Feel like crashing ww & sw boards!!

Rissole76

Not that I would, but, do u ever feel like crashing the Ww and SW boards and screaming "it can be so much easier, we've discovered the secret to losing weight!". Silly I know but I have done both diets and lost some weight on them, but both just over complicate the equation really! I mean that if you calorie count you pick an item, you find the calories and you log it. Ww, you find a food, then you search for the points, then you log it, and some foods may be worth say 1 pt, but if you have 2, it doubles and becomes 3 points??!! And you can eat free fruit and veg ( but within reason?!). We take the food at face value and log it, done! Then I looked at Sw forums, and all the hea's, heb's, syns, trying to secretly make 'free' recipes, like pizza made with a cauliflower base, just do it can be classed as free! Now we can have a pizza expess pizza for quite low calories or make our own using wraps etc, just common sense, and no trying to cheat the system so you can eat! I can honestly say I have never been more satisfied food wise than I have CCing, and sometimes you just want to shout from the roof tops that you've discovered the secret and it doesn't need to be difficult, you dont need to pay for it, it's on the packets of food we eat, and alot of it is just common sense, commitment, and a bit of hard work.. Sorry that's my rant for the day!!

Lol I get that way with the diet clubs too. I think it's fairly safe to assume that if your being charged money by a business for your plan an products then it's really not in that businesses best interests for you to lose quickly, efficiently, and for the weight to STAY off. Because then you wont BE paying anymore lol I'm always rather suspicious of anyone trying to make money off me!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Different plans suit different people for me counting cals is the only thing that has ever really worked. I'm not really a happy-clappy group type person and I do object to handing over money to someone who probably knows less about nutrition than me lol.
If I went to a class I'd probably end up arguing with the CM.

Once again, I could have written that post! lol
I have to admit, SW taught me to eat regularly and healthily, and found my appetite that had been AWOL for two decades. Then when my losses slowed to a standstill, I joined a class, hoping that the paid, trained consultant could shed some light on where I MUST have been going wrong. She was totally unable to find the key to my loss/no loss, and I did feel I probably knew the plan just as well, if not better - I'd certainly been doing it longer, and I believe, lost more weight on SW than she had :-/ What I did gain from class was a great bunch of mates, and a sense of belonging. Can't knock it.
BUT. I've lost more since discovering CCing than I did in the previous 10 months or so on SW!

I'm going to agree with Starlight, there are probably a lot of people on other diets who feel the same. It's about finding what works for you and calorie counting doesn't work for everyone. It's pretty simple, work out your calories and stick to it and then you'll lose weight but actually some people don't get on with the complete freedom that you have with it. Same as some people don't get on with pro points and syns. Or a VCLD. I know people who have lost a LOT of weight using the Cambridge Diet, Weight Watchers and Slimming World and they've all done amazingly and kept it off. A couple of those tried calorie counting and it just didn't work for them. I think it's just about finding whatever works for you and it's great that you've found calorie counting works well for you.

A lot of people need the carrot and/or stick of a slimming group. I did until of late but now I think about the money I would spend, just to be no more or less successful than I am now. It's not the knowing how to do it, it's the discipline of actually doing it that counts.

Last edited:
Having had a really bad eating disorder for 20 years plus I am loving SW. It encourages me to eat plenty of good healthy food and I havent binged on chocolate for about 2 months now. I feel great - in control and so much better. If I CC I know I would use all the calories up on crap and skip meals to compensate.

So for me personally SW has been my saviour. No more lies, no more hiding chocolate around the house and even my car. No more hiding wrappers in the bin. Its like being set free and I am so much happier and spend so much less on food!

My mum did WW for a while, I was talking to her about it recently. She said it was dull. There was such a queue to get weighed that she never bothered to wait for the talk at the end, and eventually figured out she was paying to step on some scales which she could do at home for free!

She also said that it made her undereat in the two days before the meet, to make sure she had lost, which isn't very healthy.

Swings and roundabouts- works for some, not others.

I have to say though that SW confuses the hell out of me. Syns and all that. It does seem unbelievably complicated (I also don't like the "syn"-type language- that sounds like it's making food a bad thing). WW is simple enough, but then I can't see what the difference is between counting points and counting calories, really.

I am more conflicted about all the VLCDs, actually. I am attracted by the fast loss, but I think I'd find it impossible to stick to 100%, and I worry that it's unhealthy and unsustainable. Mostly I'm shocked by people who are comparatively small doing them- if you've got, say, 4 stone or less to lose, do you really need to take such drastic action (medical conditions aside)?

