Feeling really low

Smoffi

Hi all, I'm :cry:here, and have been almost all night...

When I started SW the first time around 12 months ago, i never did the plan more than about 75% but lost over a stone in 5 weeks.. then stopped going and went off track over christmas, put most of it back on, came back in Feb, and again about 80% on plan, for about 3 weeks lost minimum of 3lb a week.. slipped again, stopped going to group.

Well around 6 weeks ago after a scare with my health - gall stones, and needing an op, which I was told (like I didn't know) by the surgeon was risky at my size (over 22 stone at that point). He told me I should try to lose as much weight as I could during the waiting time - about 8 weeks (still haven't heard a date btw). There was talk about me having obesity surgery at the same time, but that was decided against, but he advised me I would need it eventually.

I went back to my group, and since then I have been on plan 100% I've not cheated once, and although I've hovvered around 10 syns a day, even they have been healthy chocies - ie made up of extra hexa & hexb choices mostly.

I've also been excercising almost every day, I was swimming everyday, but the cold (it was an outdoor pool) has put pay to that, but I've bought Zumba for the kinect and been doing that every day..

However my weight losses since 're-dedicating' myself have been no more than 1lb a week! I was convinced I could lose 2 stone before the op if it was 8 weeks away, but so far I've struggled to even get my half stone.

It makes no sense! I've done my best to stay positive, to see it as 'any loss is a good loss' 'better off than on' all the usual platitudes, but the last 12 hours I've run out of positiveness.

I made the decision the first time I went to my group after the hospital that I'm NOT having obesity surgery, after finding out some of the things they don't tell you.

I'm off to church this morning, and will put on 'the face' again, when people tell me how well I'm doing (a lot of people there follow me on facebook and my blog and see all the effort I'm putting in, and they're very good) I'll say the usual,"I wish it was going faster, but I'll get there" But inside I'll be in floods of tears - I just hope they don't penetrate the facade, because if they do I will totally lose it!

Sorry to vent.. have told hubby how I feel and he's very good, he's doing the plan too, but he's nowhere near as overweight as I am, and I don't think really gets the way I feel.

On a positive not.. I've not had a gall stone attack since I re-started, so hopefully I can at least delay the operation!

*hugs & blessings*
Smoffi

Hi, sorry to hear you feeling low today. Have you measured yourself? sometimes the exercise takes time to impact on your weightlose, but you are still losing inches.

You are taking control by sticking to the plan and making decisions about the surgery and you have noticed an improvement in your health as a result.

Today is a difficult day, but tomorrow does not have to be and you have done so well, so don't let today undermine all that you have achieved.

Wishing you well for tomorrow x

I know this might seem counter-intuitive, but if you were losing well before, why not do what you did before? You may just be eating too little for you. Just a thought. If you try that for a week or two and it doesn't work though maybe you have to readjust your definition of success. Any loss is a success. You may want more, who doesn't, but 1 lb down is a loss and even on extreme diets some don't lose more than that. I know the lighter you are the safer the operation will be, but you can only lose at the rate your body will let you so you should give yourself a pat on the back for what you have already achieved. Take care, you will get there.

Smoffi said:
Hi all, I'm :cry:here, and have been almost all night...

When I started SW the first time around 12 months ago, i never did the plan more than about 75% but lost over a stone in 5 weeks.. then stopped going and went off track over christmas, put most of it back on, came back in Feb, and again about 80% on plan, for about 3 weeks lost minimum of 3lb a week.. slipped again, stopped going to group.

Well around 6 weeks ago after a scare with my health - gall stones, and needing an op, which I was told (like I didn't know) by the surgeon was risky at my size (over 22 stone at that point). He told me I should try to lose as much weight as I could during the waiting time - about 8 weeks (still haven't heard a date btw). There was talk about me having obesity surgery at the same time, but that was decided against, but he advised me I would need it eventually.

I went back to my group, and since then I have been on plan 100% I've not cheated once, and although I've hovvered around 10 syns a day, even they have been healthy chocies - ie made up of extra hexa & hexb choices mostly.

I've also been excercising almost every day, I was swimming everyday, but the cold (it was an outdoor pool) has put pay to that, but I've bought Zumba for the kinect and been doing that every day..

However my weight losses since 're-dedicating' myself have been no more than 1lb a week! I was convinced I could lose 2 stone before the op if it was 8 weeks away, but so far I've struggled to even get my half stone.

It makes no sense! I've done my best to stay positive, to see it as 'any loss is a good loss' 'better off than on' all the usual platitudes, but the last 12 hours I've run out of positiveness.

