Fat To Fab in 2014

Good for you for sticking with it . It does take time - no doubt but all the plans work - that includes red/ green and EE. When I first did the plan it was always 70 syns for women and 105 for men so if you still aren't losing try cutting down to 70 a week. I find I can't go over that but everyone's different I guess.

Thanks Hazel, another great tip from you! I'll see what happens with Monday's weigh-in, but at this rate I reckon I'll be following your advice on that and cutting back to 70 syns for the week. I think it will be a miracle if I actually lose weight this week. :eek:

H xx

Haha yep any talk of lice always makes me itch :8855: glad you're all sorted now :)

Just about to pop over to my diary and reply to your message on there... See you soon! xxx

:mad:GRRR - still itchy....but no more sign of the little beasties thank goodness.

Currently chillaxing on Friday evening and hubby has just poured me a nice glass of red wine (in my pre-measured syn-counted glass ;)). I've got him well trained, he he.

H xx

Hi Heather - Im here to "pester" oops lol I mean subscribe.

Im a serial weigher too - every morning when I get up, and every night before bed, if I get up during the night I sometimes hop on too lol its a habit thats hard to break unfortunately

Good Luck on your SW journey were all here to support you hun x

Hi Sheila, :welcome2: lovely to see you here!

You are more than welcome to 'pester' me any time - I am finding the support on here is simply amazing and reading the diaries is so motivating and inspiring. You must be so thrilled to be only 4.5 lbs away from target - there'll be one hell of a celebration on here when you announce you've reached your goal! :D

I am still weighing myself every morning (despite my resolve earlier in the week not to), and I'm still 2 lbs heavier than when I started on Monday, so that's a bit of a downer. I used to get on the scales during the day too, but I've managed to stop doing that otherwise I get really gnarly and grumpy when it shows the food/liquid gain for the day's intake. I've got a set of those Tanita scales (bought in the UK about 14 years ago!) - the ones that you can enter your height and build and it will tell you your percentage body fat. Well, I haven't measured the body fat for years because I hated it telling me that I was in the 30-45% body fat range. :eek: If I can get down to the weight I want to be and eat healthily, I'm not going to worry about the finer details!

Hope you have a great day hun,

H xx

Hello :) subbing.
Could you halve your lunch & eat the rest with the family in the evening? In the mornings most days I have fruit, could you have a couple of clementines or a banana. Give your metabolism a kick? :)

Hi Cookie - a big welcome to you :) ..... dang, I can't get one of those nice welcome signs to come up. :confused:

Ideally I'd love to join the family with an evening meal, but I have found over the years that if I eat later in the day I get really uncomfortable bloating/bad indigestion, which is why I cut out that meal years ago. I'm sure you're right about needing to give my metabolism a kick - we've got some lovely fruit in season at the moment and it's cheap as chips, so I think I'll give the fruit breakfast a try. I managed to get a huge bag of peaches today for $4 (about two quid), and I've got nectarines and apples so there's plenty of variety to try. :D

H xx

Hey H, your doing really well on the plan hun :). I hope you have another fab day tomorrow ! How is your lovely crochet coming along ? The weather must be lovely there right now :p .

Kay xx

Hi Hun,

Yes, it's a beautiful time of year here when the nights are cooler and more comfortable for sleeping, but we still get warm sunny days. The autumn colours are just starting to come through on the trees so it's quite stunning. A perfect time for a NZ vacation....... :D

I did some of my crochet yesterday evening, but I'm feeling really tired today so I probably won't touch it again until the weekend. I design crochet and knitting patterns, and the current project is a slouchy hat with a difference which my daughter has her eye on!

Hope you have a lovely day today :)

H xx

Day 5

Well here I am at the end of my 5th day on the plan and I am amazed and proud to be able to say that I have not cheated one single time for the whole 5 days. This is an absolute first for me ..... and I have been 'dieting' on and off since the age of 11.

The difference for me has been the amazing support from you lovely ladies on here - I am blown away by the warmth and kindness from you all. Not only has it helped me with sticking to the plan, it has boosted my happiness and 'feel-good' factor all week, so thank you all. xxx

I have 'crashed' a little today energy-wise which for most of the day took some of the edge off my sparkle, but coming on here this evening and seeing all your encouraging messages has put the sparkle back in my day! :)

For some reason I can only put up the basic smileys at the moment.... where have all the fun fancy ones gone?? :confused:

Food-wise I ate exactly the same as I did on the first 3 days, but I plan to set aside some time this weekend and work out some more exciting menus which I can make for the family too. I had intended to do this before the supermarket dash this morning, but I ran out of time. :eek:

Syns for the week so far = 70 out of 105

I'm going to have an early night tonight to recharge my batteries.....see you all tomorrow.

