Fat belly

kellyv81

Hi all,
Just a quick question....
I've now lost 1stone 2.5lbs and can sort of see a difference but everywhere apart from my belly!!
I can wear the next size down clothes but can't do them up but on my legs and bum they fit really well!!!
Anyone got this problem or know of a way of helping the jelly belly on its way!
I'm on SS and this is my 5th week.
Thanks x

Kelly what type of body shape are you???

I would think about reshaping your body, with some toning..... sorry sit ups. When you loose weight you just become a smaller version of you however when you do weights and toning you actually change your shape. Just a thought and hope it helps.

Bren
X

All sorts of exercise will help you change your body shape, cardio for improving your fitness and weights to 'sculpt' your body, don't be afraid of weights though! You wont bulk up because women just don't have the capacity to become as muscularly bulky as men but it will also build more lean muscle which will burn calories more efficiantly. If you're a member of a gym ask one of the trainers to work out a programme for you. Good luck!

I had the same problem. I lost 3 stone at the beginning of the year (still haven't put any of it back on btw) and it all came off firstly my bust, secondly my bum and hips and then i saw marginal loses from my waist.
I was told that when burning fat your body takes from the smallest fat stores first (which is why you always notice it in your face first - but don't ask me why, you'd think it'd take the biggest first) You can try toning but you'll only be toning the muscle underneath (which will help but won't solve the problem) so i'm afraid perseverance (is that the way you spell that?) is the only solution. It WILL come off, but it'll take time. Having said that, i find that even when i'm a size 10 I'm not totally in proportion.

I disagree, seeing as you haven't lost a vast amount (Don't get me wrong, I know you will lol) you should start now with an exercise regime. Then as you go on to lose much more your body will be more toned, some people lose weight just through diet and end up with loose skin and wasted away muscles (Some of the weight you'll have lost would have included muscle mass).

Some of the weight you'll have lost would have included muscle mass

Isn't the whole point of Cambridge that you only lose fat (not muscle)when in ketosis? I understand when you just eat very little and DON'T get into ketosis your body burns the muscle as well, but i thought when in ketosis your body doesn't use muscle as an energy source??? (sorry i may have that wrong)

But i do agree with the fact that toning now would be a good idea, my comment about it not solving the problem just meant that toning alone won't get rid of the flab.

I think you're right Rayven. Hopefully KD will read this as she has posted about exercise on other threads.
From what I remember you cannot build muscle on a VLCD.

all i can say is ive been toning up and you should see the muscles in my arms now, i didnt have them before, so you can most def. build muscle on a vlcd.

(im going for a 'Kate from Lost' look rather than Madonna btw!)

I think it's always got to be a two pronged attack to get the body you want, you can't do it with just diet or exercise alone. Not to mention the fact that exercise will make you feel better about yourself, it's prescribed for people with moderate depression now.

Thanks Girls I think I'll start doing sit ups or something like that to try and aid the weight loss!!
All helps I guess, although in this heat I'm really not looking forward to getting hotter!!
Anyway thanks again for your advice!! x x x

if its any consolation, i've found that my belly is usually the last bit to follow suit!
My boobs and wrists (wtf) go first, and then my legs, and then my belly catches up!
I'm now a 12 on top and a 14 bottom....but i know he bottom will catch up soon...there is just a lot more of it!
Actually, thats a point....as a percentage, i would imagine it WILL take longer for the "rounder" (lol) areas to reduce!!
Why did i not think of that before?!?!
xxx

Oh so many things to say. Yes on CD you will build muscle. You have lots of muscle and toning will help to make them stronger first then the size of the muscle grows. Generally fat does go from the fattest areas first.... generally. It is all very personal. I train weights and have done so for about 7 years now. I loose a little from my bust then my tummy then waist, arms and legs (the arms and legs usually are quite slow after the initial loss as they are a big muscle area and for most not alot of fat as you constantly use those muscle groups all day walking and picking things up etc.

If you dont exercise your muscle become less dense and can in a very basic description turn to fat (it doesn't happen exactly like that). CD does only source out fat to burn as fuel when in Ketosis. However with any diet if you dont have strong muscles due to lack of exercise they can become a target.

All in all really if you tone and sculpt your body shape now with light weights your body will have to really go out there and source fat and find it in all areas. Like I said before if you just loose weight without toning along the way you will just become a smaller version of you shape now. Try and encourage your abs to build and it will source fat only from this area to burn as fuel and your tummy will begin to develop some good definition.

Kelly again well done on your loss so far too. You will probably find that the exercise will make you feel better in your core and with your mood.

Bren
X

I am exactly the same. I'm currently trying slendertone to see if it will tone my belly a wee bit!

Good luck Scottishmum!

Bren
XX

Sorry to be so dim, but can someone describe 'sit ups' to me please?
Can I hook my toes under something to help or do I have to do them without? ( I have a dicky back and don't want to pull it.) Also how many should I be aiming for in a session and how many sessions a day?

Many thanks.

You are better to do "crunches" than sit ups, that way you shouldn't injure your back. I can't do sit ups either! Lie flat on the floor and either with your legs straight out, raised or with your kness bent and your feet flat on the floor. Lift your shoulders up off the floor and hold, then back down again, with your arms straight out along either side of your legs.

Right, that doesn't explain very well I'll try and find a link!

No it does - explain it well, thank you so much - crunchies it is for me!! xx
Good luck with the restart and being a CDC!

Thanks!

Lol at "crunchies", if only!!!!

Back