Fat content - mince

Earthmother

Likes to cook
I used ASDA '5%' fat beef mince to make a shepherds pie yesterday, I skimmed the gravy twice over in a gravy separater and out of interest weighed the fat I got off it.
It weighed 100g. The mince weighed 1 kilo to start with, thats 10% in anybodies reckoning, not 5%, and there must have been a bit left on. I think I'll avoid beef mince in future.

Hi Earthmother,
I thought we'd be able to eat lean mince, I got the lean steak mince from tesco, it actually says 10% fat on it tho. I decided just to make it for Ian and Paige and I had a WW meal instead. Im sticking to chicken and white fish - def the safer options!! xx

i still use the mince, we have to learn to eat normall and sticking to the 5% rule is key but now and then you can't help go over and when we get to goal we want to be able to eat normally and this will include, steak mince and pork etc... so therefore if yo cut it out now how will you add it back in later?? just watch how you prepare it and what other bits you add!

turkey mince is really low - i use all minces and as long as you skim had no ill effects!

Back