H xx

Day 6

Not happy at all. Stepped on the scales and since starting the plan I have gained 3 lbs. I am now at my heaviest non-pregnant weight ever. Feeling really really idiotic/ashamed/embarrassed/p---ed off........ you name it. I have absolutely stuck to the plan 100%, but I have been doing the Green plan and to be honest have probably eaten way too much pasta. When they say 'unlimited' I guess I've taken it to the extreme.

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I must be the only person on SW who made a massive gain in the first week. I was feeling so positive and now I feel at rock bottom.

Not sure what I'm going to do now......

H xx :wave_cry:

Day 6

Not happy at all. Stepped on the scales and since starting the plan I have gained 3 lbs. I am now at my heaviest non-pregnant weight ever. Feeling really really idiotic/ashamed/embarrassed/p---ed off........ you name it. I have absolutely stuck to the plan 100%, but I have been doing the Green plan and to be honest have probably eaten way too much pasta. When they say 'unlimited' I guess I've taken it to the extreme.

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I must be the only person on SW who made a massive gain in the first week. I was feeling so positive and now I feel at rock bottom.

Not sure what I'm going to do now......

H xx :wave_cry:

Awww H, hugs :bighug:don't be so hard on yourself, your new to the plan so your still finding your way. Its not necessary that the first week has to be a loss, mine was very small and there was another girl in group that lost loads. Our bodies all work differently. It could be next week you have a huge loss and someone else doesn't so it all balances out in the end. But yes your right, at first there is a lot of info to take in and it will take a week or two before you find your own rhythm with the plan and what works for you. I have always done green days because I love my carbs :p. It's true they say you can have unlimited free food but it also says to make sure you are taking enough superfree with it. So if your gonna have a plate of pasta there should be lots of veg on your plate also.

I went into group this week and another girl and myself had both done green but she sts and I lost and she said the same as you that she ate lots of pasta, then I told her I have ate lots of rice this week, but I have been taking lots of salads and veggies with it, I never have rice or pasta on their own, she told me she wasn't doing that because she thought its free so she could pile it on. So as long as you have your superfree with it, its fine.

I made these mistakes too in the beginning so don't worry. Green is a fab plan. If you ever have any questions about anything or are unsure, feel free to ask me anytime, I am always here to help :). You will do super on this plan, I know you will. Just draw a line and start over. I hope you feel better soon hun, don't be down, you've done nothing wrong, look forward to next week and watch the pounds drop off. Drink lots of water everyday and start adding loads of veggies and salads to all your meals :p . Take care hun .

Hugs Kay xx

Last edited:
Hi Heather - you still have a good couple of days to go before WI. Don't give up keep going the results will come.

I have never done Greeen/Original days I only ever do EE, your talking to the Queen of unexpected gains and yoyoing lol even to the point where I broke down in group because I had gained 2lb with no damn reason. Its swings and roundabouts, but I totally agree with Kay, make sure you have your superfree too, they say its not as important on red and green, but I reckon it still works.

I also think planning ahead for meals works a treat. I try and work on at least 2-3 days ahead for evening meals at least then I dont end up picking because i cant decide what to have. I eat quite a lot of rice not so much pasta, I would also say use your healthy extras too, the plan is built to incorporate them so by not having them your not doing yourself any favours.

Keep at it hun it will pay off - have a fab weekend xx

Hey H. I crochet too. You should check out my blog Quietly Stitching xx

I love your blog Hazel - you've made some beautiful things. Your willow blanket looks stunning the way you've laid it out. Have you finished it yet? Did you decide to go random with it or finish it in the way that you set it out in the photo?

I've made a number of blankets in 'granny stripes' which are perfect for using up the oddments of yarn which accumulate over time! I see you've also set up an Etsy shop. That's on my list of 'things to do' as well.:) It would be a dream come true to earn money doing something that I love!

