FAO KD

lisalulu

Silver Member
So I kinda feel like I'm probably asking a silly question here, but it is something that been swimming around in my head for a few days while there have been lots of exercise threads on the go. I notice you answer a lot of questions about vigorous cardio exercise KD, and your answers make complete sense to me.

From what I've read independently (not from Cambridge), too much cardio can do more harm than good as far as weightloss, metabolism and lean mass is concerned............ Resistance/toning, that sort of thing is highly recommended when on a VLCD to help preserve lean mass

I understand this, you explain it so well in many threads I've read recently (that I just don't have the patience to find at 7am ;) ) But this made me wonder- what about cardiac muscle? Back before having my beautiful girls, when I was slim and a gym bunny, my trainer told me cardio workouts were the best way to build strong heart muscles. So would you recommend a 'light' cardio workout, maybe swimming, or power walking- something that gets my heart pumping, but where I'm not out of breath- as a way of keeping my heart in good condition??

Hope you can help KD, you seem to make everything seem so much clearer! Sorry if that sounds like a silly question, but there is a history of heart disease in the family, and although I'm still young, I am very conscious of maintaining a healthy heart.

Thanks in advance

Pass :eek:

I do think exercise is good though, and I'm sure if you don't go too crazy, you'll be fine.

Just, going a bit more crazy is probably better when you're further up the plans.

Thank you for the reply! I suppose this is one area of science where nothing can ever fully be proved. There is always contrasting evidence in the news and on the internet, its so hard to know when and if you are doing the right thing sometimes. I'm desperate to lose the weight to make me healthier, but am ever so slightly scared at the same time- you do hear so many scare stories about VLCDs and rapid weight loss. It makes my head spin!!

Thank you for the reply! I suppose this is one area of science where nothing can ever fully be proved. There is always contrasting evidence in the news and on the internet, its so hard to know when and if you are doing the right thing sometimes.

Very true, but a lot you hear on the news etc (especially about exercise) refers to low calorie, rather than a VLCD. Also, they often skim over the details or lump things like VLCDs under the same bracket :rolleyes:

I think dieting research is really quite difficult and very pricey. Easier to study rats and be sure they are eating what they are supposed to be eating :D Lots of dieting research relates to rats as physiologically there are many similarities...eeek!!, but metabolism doesn't work in the same way...blah blah.

Anyway...digressing a little here. I'm a great believer in moderation in all things, especially when there is contrasting opinions.

As a nurse, I think you're on the right lines there with light cardio exercise for the cardiac muscles themselves - however it takes much more than exercise to keep your heart healthy - high fat diets & smoking also impact on the cardiac muscles as both of these can contribute to a condition called artheroscelorosis or 'furring' of the arteries...when the arteries are furry with fatty deposits then the heart muscle has a lot more work to do getting our blood round the body ...

Resistance exercise - as with weights will help to build or 'tone' muscle but the exercise you suggest - swimming & power walking will get the heart beating & on SS I think these are 'light' enough & wouldn't recommend anything more strenuous at this stage - but as ever - listen to your body while exercising - if you feel weak or dizzy - STOP (and drink some water!):D

good luck

debs xx

As a nurse, I think you're on the right lines there with light cardio exercise for the cardiac muscles themselves - however it takes much more than exercise to keep your heart healthy - high fat diets & smoking also impact on the cardiac muscles as both of these can contribute to a condition called artheroscelorosis or 'furring' of the arteries...when the arteries are furry with fatty deposits then the heart muscle has a lot more work to do getting our blood round the body ...

Ohhh I'm good for a few more years at least then- I'm not a smoker and I no longer have a high fat diet ;)

Thank you for your reply Debs. I best go dig my swimming cossie out and get back into some (moderate) exercise

Back