Fast Food is linked to depression

Andrea81

Success = Dreams>Excuses
Read Article Here

51% more likely to develop depression if you eat fast food compared to those who eat little or none. Scary.

Last edited:
Sánchez-Villegas A, Toledo E, de Irala J et al. Fast-food and commercial baked goods consumption and the risk of depression. Public Health Nutrition, March 2012, 15: pp 424-432.

Put that in Google, this is the study all the stories are based on. There is also a good analysis of this study on nhs choices. Also easy to find VIA Google.

Very interesting! I wonder about the causality though, does eating fast food make you more likely to be depressed? Does being depressed make you more likely to eat fast food? Perhaps something is causing both. Perhaps being overweight means that you are more likely to both eat fast food and be depressed!!! Thanks A Level in psychology, now i don't know what to think!

I think i will google it!

X

LOL, 'unhappy meal' what a good article! it is so refreshing to read a an article about a scientific study that actually uses and explains the critical thinking of causation and the scientific method!

er...bit off topic!

X

I did research as part of my degree in mental health and I'm always interested in these studies. Common sense says healthy food, healthy body and healthy mind. It's great to see holes picked in research, I tend to be a total cynic anyway but people take so called facts from these 'scientific studies' and run away with them and it can cause all sorts of silly things to happen. Anyhoo! Depression is caused by much more than fast food, of that I'm sure lol

Sánchez-Villegas A, Toledo E, de Irala J et al. Fast-food and commercial baked goods consumption and the risk of depression. Public Health Nutrition, March 2012, 15: pp 424-432.

Put that in Google, this is the study all the stories are based on. There is also a good analysis of this study on nhs choices. Also easy to find VIA Google.

I can't rely on websites unless it's a publication made by trusted org like universities or something.

I'm sure you could get the publication through Athens or any other college/university library. The nhs choices website is a defo a reputable reference source. Iv used it frequently.

Does being depressed make you more likely to eat fast food?

^ From my personal experience, being depressed makes me go for fast food. If anything it made me feel happier short term till I was in the right frame of mind. I went through a break up recently and I was depressed, I couldn't eat for about 1 week. Then when I felt like eating again, I couldn't face going to the supermarket and buying shopping and cooking meals for myself, it made me feel worse. So I was going to the local co-op and buying ready made sandwiches and bags of crisps, going to McDonalds drive through and subway all the time for about 3 weeks. Then I kicked myself in the butt after gaining 3lbs and it made me motivated again. :p

Back