• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

Feed a cold and starve a fever. True or not ??

fillymum

synful soul
S: 107kg C: 85kg G: 79kg BMI: 33.2 Loss: 22kg(20.56%)
I have a had a horrid cold and sore throat this week. It is still with me.

We have all heard the saying "feed a cold and starve a fever ". I have never really thought about it but all this week I have wanted to eat and eat and eat, all the wrong things.

I wonder does ones body tell us what to do.

Does anyone else get this reaction with a cold or am I going through a piggy week.

Get Rid of this ad and join in on the conversation for free today! Tap here!

Medusa

I've also heard "feed a cold TO starve a fever" but either way that doesn't help you does it? :D

I think if you are poorly then all bets are off to a certain extent. If your body is demanding scrambled egg or chicken soup then go for it.

hexe

S: 12st2.5lb C: 11st0.5lb G: 10st10lb BMI: 25.1 Loss: 1st2lb(9.38%)
I've also heard "feed a cold TO starve a fever" but either way that doesn't help you does it? :D

I think if you are poorly then all bets are off to a certain extent. If your body is demanding scrambled egg or chicken soup then go for it.
Chicken soup is fab food when you caught a cold. Lots of fresh fruit and veg (vitamins) and most importantly, keep well hydrated.
Not sure about this "feed a cold and starve a fever" thing, probably on the same line as my nana's recommendation to drink warmed up beer when suffering a cold. Yuk! LOL

Hi, you post reminded me of something i read the other day, so iv done a bit of copy and pasting...

"The old saying 'Feed a cold, starve a fever' does work, although I wouldn't let that encourage you to stuff yourself lest you end up with an accumulation of more than just a mound of paper tissues.
Even so, it's crucial to nourish your body when you've been hit with a cold if you're to recover quickly and then stay well, so give yourself permission to slow down, to rest and to eat - in other words, listen to your body." ( Feeding a cold | Mail Online )

So keep on eating... lol.

fillymum

synful soul
Hi, you post reminded me of something i read the other day, so iv done a bit of copy and pasting...

"The old saying 'Feed a cold, starve a fever' does work, although I wouldn't let that encourage you to stuff yourself lest you end up with an accumulation of more than just a mound of paper tissues.
Even so, it's crucial to nourish your body when you've been hit with a cold if you're to recover quickly and then stay well, so give yourself permission to slow down, to rest and to eat - in other words, listen to your body." ( Feeding a cold | Mail Online )

So keep on eating... lol.
Thanks Lorna, you have just made me feel so much better about what I have been eating.

I am normally pretty disciplined but this just felt like, must have,must eat.

Your welcome, when it comes to things like this your health should always come 1st. And if eating is helping your body recover, then so be it. I really hope your feeling better soon. I think your a lovely lady always helping people on here, just returning the favour. x

Maximus

Gold Member
S: 17st7lb C: 10st10lb G: 10st5lb BMI: 24.2 Loss: 6st11lb(38.78%)
Hi Mumsy

Plenty of liquids, and loads of fruit and veg for the vitamins. No need to go off plan tubs;):p

Trudy

S: 13st0lb C: 9st6lb G: 8st6lb BMI: 23.4 Loss: 3st8lb(27.47%)
i,ve always feed a cold and starve a fever and its works for me...just be careful what you feed it with ;)

fillymum

synful soul
Hi Mumsy

Plenty of liquids, and loads of fruit and veg for the vitamins. No need to go off plan tubs;):p
Cheeky child !!!! Where have you been hiding,not that I noticed you weren't around!!!!!

i,ve always feed a cold and starve a fever and its works for me...just be careful what you feed it with ;)
Unfortunately it seems to have involved to much pastry and to many stews with dumplings and far to many slices of raspberry cheesecake.
But tomorrow is another day and I feel so much better today.