Feeling frustrated

LadyT

Tough But Sexy X
Hey lovelies, those of you who have read my diary know that I have had some issues with high potassium in my blood and forced into moving from LLT to Lite! :( Its making me miserable, I just want to get to my goal and feel Lite is slowing me down. I know many of you will advise me that its a good learning curve to introduce food back into my life, but all I see is the long term effects on my weightloss. The issue with the potassium does scare me a little if I am honest but desperately want to reach my goal and get onto RTM. My doctor will not allow me to go back onto total as he is not a dietician and cannot say if it is safe in my circumstances.

The thought going through my mind at the moment is that I could still continue with Lite, but maybe as an option purchase some type of bar or shake maybe Exante to have as my 4th pack per day, alternatively I could stretch my 3 packs per day and just not have the meal.

I know this will seem drastic to many of you, but weight has been a massive issue for me for such a long time now that I just feel that I could potential lose faith in this and come off the plan altogether.

I just need some advice, ultimately I know its my decision but hearing some words of wisdom will really help me at the moment. xx

Hey lovelies, those of you who have read my diary know that I have had some issues with high potassium in my blood and forced into moving from LLT to Lite! :( Its making me miserable, I just want to get to my goal and feel Lite is slowing me down. I know many of you will advise me that its a good learning curve to introduce food back into my life, but all I see is the long term effects on my weightloss. The issue with the potassium does scare me a little if I am honest but desperately want to reach my goal and get onto RTM. My doctor will not allow me to go back onto total as he is not a dietician and cannot say if it is safe in my circumstances.

The thought going through my mind at the moment is that I could still continue with Lite, but maybe as an option purchase some type of bar or shake maybe Exante to have as my 4th pack per day, alternatively I could stretch my 3 packs per day and just not have the meal.

I know this will seem drastic to many of you, but weight has been a massive issue for me for such a long time now that I just feel that I could potential lose faith in this and come off the plan altogether.

I just need some advice, ultimately I know its my decision but hearing some words of wisdom will really help me at the moment. xx

I know exactly how you are feeling - I have to do Lite for medical reasons too.

Please listen to your Doctor - he is medically trained and we are not!!

***In praise of Lite***

I have done both Total and Lite, and did RTM last year too.

I would say that although the losses are slower, you lose the weight as you are gaining a knowledge of what foods you can eat and still lose weight and stay in ketosis. Losing weight, it has been said many times on here is the easy part. Keeping it off and not having to do this all over again is the challenge. Plenty of returners tell us this.

By doing Lite you are learning about food in a way that you can't on total. As you have told us yourself you are now cooking, and enjoying the recipes in the book. Thoses skills will keep you trim after RTM.

If you switch to Exante you won't have support, group work or medical supervision. Which for you at the moment is potentially dangerous. The plans don' tmix and match, I looked into it a while ago.

Some supermarkets do bars, but the carbs in some of these is very high and you wont necessarily be getting the missing nutrients in them.

LL is 4 packs per day approx 550-600cals in total. 25% of your nutrients. Exante is 3 packs a day for similar calories. 33% of the RDA of nutrients. The Exante packs have higher calories and nutrients which is why you only have 3 per day.

I know it is frustrating as you are used to bigger losses, but your health in the long and short term are too important to jeopardise.

I also think the act of eating bars from another plan or supermarket will be stressful for you. Each time you do it you will worry about the health risks, which will in turn make matters worse.

The allowed foods list on Lite has been very carefully researched, to keep you in ketosis and give you your extra 25% of nutrients.

Dropping to 3 LL packs only is also a problem - as you will only have 75% of your nutrients and your body will go into starvation mode on so few calories.

Please look at the bigger picture LadyT, you have done SO well already!! You are SO close to goal, be patient it will happen. :)

You will be able to finish in a postition of being able to stay healthy and maintain your new weight.

I know this advice is probably not what you want to hear - but it is from the heart and from my own experience too.

