syn real mayo.

Need to finish my shop bought stuff first. It is GOOD !!!

Yum your homemade mayo sounds great, I may have to have a go :)

Being able to buy low fat coleslaw !!!!

Today I was outside Iceland before they opened as I had dropped Paul of to do some work at someones home.............

Whilst I was there a delivery truck arrived and a crowd of folks made short work of emptying it....it was one of those huge . long lorries. It was like Pandora's box, stuff just kept coming out and being rushed into the store.

By the time they opened and I got in they had got a fair bit on the shelves with loads more waiting to go on them.

You can not imagine how thrilled I was to see low fat coleslaw at only 47 calories per 50 grams......I bought 2 of them as I am doing 1000 calorie a day at present and I love,love ,love coleslaw. It felt like a gift from heaven. Of course lunch was a 150 gram baked spud with coleslaw and salad oh scrummy.

My cup overflowed when they started to unload fresh English cauliflowers.........2 of those went in the trolley a well.

I feel like the luckiest person around.............. and so easy to please:D

I bought some lighter than light mayo (Hellmans) it is only 11kcal per 15g - (approx 1syn per oz) or less than 15 syns for a 400g jar. I need to get one of those magic bullets to blitz onion, carrot & the like - much quicker than chopping.

Not opened it yet. Anyone else used it?

I bought some lighter than light mayo (Hellmans) it is only 11kcal per 15g - (approx 1syn per oz) or less than 15 syns for a 400g jar. I need to get one of those magic bullets to blitz onion, carrot & the like - much quicker than chopping.

Not opened it yet. Anyone else used it?
Yup, I have.We can get that now as well and I think it is o.k...

mumsie xxxxx

I dont like it but add it to egg and potato salad with lots of spring onions and peppers and it's not so bad with strong flavours, also good for adding to rice salad with curry powder!

I dont like it but add it to egg and potato salad with lots of spring onions and peppers and it's not so bad with strong flavours, also good for adding to rice salad with curry powder!

Yeah it is a good vehicle for other flavours. I add things like mint sauce,sweet chili sauce, Chinese 5 spice paste etc for dips and dressings. They all come out at about 1 syn.

I agree with you that on it's own it is not so good but has the texture of a really sinful dressing so makes it o.k. for other things.

Just adding salt and pepper makes a difference especialy as a dip for potato wedges.

hugs.

I'm easy pleased - it is Hellmans and made with free range eggs.

I never eat mayo on its own nowadays. Used to have tonnes of the stuff to dip chips/fries:eek:

Good base for a dip though.

Back