Feel silly that this is such an issue!!

Legomom

Gold Member
:( just feeling like such a failure right now. It's ridiculous! I've done well and made a great start to my plan but I'm horribly ashamed of just how hard it is! I'm having to really look at and accept that my relationship with food is just not healthy :(

I miss bingeing. I miss feeling full. And I miss all my old comforts of carbs and snacking etc

I'm such a saddo!!!

Try slimming world - you can have carbs and you don't get hungry - there is no counting which makes it simple

Lol i'm CC at the mo and it does work for me I'm just resisting it I think! I'm having carbs with two meals a day just controlling what they are and the portion so in theory I should be ok! Think it's just cravings after being off the plot for a while!!

Legomon,

You're a brave woman for admiting something that most of us actually feel. Emotional eating it's called "emotional" for a reason. However now you're eating what your body needs and eventually you'll adapt to this new way.

You aren't a failure, you're a brave woman who is fighting the urges to binge;)

hugs

xx

Legomum, I SO relate to what you have said. I went through a phase of 'mourning' food. I lost all interest in eating and the pleasure of food. I actually miss those binging occasions sometimes which is a weird thing to say. I miss having a takeaway with a friend and sharing a bottle of wine and a box of chocolates. I can't justify that kind of lifestyle anymore and I know it doesn't really make me happy - but I do sort of miss it sometimes. I love healthy food but I can't say I no longer miss a massive portion of cheesy nachos at the cinema! I can't really ever justify having it again and that makes me sad. Not sad enough to actually have it but I definitely went through a mourning period for my old lifestyle! Ignorance was sometimes bliss ;)

Legomom said:
:( just feeling like such a failure right now. It's ridiculous! I've done well and made a great start to my plan but I'm horribly ashamed of just how hard it is! I'm having to really look at and accept that my relationship with food is just not healthy :(

I miss bingeing. I miss feeling full. And I miss all my old comforts of carbs and snacking etc

I'm such a saddo!!!

I can totally relate to this, I just love food, even when im not hungry i can still be found with my head in the biccie tin or troffing on a piece of homemade cake that the bosses mum has made. I freely admit i have zilch willpower and doubt I'll ever stick to a diet and actually manage to lose this excess weight!!

Clanger72 said:
I can totally relate to this, I just love food, even when im not hungry i can still be found with my head in the biccie tin or troffing on a piece of homemade cake that the bosses mum has made. I freely admit i have zilch willpower and doubt I'll ever stick to a diet and actually manage to lose this excess weight!!

Ah don't feel like that! I think it's something that eventually clicks and your away!! I've fallen off restarted fallen off restarted about a million times but this time I think it's here to stay! I hope so! Lost a lot last yr but just couldn't get back yo it after Xmas! I think sooooo many of us use food as a crutch almost? It's not surprising it's hard to stop!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I honestly feel that you have to have your head 'in the right place' before you can diet successfully. I find a lot of positive planning and prep beforehand helps me get through the beginning phase which is usually quite hard. Setting realistic goals, having something nice that will fit you when you get there, remembering how good it felt when you were slim etc.

However I know when it is a good time for me to try and shed pounds and that is when my head and heart are really in it. Other times I just go for damage limitation. I am sure you will get the pounds off again. I find the real problem is keeping them off!
SilverS

My head is soooooo not in the right place today! I'm at my absolute max on the stress front and really really really want a dirty great bar of galaxy and a giant portion of kebab meat and chips. With full fat mayo.

Because obviously overdosing on sat fats and sugar will cure all my problems........

My head is soooooo not in the right place today! I'm at my absolute max on the stress front and really really really want a dirty great bar of galaxy and a giant portion of kebab meat and chips. With full fat mayo.

Because obviously overdosing on sat fats and sugar will cure all my problems........

Hi Legomom, you sound like you need a great big hug! (((((())))))

Hope you have managed to get through the day, and if you have tripped just dust yourself back off and get back up :)

I hope that getting out in the sunshine today has made you feel better. Like Morrigan said there is almost a mourning process that you go through for your old reliable comfort eating favourites. Also your new lifestyle will at times lose its appeal, often my facebook status will say "ok I've been eating salad for 13 months, now can I be a size 10?!?!?!". I also go through times where for what ever reason I am really hungry, I suspect it is to do with our bodies crying out that so few cals is not enough. On those days do the exercise and have a good feed on an old favourite, you can go over your cals once in a blue moon, the world will not end I promise. As long as you get right back on plan the next day then you will still be on the right path. I too love the feeling of being full and every now and again I allow myself to experience the feeling. It makes me happy and stops me throwing in the towel.

Don't beat yourself up, none of us can help how we feel sometimes, just make sure you can come up with a solution that soothes how you are feeling and means you can pick yourself up and carry on with your journey to a slimmer you. x

Legomom said:
Lol i'm CC at the mo and it does work for me I'm just resisting it I think! I'm having carbs with two meals a day just controlling what they are and the portion so in theory I should be ok! Think it's just cravings after being off the plot for a while!!

My binging was purely habit I think. I travel round the country with my work and find myself revisiting towns thinking, "lovely pasties there, great cakes in that shop" etc.... It's hard not giving in to it, but every day you don't, is a day you don't. Lol! It really is hard though.

I sympathise with all of the above !

I tend to be really good and stick to the healthy eating until usually a week or two in where I get the overwhelming feeling that I need carbs and end up binging

*sigh* I'll get there in the end!

I completely understand this emotion.. the longing to just eat and not think about the consequences. To enjoy to the point of complete fullness. I miss that too.

We're all a bit sad aren't we? It shouldn't be so hard. I will say though, that I've found it so much easier this time, mostly because of this and the minimins forum. I think that the logging in every day is really helpful to me.

It's interesting to hear I am not the only one who associates places with food. I have to admit whenever I plan to go anywhere my first thought is of the good take-aways or restaurants etc that are there. When I go home to Plymouth for example I think of the nice pasties that I can't get here, a visit to Taunton shopping means KFC as there isn't one near me, and so on. I swear every supermarket chain has specific foods that I have to buy there, oh it's just endless!

I'm glad you posted this thread. I have put off dieting for two years, because I was afraid of being hungry. This sounds silly, but food is such a comfort. It stops me feeling stressed at work (for as long as I am chewing), it's a reward for completing a repetitive task. I use food for so much more than nutrition.

I had some great diet advice recently: the first three weeks are the worst, if you can keep going through those, it gets easier. I agree.

I have also read a helpful book about emotional eating, which made me look at myself and my emotional eating more clearly. I would recommend Women, Food and God by Roth Green.

It's interesting to hear I am not the only one who associates places with food. I have to admit whenever I plan to go anywhere my first thought is of the good take-aways or restaurants etc that are there. When I go home to Plymouth for example I think of the nice pasties that I can't get here, a visit to Taunton shopping means KFC as there isn't one near me, and so on. I swear every supermarket chain has specific foods that I have to buy there, oh it's just endless!

I can so relate to this! Even worse, I associate MEMORIES with food. I can remember certain times and events because I can remember exactly what we ate. I never realised how much food was linked to ALL of my emotions - not just the sad ones but the happy, relaxed and excited ones too. I link food to memories the same way people link music.

Back