H xx

Awww H, hugs :bighug:don't be so hard on yourself, your new to the plan so your still finding your way. Its not necessary that the first week has to be a loss, mine was very small and there was another girl in group that lost loads. Our bodies all work differently. It could be next week you have a huge loss and someone else doesn't so it all balances out in the end. But yes your right, at first there is a lot of info to take in and it will take a week or two before you find your own rhythm with the plan and what works for you. I have always done green days because I love my carbs :p. It's true they say you can have unlimited free food but it also says to make sure you are taking enough superfree with it. So if your gonna have a plate of pasta there should be lots of veg on your plate also.

I went into group this week and another girl and myself had both done green but she sts and I lost and she said the same as you that she ate lots of pasta, then I told her I have ate lots of rice this week, but I have been taking lots of salads and veggies with it, I never have rice or pasta on their own, she told me she wasn't doing that because she thought its free so she could pile it on. So as long as you have your superfree with it, its fine.

I made these mistakes too in the beginning so don't worry. Green is a fab plan. If you ever have any questions about anything or are unsure, feel free to ask me anytime, I am always here to help :). You will do super on this plan, I know you will. Just draw a line and start over. I hope you feel better soon hun, don't be down, you've done nothing wrong, look forward to next week and watch the pounds drop off. Drink lots of water everyday and start adding loads of veggies and salads to all your meals :p . Take care hun .

Hugs Kay xx

Kay, you are a real sweetie for saying this - I really needed the support today. It's early afternoon here on Saturday and all I've eaten today is a couple of small peaches because I'm so angry with myself. However now that I've read your message I feel quite a lot better about things and am not going to throw in the towel. I'm sure you're spot on with saying that I really need to be adding superfree to my meals; I've basically gone silly this week with the pasta - I think I was going through a rebellious phase after being so restrictive on my eating before starting the SW plan. I've got that out of my system now and will pile up the veggies instead! ;)

I also read on your diary about adding kale to your meals; I think that would help me a lot too because....well.... there's a nasty blockage going on:eek::eek:. Obviously that will account for some of the scale excess too :)giggle: forgive me if that's just a little bit TMI !!).

Have a wonderful day out on Saturday hun - you deserve it.

H xx

Hi Heather - you still have a good couple of days to go before WI. Don't give up keep going the results will come.

I have never done Greeen/Original days I only ever do EE, your talking to the Queen of unexpected gains and yoyoing lol even to the point where I broke down in group because I had gained 2lb with no damn reason. Its swings and roundabouts, but I totally agree with Kay, make sure you have your superfree too, they say its not as important on red and green, but I reckon it still works.

I also think planning ahead for meals works a treat. I try and work on at least 2-3 days ahead for evening meals at least then I dont end up picking because i cant decide what to have. I eat quite a lot of rice not so much pasta, I would also say use your healthy extras too, the plan is built to incorporate them so by not having them your not doing yourself any favours.

Keep at it hun it will pay off - have a fab weekend xx

Hi Sheila,

That's exactly what I needed to hear - that you've gone through unexpected gains - and yet there you are almost at target. Until I checked on here I'd been feeling really down and angry with myself and basically felt like having a damn good cry about it. However, thanks to yours and Kay's messages I'm going to pick myself up and keep going, and definitely add loads of superfree to my meals. I will also add the HexB's because I haven't used any of them this week. :eek:

Have an awesome weekend hun,

H xx

Hi Sheila,

That's exactly what I needed to hear - that you've gone through unexpected gains - and yet there you are almost at target. Until I checked on here I'd been feeling really down and angry with myself and basically felt like having a damn good cry about it. However, thanks to yours and Kay's messages I'm going to pick myself up and keep going, and definitely add loads of superfree to my meals. I will also add the HexB's because I haven't used any of them this week. :eek:

Have an awesome weekend hun,

H xx

We have all been there hunni - never give up. The good weeks outweigh the bad ones. Your hex's are calcium and fibre - please make sure you use them ( no calcium weak bones - no fibre no regular toilet habits). SW is a healthy eating plan dont think of it as a "diet" as this automatically means restrictions to me and on SW there really arent any.

Rule of thumb eat until comfortable not stuffed, if your belt is too tight and you have to loosen off another notch or undo the button on your trousers you have eaten too much lol.

