Fed up of Dukan is Atkins the Answer

flutter-by-us

Silver Member
Hi I need some help / advice please.

Have been on the Dukan diet for a month (or so) and am fed up!
Despite being 100% committed for the whole time (ie no major slip ups followed diet to the letter) I have lost weight say about a stone and now have put over half that back on again (not as a result of breaking the diet or anything). Fed up to put it mildly.
My clothes do fit better etc but that's probably more to do with the swimming / dvd workouts than anything and I definitely expected to be doing better as I do have several pounds to lose :eek:.

Any thoughts on whether Atkins might be a better option as I am only mildly in ketosis with Dukan?

Thanks in advance
x

hey hon x Atkins induction does put you in ketosis pretty much straight away but you will probably lose more water than anything in those 1st two weeks. then you go onto the next step and increase your carbs anyway.
Wonder why you have put 1/2 stone back on? are you having more Pv days than PP?
Atkins is pretty much the same as Dukan but doesnt have to be low fat.
I must say I do prefer the atkins food (hence me now doing my own mixture of the 2 diets) but I didnt lose as well on it but others like Cheryl did.
hope this helps a little??

hey hon x Atkins induction does put you in ketosis pretty much straight away but you will probably lose more water than anything in those 1st two weeks. then you go onto the next step and increase your carbs anyway.
Wonder why you have put 1/2 stone back on? are you having more Pv days than PP?
Atkins is pretty much the same as Dukan but doesnt have to be low fat.
I must say I do prefer the atkins food (hence me now doing my own mixture of the 2 diets) but I didnt lose as well on it but others like Cheryl did.
hope this helps a little??

Hey Vicky thanks you've done fantastically - well done.
Nope I alternate PP and PV days and haven't deviated from that. I've no idea why I'm almost back to where I started and HONEST I'm not cheating but yes Atkins does "sound" better as you can have nicer things and I think I was more in ketosis with Atkins when I did it years ago I'm only + with Dukan.
I have no idea re the weight gain but it's getting me down :cry:as sticking to this diet so well and eating so much better (and less) than I have over past 7 months.
x

Are you enjoying the low fat food hon?

Are you enjoying the low fat food hon?

Low fat AND low carb is pretty tough going but I've been doing ok adapting recipes and meals not sure high fat is easier but does taste better! Just done a power walk with the wee one and I did some thinking and do wonder if I'm just eating too many carbs (even though sticking to diet) ie on a typical day -
Oatbran = 30g
Wheatbran = 15g
FF WW yoghurt = 8g
Say some other FF fromage frais or yoghurt = 10g approx
you're already over the "limit" of recommended low carb eating!

I have read your diaries (and others) on the Dukan pages and don't seem to be eating out of the ordinary .... x

DO IT!!! atkins is actually (once you break through the tough bit!!) really good despite the bad press! Im still in induction (2nd week now) and its fine - im enjoying it! :) and getting results!

I was fully intending to do Dukan but once I tried it I was quite put off.
I'm also doing my own version of Atkins....sticking to the 20g of carbs a day but trying not to eat too much fat so no cream and only a small amount of cheese.
After doing a vlcd I didn't have any water to lose but had a nice pink stick for the first time this morning so hoping to see some good losses now.

Also, I reD in my Atkins book last night that you should only have a max of 5oz of meat at your 3 meals a day. Seems weird considering pp days in dukan. Also, like you said, there is quite alot of carbs in dukan?

Give Atkins a try for 2 weeks and see how you get on....you can always swap back if not happy!

Thanks guys think I've made my mind up - day off tomorrow then start on Atkins on Saturday have read the stickies and bought the latest book so that my reading material tomorrow and give Atkins a try.
Great to hear you all love it and are doing well on it too.
Look forward to speaking to you all and sharing our success (fingers x'd).
x

Welcome! You won't regret it!!

I've never tried DUKAN so I can't really say, but Atkins worked/works for me.

Back