I made the decision the first time I went to my group after the hospital that I'm NOT having obesity surgery, after finding out some of the things they don't tell you.

I'm off to church this morning, and will put on 'the face' again, when people tell me how well I'm doing (a lot of people there follow me on facebook and my blog and see all the effort I'm putting in, and they're very good) I'll say the usual,"I wish it was going faster, but I'll get there" But inside I'll be in floods of tears - I just hope they don't penetrate the facade, because if they do I will totally lose it!

Sorry to vent.. have told hubby how I feel and he's very good, he's doing the plan too, but he's nowhere near as overweight as I am, and I don't think really gets the way I feel.

On a positive not.. I've not had a gall stone attack since I re-started, so hopefully I can at least delay the operation!

*hugs & blessings*
Smoffi

I'd suggest you keep a diary here so we can keep an eye on you and let u know if we see anything you may not have picked up x

If you are going to class, what does your consultand have to say?

I think the first thing you need to do is post a food diary of what you would eat in a typical day including amounts if possible. I suspect that you are so desperate to lose weight for your operation that you are cutting back too much and being too strict.

I did an estimated BMR which tells you how many calories your body needs to function on a daily basis and it came out at over 2000 calories a day without even factoring in any exercise. If you are taking in a very low calories then your body will preserve energy and your losses can grind to halt.

So first things first - let's see what you are eating because even though you have be 100% on plan it is still possible that you are not eating enough.

My consultant hasn't seen a problem, but then I haven't really told her there is one, when she asks how we feel about our weight loss that week my stock answer is "It's a loss so I'm happy" But this week I will let her know how it's all got on top me.

I will post my food intake here, thankyou. I don't think I'm undereating, but as you say you never really know, and I appreciate that you will take a look at it for me :)

Off to church now, hopefully will return in a better frame of mind!

Thank you all!

It's important to let your consultant know how you're feeling so don't hold back :) pray for strength and God will give it to you I'm sure.

hi, i'm sorry to hear you are feeling down. people lose weight via different means. in my opinion the slimming world plan generates healthier weekly losses as its not a restrictive plan.
for instance in the past i have followed numerous diets, lost 6lb a week, another big loss the following week, then lost all of my energy and binged on anything i could get my hands on for 4 weeks following and in turn ending up a few lb heavier than when i started.

last year i decided to try sw, expecting to be the same....i never have much faith in myself :p, and here i am 52 weeks later having lost 59 and a half lb, which works out at less than 1lb a week as i had a big loss my very first week. its frustrating at times BUT i just tell myself its not just a loss, its a sustainable healthy way of losing weight. its carried me through one whole year and i have only had 4 cousecutive days off plan during the summer cos i went on my yearly hol. and if i have a night out offplan i make slightly better choices, but the main thing is that we can have the willpower to get stright back ontrack.
you can too, i never in a million years thought i would get past that 2nd week of dieting. good luck, keep trying...thats the most important thing. i hope this makes you feel a little better, i know its not that helpful :)

Don't worry too much about small losses. They do eventually add up to a big loss and are so worth it. My losses in my first year less than a lb a week however, I lost three stone which is a big loss and changed my life. It doesn't seem fair that some people lose much more quickly but you have to accept that you may not be a fast loser and focus on your own weight loss journey. It's so daunting at the beginning when you have so much to lose and it seems impossible so it's best to focus on smaller goals such as the next stone or your Club 10.

I know it's hard and it's why all my previous diets failed. The difference with SW is that I can eat tasty food without being hungry. I don't feel deprived on plan so even if I'm having tiny losses I think why go off plan and ruin all the hard work I've done so far when I'm eating good, filling food anyway.

Hopefully someone here might be able to spot something in your food diary that you consultant has missed but at least you'll get lots of support here which should help you through this. There are many people who get 'stuck' on plan but eventually most of them get through it and carry on to be very successful.

Good luck.

smoffi, i hope you are feeling a bit better after going to church and the support you have been given on here. I am sending you a big hug :hug99::hug99::hug99:
small loses are so frustrating but they are a loss, your surgeon will apprieciate that you listened to his advice and lost weight.
the body is a strange thing and it is entirely possible that you aren't eating enougth and that is slowing you down.
whatever the reason don't negate what you have already achieved and keep up the good work xxxx

sweetie you will succeed at this. Please post examples of what you are eating and start a food diary so that others can help if possible.