Kisses xx

Hey hunny, thanks for the post! I am just feeling fed up, I think not having control of my own destiny is really playing on my mind. I should be able to make my own decision, I am so annoyed at the fact I have this stupid issue with my blood. I just feel 'why me?'

I wouldnt go onto full Exante I was contemplating just adding 1 exante pack/bar to my exisiting LL packs taking me back to full abstinence.

I popped over to the Exante forum and found a thread on bars, many of the exante users are using Biggest Loser or Tesco bars instead of the exante bars s apparently they taste like MDF. Their losses seem to still be good even doing this, although what surprised me was the number of lapses people have which was encouraging for me as it proves the counselling aspect is certainly working for many of us.

I totally get your comment about the doctor knowing best and adding food now is good practice for the future, but I cant help but notice there is no activity in the LLL threads doesnt fill me with hope for this part of the diet. I think you are the only person on here at the moment doing it other than me! It just doesnt fill me with the confidence I can make it work for me. I know this is crooked thinking because if i choose to think that way then I know deep down i will fail, but cant change my thinking at the moment grrrrrrrrr!!

I know you are just looking out for me and if I am honest wasnt expecting any other types of comments so was expecting it. lol

Thanks hun xxxx

Perhaps the other Lite folk are too busy peeling veg!!

Tried a biggest loser bar when I went to the cinema, and I was out of LL ones!! Gave me an upset tummy. :yuk::yuk:

Some great weekly Lite losses when I was in a Lite group, just found the topics of conversation were around food way too much. xx

LOL, how long have you been on Lite and whats been your average losses on it. Mine have been 1lb per week, not good! Compared to 3.5lb on total, its such a big drop and not even feeling worth it for a bit of meat and veg/salad...arghhhhh decisions, decisions! xx

I have a wonky thyroid, amongst other things, which means low losses. So even on total I was only losing 2-3lbs a week and sometimes STS.

On lite it was 1lb a week when I was doing it properly. I now do 2 lite meals & 2 packs as I'm below my original target and want energy for exercise.

You are of course also in that difficult last stone stage of the diet.

I would like to lose a few more pounds so my BMI is 24. Something but I'm not stressing about it. It will happen.

My favourite LLC quote is "if you were 16 stone but a size ten would it matter?"

So, my question for you is: - If you had dreamed at the start you would be a comfortable size 12 would you have still done it?

The other question is if one of us had posted the same dilemma on here what would your advice be?? xx

I too have an issue with my Thyroid, not on medication for it though.

You ask some very good questions!!

My dream at the start was to be exactly that, a comfortable size 12, which is what I feel I am almost at now. The extra 12lb I need to lose will make me more comfortable lol.

I would probably say listen to the doctors advice, the losses will still happen albeit slower and in the grand scheme of the weightloss you have already acheived will it really matter.

Thanks I really appreciate your thoughts and support on this and I know what I must do.....and thats as I am told by the doctor lol xx

Hunnnny!!! xxxxx

Seems I got here after all the great advice was given, so can't really add much other than agree with the girlies... xx

You are still losing, it's only been a couple of weeks, so recent losses, if low, do not dictate future losses whilst on Lite... hey, don't forget that even on LLT, some weeks were cr4p! Then it would catch up and there be a nice big loss... Also, even if it was 1lb a week, it adds up you know... my losses have slowed up no end, but I have no other choices... got to stick to it and just hope my body does me right! ;)

And you gotta do the same... :)

Everything you put in your post above when you answered the various questions, is spot on... In the grand scheme of things, as long as your weight is going down, you'll get there. I know it's frustrating as you are so near... but it will happen... and you're doing the right thing by your health too...

Don't worry hunny, you'll get those 12lbs off soon enough... I'm impatient too for mine, but we're doing it! It's happening... right now! So we just gotta stay positive and appreciate how far we've come...

You look so great now, the 12lbs you're after is just a token bit of extra poundage... smile at how amazing everyone thinks you look already, coz it's true, you do!

