Fat vs Muscle

Shirleen

Gold Member
This came up from Kettleworx on FB so I thought I'd share it!

‎"That is a misconception that muscle weighs more than fat. One pound of muscle weighs the same as one pound of fat. Muscle is more dense than fat. This explains why two people of the same weight, but with different body compositions do not look the same. This should also make those that are not seeing movements in the scale feel better. Your muscles become sculpted and more dense with more weight bearing exercise and your clothes fit looser, but you may not see any movements on the scale yet. Remember, more exercise builds more muscle which ignites your metabolism. Also remember that the more muscle your body has, the better your metabolism burns throughout the day when you are not exercising." Tanya K. Bannwarth

You would have to do some serious weights/exercise for that to happen though, not just gentle walking?

Also when you start doing exercise, your joints hold onto water to protect them against damage, this is why when you start, you can gain weight, but its only water.

You would have to do some serious weights/exercise for that to happen though, not just gentle walking?

Well it all depends how much you move now, if you live a sedentary life then walking will be quite hard work, plus the more you weigh the more calories are burned.
However you do need to increase your exercise/activity by 10% So if day one you only manage 10 minutes walking, then make it 11 minutes the next. after you can walk say 30 minutes try to walk faster/further in the same time, it's surprising how quickly you are able to do more.
If you can only manage 10 reps with a dumbell, then try to do 1 more rep each time, when you can do 12 easily and can push to 15 then it's time to increase the weight.

Super post, thank you.

This came up from Kettleworx on FB so I thought I'd share it!

‎"That is a misconception that muscle weighs more than fat. One pound of muscle weighs the same as one pound of fat. Muscle is more dense than fat. This explains why two people of the same weight, but with different body compositions do not look the same. This should also make those that are not seeing movements in the scale feel better. Your muscles become sculpted and more dense with more weight bearing exercise and your clothes fit looser, but you may not see any movements on the scale yet. Remember, more exercise builds more muscle which ignites your metabolism. Also remember that the more muscle your body has, the better your metabolism burns throughout the day when you are not exercising." Tanya K. Bannwarth

explained very well here x

Haha I like the way Ermintrude described it too. Obviously a pound of muscle does not weigh more than a pound of fat - I don't think anyone actually believes otherwise?! :confused:

You would just get a huge blob of fat for your lb whereas you'd only get a scrap of muscle by comparison for the same weight.

It's not a myth at all; when I say "muscle weighs more than fat" I mean it in the same way as if I said "lead pellets weigh more than polystyrene beans" i.e. a cup of lead pellets will weigh a hell of a lot more than a cup of polystyrene beans; in the same way a cup of muscle will weigh more than a cup of fat. Just because we don't always add the implied proviso of "by volume" every time doesn't make it any less true.

Last edited:
Another misconception is that if you stop exercising, your muscle will turn to fat!!!

People really believe this? :eek::confused::rolleyes::sigh:

You sound surprised!!!:confused:
Seriously. You've never heard people say that???:confused:

Nope... yeah I am surprised - it's a bit of a mad thing to say to be fair! Like saying your hair will turn into cotton, or your eyeballs will turn into glue!

So glad i read this, i started exercising 3 wks ago and my losses have been slow since.

I was about to give up, i do hope things start to level out in the next couple of wks.

Kicking myself now for not taking measurments in Jan when i started S/W.

Thanks for posting the info Shirleen :)

My losses a slow but i think i'm turning to muscle. I've lost over an inch on my waist but have only lost 10 pounds. And I can get in a size 14 just about and a lot of people i've spoke too that are around my height and weight are still in an 18 or so. Guess I much be "heavier built" so to speak.

Its also worth noting that some people are actually big boned! And some people are heavy boned. I know, for example that I would look properly skinny, and a bit ill, at even the middle of the healthy BMI for my height. But my friend is at the lowest end and the same height as me. She looks absolutely fine at a size 8/10, but when she was pregnant and got 'fat' - she was still 2.5 stone lighter than I am now. I reckon my bones in my wrists are bigger than her actuall wrists :)

My losses a slow but i think i'm turning to muscle. I've lost over an inch on my waist but have only lost 10 pounds. And I can get in a size 14 just about and a lot of people i've spoke too that are around my height and weight are still in an 18 or so. Guess I much be "heavier built" so to speak.

No-one I told could believe I was 14 1/2 stone when I started sw - I obviously either carry it well or I'm big/heavy boned so I know where you're coming from!

I also have lost inches and the weight is coming off very slowly. TBH I would rather be able to fit into a size 12 than strive to be at the bottom of my 'healthy range' or a set weight.

Well I've lost weight and am lighter than I have been for ages. However because of my duff knee and not doing as much exercise I have gone UP half a size!

Interesting posts. I love the fact that muscle burns more calories. This means with good muscle tone you can be burning more calories whilst sitting on your sofa.

Based on this, I've started to use the gym more and use weights as part of my exercise plan.

Could someone explain the word "dense" in terms of relating to muscle? I'm forever reading about the muscle v fat debate & this is probably the best explanation I've read, just struggling to get my head around "dense". I looked it up but the definitions didn't apply.

Back