FATLESS SPONGE

susieb33

I found this recipe and thought it looked good.

for 6 people! 16.5 syns total!! approx 2.5 syns each portion (if anyone can work it out better please let me know)

Fatless Sponge :gimi:

3 oz flour = 87gr (5 syns)
1/2 tsp Baking Powder... (1syn = 1tsp)
3 eggs
3 oz caster sugar = (87gr) (5.5 syns)
2 tbsp. jam (reduced sugar would be better) 1.5

Method:
Preheat the oven to gas 4 180C
Spray two 7" sandwich tins with cooking spray and line with greasproof
1.place the egg yolks and sugar in a large, grease-free bowl and whisk (electric) until the mixture is pale, fluffy and thickened - about 5 minutes

2. Wash and dry the whisk and use it to beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry

3. Using a large metal spoon fold the egg whites into the yolk/sugar mixture alternately with the sifted flour and baking powder, starting and finishing with the egg whites.

3. Spoon an equal quantity of the mix into the prepared tins and bake in the centre of the oven for 20 - 25 mins. The cakes are cooked when they feel firm, springy and have begun to shrink away from the tin sides a little

4. Leave to cool in the tins for 3 minutes then have ready a sheet of greaseproof paper sprinkled with a little caster sugar. Turn the cakes out before transferring them to a wire rack. Sandwich together when cool with jam and dust the top with icing sugar.

NB. These need to be eaten fresh. They don't keep

I think your syns might be wrong hun

Flour is 4-4.5 syns per 25g depending on whether it is plain or self-raising so you talking about 13-14 syns for that alone
And the sugar is 5 syns per 25g so that would be another 15-16 syns
Reduced fat jam is half a syn per tsp so 2 tbsp would be 3 syns

So its a total of 34 syns for the cake not 16 :(

But there is a recipe on thread for either a synless or 0.5 Syns fat less sponge

thank you.. I did work it out from the book but thought it might be a bit out. I will have a look on the other thread

I think your syns might be wrong hun

Flour is 4-4.5 syns per 25g depending on whether it is plain or self-raising so you talking about 13-14 syns for that alone
And the sugar is 5 syns per 25g so that would be another 15-16 syns
Reduced fat jam is half a syn per tsp so 2 tbsp would be 3 syns

So its a total of 34 syns for the cake not 16 :(

Back