It's just hard for us to see the bigger picture sometimes, but the end is in sight!... Just hang in there...

:D xxxxxxx

Aw Pinks thanx hun!!

Both yours and Hannah's advice is sound, just think I am feeling a bit miserable at the moment about all sorts, it WILL get better but only I can make that happen!

I am going to one of the scottish offices Wed/Thurs and will be seeing people I havent seen for a long time, I know the compliments will flow that always cheers me up no end.

Its strange I almost feel even more deprived now even though I can eat certain foods. I think most of it is in my head, I need to refocus and I will acheive my goal as you will I am sure.

Thanx again gorgeous xxxxxxxx

It can become all very insular and closed up in our heads... and we can get obsessed... which is what I'm doing at the moment I think...

The bigger picture is where the sanity is at I reckon! ;) So we gotta seek it out, or we'll go mad... lol...

It becomes all about the needle going down 1lb from yesterday... or the little bulge we still have over the top of a certain pair of trousers... but these are teeny things which we obsess over! Look at where the needle was when we started... for me, it was RIIIIGGGHHHTT round the other side of the scales! And the trousers, well, I'd not got one arm in them a few months ago!! Lol... You know?! :D

The depravity feeling is a weird one, but equally, there are certain foods you still are avoiding I guess, and when needing a quick pick-me-up these were probably the exact foods you'd have... hmm? I know that's the case with me... But we have to remind ourselves, we are not deprived. We are doing this by choice. We can stop at any time if we like. But we choose not to. We are the ones unhappy with our weight, we are the ones who put ourselves on a plan to lose the weight, and we are fully responsible for getting as far as we have.

We have cut out food, which was our crutch, our addiction, our reliable friend... but also started to be our enemy... so all these emotions are flying around, but it's not the foods fault... we were responsible for mistreating ourselves with it, and now we are responsible for sorting it out... which is worth remembering when we start to think about the challenges of maintaining... after all, this control we're using now is still us. It's not like we've been locked in a room and given 4 packs a day through a hole in the wall! We have made the decision to not have anything but them, and in your case now, the 3 and the meal... so just stick at it. You're so strong... even though I know it's hard!

I don't know what I'm trying to say here, it's just a stream of consciousness, sorry! Lol... I'm currently battling with wanting to eat an extra pack as am habitually hungry at this precise moment! Coz I am working, and I used to snack when I worked in the evening, and it's driving me mad! I've just had a really strong coffee to try and get rid of the hunger, but it's still there!! AAAAGGHHHH!!! LOL!!

Anyway, typing here is keeping me busy for now, so that's helps! ;)

Yup, too much coffee!! Sorry... anyway, stay focused on the goal and wait for the fab compliments you're bound to get when you're in Scotland!! As you say, that always helps! :D

xx

Aw Pinks you always make me feel better with your common sense, practical talking, thank you so much!

I know all of what you say is right and I totally agree with everything you have said, I think I am a habitual eater too and struggle at this time of night, but at the sme time cant eat in the evening because I cant sleep, very surreal dreams going n when I do!

Anyway I am going to retire to my bedroom, or as my friends says the east wing of my house (always makes me giggle, she thinks I live in a mansion, I wish lol) to read my Beck Diet book that I purchased today.

Dont work to late and thanks again hun xx

Hi Lady T
i know you are concerned about the health/potassium issue and not knowing or waiting for someone to give you information and guidance is always horrid.
Maybe your thyroid is having an impact on your potassium levels?
I have an under active thyroid am on medication for it (levothyroxine). I was lucky it didn't cause me a problem while I was in abstinence.
I was amazed when I found out all the things the thyroid has an impact on - our whole metabolism really - so there may be a link.
However, I really think you are feeling out of sorts and disgruntled and considering things like adding in a bit of Exante stuff - not because you think it will work better than LL or LLT, but because of emotional triggers.
You have been through so much recently, emotional highs and lows to do with your personal life as well as your weight, ex, family,friends, work, animals and probably other things you haven't mentioned. I also think you feel a bit let down by your daughter and her recent behaviour.
Don't forget the reason most of us developed a flawed relationship with food was as a reaction to our emotions.
We can't just un-learn years and years of behaviour patterns.
Try and recognise what you have achieved so far and allow yourself to be proud of it.
Also, as you get nearer to goal the losses slow down anyway, because you have less to lose.
So be kind to yourself, stand tall, look fab and acknowledge the strong gorgeous woman that you are.
By the way - great support on here from Hannah and Pinkie xxx