You can do this hun stick at it the results will come xx

I don't personally believe it is because you have eaten too much pasta or that you haven't eaten enough superfree. I think that if you were on a restricted diet to start with then your metabolism will just be very low and it will take your body time to adjust. The last thing you need to do is restrict what you eat. If you're hungry then eat. I do green all the time and pile it on - the food I mean. The month of January I did a lot of fasting and my metabolism was very slow so when I started the plan (again) I didn't lose anything in the first week. I would say, just stick to plan - make sure you don't go over your syns - and wait. Patience is the key. xxx

Last edited:
We have all been there hunni - never give up. The good weeks outweigh the bad ones. Your hex's are calcium and fibre - please make sure you use them ( no calcium weak bones - no fibre no regular toilet habits). SW is a healthy eating plan dont think of it as a "diet" as this automatically means restrictions to me and on SW there really arent any.

Rule of thumb eat until comfortable not stuffed, if your belt is too tight and you have to loosen off another notch or undo the button on your trousers you have eaten too much lol.

You can do this hun stick at it the results will come xx

Very wise words there hun. I'm thinking of printing off your message and putting it up somewhere prominent as a good reminder! :) I'm feeling a lot calmer today....yesterday I felt stupidly panicked about the weight gain, but thanks to everyone on here I've been able to calm down and think long term rather than short term. :thankyou:

H xx

Your most welcome hunni - I love to help when/if I can. My journey hasn't been an easy one and if I can help ppl along the way then all is good.

I love my food too much to restrict myself lol - my portions are still big the only difference now is they are healthy foods not processed rubbish. xx

I don't personally believe it is because you have eaten too much pasta or that you haven't eaten enough superfree. I think that if you were on a restricted diet to start with then your metabolism will just be very low and it will take your body time to adjust. The last thing you need to do is restrict what you eat. If you're hungry then eat. I do green all the time and pile it on - the food I mean. The month of January I did a lot of fasting and my metabolism was very slow so when I started the plan (again) I didn't lose anything in the first week. I would say, just stick to plan - make sure you don't go over your syns - and wait. Patience is the key. xxx

Thank you for those words Hazel, it certainly helps me to hear that I'm not the only one who has experienced this. The last thing I want to do is go into the 'starve before weigh-in' cycle, which traps you into that crazy pattern every week. I'm going to feel pretty p...d off to show a gain at tomorrow's weigh-in, but I'm going to stay on plan and eat what I need to feel full and then chalk it down to a learning experience/metabolism hiccup and start afresh tomorrow.

Thanks hun for helping me put things in perspective. :)

H xx

Day 7

Another day being totally 100% on the plan - this is a 'world record' for me to achieve 7 days in a row. I'm 99.999% sure I'm still going to show a gain tomorrow morning at my 'official' weigh in, but I'm feeling OK about it now because I will put this week down to a test week, and apply what I've learnt from now on.

I've eaten plenty of super-free today; being Sunday I decided to do a roast lunch for the family; roast chicken, roast kumara (sweet potato) cooked SW style, cauliflower, runner beans (from the garden) and peas. Very tasty and filling!

An early night is in order for me.......I've just tried to answer the phone with the TV remote. Talk about a brain fart, or maybe it's CRAFTs disease? (Can't Remember A F...g Thing)?!! :D

H xx

Day 7

Another day being totally 100% on the plan - this is a 'world record' for me to achieve 7 days in a row. I'm 99.999% sure I'm still going to show a gain tomorrow morning at my 'official' weigh in, but I'm feeling OK about it now because I will put this week down to a test week, and apply what I've learnt from now on.

I've eaten plenty of super-free today; being Sunday I decided to do a roast lunch for the family; roast chicken, roast kumara (sweet potato) cooked SW style, cauliflower, runner beans (from the garden) and peas. Very tasty and filling!

An early night is in order for me.......I've just tried to answer the phone with the TV remote. Talk about a brain fart, or maybe it's CRAFTs disease? (Can't Remember A F...g Thing)?!! :D

H xx

Lol this made me giggle Heather - I hope you had a good sleep hunni. Whats the time difference there?

I had a lush lie in today got up about 11.15 so a late brekkie for me. Today Im making a Chicken Korma with Aldi's greek coconut and vanilla yogurt also some SW quiches I think. These will do for lunches at work for a few days with salady stuff.

Im also going to do a butternut squash, carrot and chilli soup too. Thats if I ever get off my butt lol x

Back