Do you stick to EE? I find I am better mixing the plans up abit and swapping HEXB's and A's about. ie not getting stuck in a rut for example and having rivita every lunchtime. This is just an example I'[m not saying don[t have it just mix them around to keep your body guessing, fluid intake, etc etc

I lose weight slowly but theres nothing wrong with that. I know you wanted to lose 2 stone etc but you are losing and it will go :D xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi everyone, thankyou so much for your support. I'm sorry I haven't posted for a couple of days, but I got struck down with the most horrific toothache when I lost a filling, and broke the same tooth!

Dentists are my biggest phobia, and when I could no longer stand the pain and screwed up the courage to call my dentist, found I hadn't been to him for over 15 years!

Anyway, hows this for true dedication.. despite the pain I refused to take an appointment yesterday until after weigh in! lol

I lost another 1.5lb, which I'm fairly happy with as I'd braced myself for another 1lb :)

From today, I will post here everything which passes my lips, for you good ladies and gents to analyze for me :)

*hugs & blessings*
Smoffi

Hi!
Can I just say that it could be the exercise? Lots of reasons.
When you lower your food intake weight loss is from muscle and fat, this is not an efficient way to lose weight as losing muscle means slower losses after a while. So by exercising you are replacing muscle so it cancels the (negative) loss of muscle.
Before anyone says you can't build muscle that fast, I know from going from zero exercise to a fair amount that you can, I can feel it, in my arms legs and tummy.
Even without building muscle the tiny tears caused during exercise cause the body to hold water to protect it.
Don't give up though! I haven't lost anything in weeks but had more compliments due to my changing body shape! ( I have been off plan a bit naughty me).

As someone pointed out earlier you might not be eating enough, our bodies don't like losing weight and will conserve it, try eating 6 smaller meals a day to ensure constant metabolic rate.

Are you sleeping well? Not enough sleep slows the body down in all ways, make sure you're getting at least 7 hours.
Worry will slow everything down.

So instead of pretending all is ok at church tell someone nice 'actually it's hard going and I would really value your prayer support'. Ask if you can have a text prayer partner, just an SOS and the knowledge someone is praying will do you good I'm sure. Oh and if you can't ask anyone at church PM me and I'll give you my number!
God Bless.... We can do this!

Aw smoffi :grouphugg:

As well as everything everyone has said above, have you had a blood test recently? My weight loss suddenly slowed down around March and it was only last month the doctor got round to checking some bloods I had done in Feb that showed I was hypothyroid. Its only a possibility but if you are finding it this difficult that is definitely something they ought to be checking if they havent already. But congrats on the 1.5lb this week, that's great! Look forward to seeing your diary

Good luck and hugs x :)

ermintrude.. I was tested around 2 or 3 years ago, and all was fine, but haven't been tested recently. I was under the impression thyroid problems were something you either did have or didn't? If you'd been tested negative then you would always be negative?

I could be wrong (and probably am!) as I can't think what basis I have for thinking it.

It's something I will bear in mind looking into if things don't start shifting soon!

Today has been a bad day foodwise - not that I've eaten anything I shouldn't, just not eating enough, mainly because my tooth starts hurting whenever I eat :(

I had a mugshot mid-morning, another portion of bolognese for lunch (I know I shouldn't eat the same thing so much, but hate to see waste, and no space in the freezer!) And am just having another mugshot.. I've had none of my hex's yet today, and no syns. Planning on steak & SW chips for dinner.. although I'm not really anticipating being able to eat much of it. I might just do that for hubby, and have a skinny lizzy sausage sandwich - at 1 syn per sausage, that means not enough syns, although if I put a cheese slice on it, it takes care of both hex's

ermintrude.. I was tested around 2 or 3 years ago, and all was fine, but haven't been tested recently. I was under the impression thyroid problems were something you either did have or didn't? If you'd been tested negative then you would always be negative?

Not at all, it can start at any time. It's most common onset is in middle-aged women. It may well be fine, but its something they should check if you're finding it so hard.

Smoffi, hang on in there. Remember that you are trading in an unhealthy lifestyle that makes you miserable for a healthier one that will eventually reward you greatly. In the meantime you need to do the footwork, so to speak, one step at a time, until you get where you want to be. Patience is indeed a virtue!

I was very touched and impressed when you wrote earlier that you have decided NOT to have weight loss surgery, because of all the things they 'don't tell you'. I could have jumped up and down, and cheered! These days WLS is increasingly seen as the answer to all obesity problems but it really isn't. It is drastic, invasive, major abdominal surgery and it carries very real risks, not just during the op but for a long time, afterwards. I know that many do well on it and I am glad for them, but I hate the fact that it is now big business and that the risks are so often played down, hidden behind feel-good images in glossy promotional literature.

You can do this, and you will. Bless you x

Back