keep going miss t! i am on week 14 of total and still have 2st to lose. its not necessary as my bmi is now around 27...so 1 stone of that is purely vanity. I made a point of saying at 16 weeks regardless of weight I would move to lite so I could lose the last bit slower and that would make sure when it comes off - its definitely not coming back. This freaks me out a bit as I also want it off NOW...but think long term...its 12 lbs...thats it. You've done and are going to do so well. With food incorporated its slower, but then its harder to put it back on too! xxx

SB thanks, its good to have someone elses perspective on it and much of what you say makes sense to me. I have had a lot of emotional highs and lows and sometimes wish that my life was more consistently stable.

I am doing another week of Lite, so no more moaning, whinging or looking for alternatives, I dont have much to go and will get there for sure.

Hey CP, thanks for your input really appreciate it. Just noticed we are the same weight lol I hope you have had a failry straightforward journey so far with LL, i found Lite difficult to gt my head round, crooked thinking. xx

I'm at 11.4 and want to be at 9 and Its gone ok so far, the last few weeks i have started picking at things. but i always feel rediculously guilty as its not good. thats when i decided 4 months is enough lets get onto lite then we can crack the last bit on that regardless of how long it takes. this is definitely the best thing i have chosen to do and so glad i did it, its also great to know from someone else what lite is about and whats it like, as i am petrified of it all coming back on, even though it wont. silly really! Am trying to do as much homework as I can before i move to lite as I still have some chocolate related demons, however rather than trying to banish them i'll just deal with them and factor in a bit of chocolate with the bars once a week only, as I wont be having a chocolate bar every day in the "real world".

How did you find the eating, did you feel really full? Although I've picked I've not had a meal, so intregued to find out how you feel eating each day. xxx

Hi Hun, I have really struggled eating food is becoming an obsession because it is limited! As for the amount it's just too much protein the allowance is huge and I can't always manage the amount! Funny really as most overweight people are like that through pure greed, so too much food is a very unfamiliar territory.

I bought the lite cookbook as salad and veg with protein is pants lol it's worth the money and gives great variety in the meals.

Lite is definately more challenging than total.

Good luck on lite xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hey LadyT :)
I hope you're remembering to put your health first - the food is more of a psychological issue... Your internal workings really need a lot of love, we're not machines which can be oiled, cleaned and have new working parts! We do need to take care of what we have.
You WILL lose the weight - after all, people on calorie counting plans also get to goal, granted it takes them longer. We all need to be patient. :) There are no magical ways of just cutting off our excess in one swoop! I wish!! :rolleyes:

As for the LL Lite portions - you're right, the protein portion IS too big. I have about half (or less) of what they recommend in the book and quite limited vegetables. I worked out their portions calorifically and it can be as high as 1000, in comparison to the Total's 480 per day or so? It depends of course which protein you're having. Don't think you need to eat the whole lot, it is way too much food for one person! I stick to about 700 calories or less myself, but, I do weigh things and count them...

Don't give into frustration though - it only makes things worse! I know you can be strong through this one. :) You're doing really, really well. I admire your determination for sure! xxx

Thanks Min appreciate your comments!! They all make total sense to me, not considered the bit about the internal aspect and I guess replacing parts is not something any of us want to go through. Defo food for thought! Thanks hun xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I found the protein portion on Lite too big as well. There's something odd about it, because when you start RTM and cutting down on packs the book tells you to have the same total daily amount of protein, but spread between your meals!

Back