Fat %

slimforlive

Hi all,

Has anyone got those scales that measure Fat % as well as weight? i've got them, and although I've lost over a stone, my % has hardly moved (if at all) ... does this mean I'm not burning fat? v. confused.

xxx:confused:

ooooh how does it work that out? Bet mines about 70% fat lmao

It sends minute electric thingys (yes, that's the technical term) through your body (you don't feel anything). it's quite amazing really.

Feeling pretty crappy today, so wanted to see if my fat % had gone down, and it hasn't. Just a bit fed up of doing this at the mo...

Sorry can't answer the question but I have scales that do that but sadly I have been too frightened of the result to give it a try!!

Gx

But you've lost 16.5lbs so you KNOW you've lost weight hun and theres no way you were carrying that much water lol it might be a bit like bmi i mean mines only come down 2 points after 25lbs!

Where'd u get them from they sound fun, perhaps you should only do it once a month or sommat to se the difference.....are u measuring yourself? You'd be surprised how many inches you'll have lost!!!! I started measuring on 17/8 and i've lost over 25inches!!!!

How do threy really work though? Now I am curious. I would love some scales like that...............

Or maybe NOT. Imagine that. I wonder if they measure your BMI?

Body fat scales use a technique called Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis (BIA) where a small and completely harmless electrical current is passed through your body (you feel absolutely nothing at all). The electrical current passes more quickly through fat free tissue like muscle than it does through fat or bone tissue. As we all know, water is a very good conductor of electricity, and since muscle is 70% water and fat contains little water, the body fat scale is able to make a distinction. This means that the amount of resistance to the electrical current from your body relates to how much fat-free mass you have and therefore to your body density.

Like all body fat tests, body fat scales don't actually measure your body fat percentage. They determine your body density. The scales (or the Doctor etc in other methods) then use a formula to calculate body fat percentage based on body density.

The consistency of the measurements from any formula is a bit questionable. Changes in water retention (which we all know can be a real s*d on this diet!!), food intake, skin temperatures and minor posture changes among other things can affect the readings given by these devices. Any variable when readings are taken can give you with some perplexing numbers - just as you are finding S4L.

However, even though these scales are not as reliable as skinfold measurements methods (at the gym for example), they are better than not getting a number at all.

For best results, try to keep all factors as close to identical each time you jump on your body fat scales (temperature, posture, time of day, water intake etc.). For example, when I used to use them, I did not drink water for about two hours before ..... to minimise the unnecessary water onboard.

Ahhh - that sounds much better than my 'electric thingys'! LOL

Thanks Steve. Think I'll just stay off them for a while and do it again in a month (same time of day etc)

And thanks Nina - yeah, I guess it can't all be water. Just need a kick up the bum I think
xx
x

I think my scales do that % thingy, just don`t know how to work them. lol ;)

Back