FAO - Lesley: psyllium husk post

Russiandoll

Carpe diem
Hi
Pierce said you were looking for something I posted about PH and the mechanics of 'the bowels'. I've just hunted it out for you and here it is:

Everything you wanted to know about Poo (but were too scared to ask!)
I suffered terribly from constipation in the early days. It got so bad that I had to resort to suppositries and I even considered giving up the diet I was in such discomfort.

Then I tried psyllium husks and I haven't looked back since. So here's the low down on psyllium husks and your innards. (Biology lesson coming up)

Your bowels work by being 'triggered' to contract and expel waste when the contents are bulky enough to press against the walls. All the time that waste sits in your bowels, water is being extracted. Therefore, if there's waste sitting in there for any period of time, it soon becomes dry and hard: this makes it difficult to expel.

On a VLCD, we don't have a lot of waste products as an end product of digestion so it can often be days before there's enough to press against the bowel walls. Cue constipation ....

Laxatives are a solution .... but only as a short term 'fix'. If you use laxatives regularly, then they can interfere with the natural mechanisms of the bowels and make them 'lazy' and reliant on being artificially stimulated.

The best solution is a bulking agent which will enable your bowels to work naturally like they're supposed to. This is where psyllium husks come in. They are 100% natural and contain no calories or carbs so they don't interfere with the diet. The body cannot absorb or digest them. They absorb 20 times their own weight in water which means when you take them and drink plenty of fluid, they bulk up the contents of your bowels and hey presto!!

They are also gentle and so are suitable for people with IBS. You can buy them in powdered husk form (this is how I take them). I add 2 teaspoons to my morning shake and another 3 teaspoons to my evening soup. It thickens them up - in fact the soup is like a broth - I love it!

If that's not something you fancy, then psyllium husks can be bought in capsule form. They are not a cure and should be taken every day as a preventative.

They absolutely transformed my experience on this diet and I haven't had to take a laxative since.

Remember to drink extra water when taking them though.

I buy my PH online (cheapest way to do it) - here's the link to the company 'Healthspan'.

http://www.healthspan.co.uk/shop/product.aspx?Id=C-PH

and if you prefer the idea of capsules, Holland & Barrett sell them -here's the link

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/categories.asp?xs=3D47172200DE4D45914684B5460C6767 &CID=15&Page=4

Hope this helps!!

Littlesquidger said:
Does anyone known if I can use this on lighter life?

I'm on Cambridge and it's been fine, doesn't affect ketosis!!

I use the husk too, and have done for several years now. Fantastic and fits in with any diet. Fibre is really important and this stuff works like a charm!

I've used these before and they worked great then...great reminder to get back on them thanks x

I have had the same experience. Have been on Cambridge before but was dreading going back on it since I got so constipated. My CDC recomended PH and they are fantastic!!

Good morning, all! Great to see this info circulating again. The most important thing to remember is that lots of water is vital if using psyllium husks - otherwise, the original problem will simply be compounded (compacted!).

They are a great addition to Cambridge Porridge sachets.....

Hope this all helps. :)

A friend of mine started CD and found it tough until she read here about psyllium husks. Adding the husk to shakes and soups made the diet 'do-able' (her words!). Not only were the packs more filling and substantial, her digestive health was vastly improved!

I use psyllium husk daily. Yes, do drink lots more water or it will dry out (internally) and cause worse problems!

Anyone know what dose to take daily? The H+B capsules say to take 2 three times daily...seems a lot? Just wondered what total daily mg dose people go for and find works for them?

Thanks xx

Thanks Divster. I'll stick with them and hope they have the desired effect as feeling really uncomfortable now which makes me want to stop the plan so really hoping they work. On another note if people are interested....they were buy one bottle of 200 and get another for a penny yesterday in H+B so got 400 capsules for £10.80 xx

ok, if you are constipated already these are NOT going to help, these are only for if you dont have a problem already and stop problems happening!

If you take these, you are a going to make your problem WORSE! Go get some movicol or similar

When your problem is sorted, then take the husk daily as it says, to stop it happening again xx

Thanks chick, had a clear out with some bisacodyl first then on them now to try and prevent it happening again! xx

Im a little confused (this often happens haha). Ive had problems on and off for years, before I started exante. Its got wrse since starting exante and my doc prescribed me fibergel. Is this ok to take? Im not worried about ketosis as im not in it. Ive als been taking linseed, blending it up in my milkshake, does this all sound ok? Its helped a little but sometimes I do have to resort to eating a little fruit (take it out of my 400 cals a day as im on ws).

Back