Fat:protein:carb ratio

Just read on another thread that the Harcombe book reckons there is no good evidence for 3600cals= 1 lbs of weight loss!

HTH

No, there's not really any evidence at all. It's based on a law of thermodynamics that can only really relate to a closed system, such as a machine. We human beings are not machines!

Here's a link to what Zoe says (the rest of her blog is an interesting read too!): 1lb does not equal 3,500 calories | Zoe Harcombe

Yup, there doesn't seem to be a lot of evidence for the 3500 calorie thing. I guess the problem is that all these trackers need to have a daily calorie limit put in them. I'm not sure anyone can measure the 'metabolic advantage' of low-carb since it'll be different for each person.

I guess if you've got time to spare (you're not after quick weight loss) then you could put in your daily calorific needs to maintain weight (BMR x PAL) and see if you actually lose weight on that for a few weeks. If you don't then I guess either look at the carbs you're eating or consider the calories you're taking in.

I tend to concentrate on the fat/protein/carbs on myfitnesspal and not worry so much about the calories (I've been over on some days, under on others)

Hi,
I've just finished reading the Atkins 72 book and it explains it all really well.
Dr atkins says you should never feel hungry, and he gives loads of examples of his patients and what they ate and how much they lost.

I have stayed away from the other books because I didn't want to get confused.

Good luck with your book hunting.

Back