Not that I'd ever tell anyone they're wrong, or shouldn't do it. I kind of admire their commitment! I might try one myself if I hit a plateau, but I just don't think I could maintain that for longer than a few weeks.

Well I should have shares in both SW and WW!! Hence the reason I'm now doing cc with the support of you ladies and mfp :)

I do agree that different diets work for different people but all I know is what ever I lost at clubs, I'd put it plus more on when I left.....

So cc is working for me . If SW or WW works for you that's great!

I think the first post in the thread is really biased. To be honest if you 'crashed' the WW or SW boards with that kind of post people would just laugh at you. For you calorie counting is super easy but that's not to say it would be for everyone.

I follow slimming world but recently (out of interest) have started using myfitnesspal to log my daily calories. Without even trying to limit my calories and just by following SW, i'm hitting my daily calorie goals. I'm sure people following WW and other similar diets would find the same.

Also have you considered that whilst calorie counting is easy if you have a smart phone or a computer, it might be a bit of a pain for someone who doesn't and has to do everything by hand?

At the end of the day different diets work for different people, that's why there are so many different forums on minimins - if there was just one 'ultimate' diet that worked better than the rest, everyone would be following it!

Clareel said:
I think the first post in the thread is really biased. To be honest if you 'crashed' the WW or SW boards with that kind of post people would just laugh at you. For you calorie counting is super easy but that's not to say it would be for everyone.

I follow slimming world but recently (out of interest) have started using myfitnesspal to log my daily calories. Without even trying to limit my calories and just by following SW, i'm hitting my daily calorie goals. I'm sure people following WW and other similar diets would find the same.

Also have you considered that whilst calorie counting is easy if you have a smart phone or a computer, it might be a bit of a pain for someone who doesn't and has to do everything by hand?

At the end of the day different diets work for different people, that's why there are so many different forums on minimins - if there was just one 'ultimate' diet that worked better than the rest, everyone would be following it!

Ditto. I also do SW and log my food consumption on myfitnesspal. Still follow the hea's HEB's free foods and syn rules but out of interest to see if I was over consuming...which I am not so that works for me as a maintainer.

Everybody's metabolism is different as well which should also be taken into consideration. If you are carb sensitive for example doing a red day on SW means that you are in control of your carb intake and can only consume a certain amount as a HEB daily. Personally I find SW not a diet but a healthy lifestyle choice, I am having a broad variety of foods from different food groups which I think work.

If I did cc'n alone I would probably save most of it all on junk food :)

Clareel said:

The first post (mine), was said tongue in cheek! Sheesh some people have no sense of humour! If u read the post properly, you would see that I said I have done both diets before, and lost some weight on both, but love that I have found calorie counting as it simplifies things for me, is working for me, and I will continue this journey for ME! I was implying that I wanted to shout from the rooftops that I have found something that works for me! Each to his own and whatever works for every individual is the best thing that works for them personally. I was simply sharing my excitement ( here on the CCing boards not the SW or Ww boards) as I felt there were similar minded people that were also enjoying their journey with CCing, and would get a giggle that someone else was wanting to sing from the rooftops about finally beating the fat! Ruddy Nora lighten up, life's too short!!!

The first post (mine), was said tongue in cheek! Sheesh some people have no sense of humour! If u read the post properly, you would see that I said I have done both diets before, and lost some weight on both, but love that I have found calorie counting as it simplifies things for me, is working for me, and I will continue this journey for ME! I was implying that I wanted to shout from the rooftops that I have found something that works for me! Each to his own and whatever works for every individual is the best thing that works for them personally. I was simply sharing my excitement ( here on the CCing boards not the SW or Ww boards) as I felt there were similar minded people that were also enjoying their journey with CCing, and would get a giggle that someone else was wanting to sing from the rooftops about finally beating the fat! Ruddy Nora lighten up, life's too short!!!

I did read the post properly... I was just replying to it. I didn't mean any harm by it so there's no need to get worked up.

Play nicely children !!!! :D

just noticed this as i was scrolling through.

i do weightwatchers and i'm enjoying doing it, have tried all the rest and prefer WW.

glad you've found something that works for you, sadly i don't have that discipline and need a class to force me to do it.
i felt the same about the cost but then thought i'd probably spend more than that on sweets and chocolate in a week.

i think the great thing about this site is whichever diet you try and follow, there is loads of help from like minded people to help you achieve your goals.

good luck with you're calorie counting :)

Thanks Rosie! That's all I was trying to say, was that I have found something that works for me finally and it has simplified things for me, as you say, we are all on the same journey trying to lose the flab and get healthy, and this site offers fab support for all of us. Good luck to you too c

Back