Feeling sad need advice

Naomi F

I need some advice as seriously considering giving up, I have been doing SW 6 weeks now, have not gone off plan once and in this time have lost 3.5lb

Up until 2 weeks ago had lost 5lb which I was happy with, then joined a gym and really threw myself into that aswell and first week gained .5lb which I was advised could be water retention, which I think I am prone to, but then at yesterday's WI I had gained a further 1lb. The only other thing I had changed was trying red and green days (mainly green) no EE, as my sister is/was doing SW with me and lost a lot more successfully on red and green so I also decided to give that a try.

The only other thing that had changed this week was attending a different group and therefore using different scales however I assume they should all be calibrated to avoid this sort of thing happening? And my sister lost 1lb...

I could not bring myself to stay for Image Therapy as I knew I would cry if I did when my turn came to speak and I could not stop crying all night when I got home and have just been feeling so sad all day whereas before this felt really happy and positive, I just don't feel there's any point in attending WI anymore if it is making me so unhappy.

I am quite happy to carry on the diet a little bit longer just by myself and buy some scales and just do it myself. Alternatively I have been considering what other diets I could try but SW appeals to me because I know it is balanced and healthy - sadly it just doesn't seem to work for me.

I have been keeping food diaries although I stopped this week, my C said my previous ones were fine - but I have been keeping track of every single syn, even chewing gum and previously I was eating 5 syns per day but it was suggested that was too low so in the last couple of weeks I have upped them to on average 9.

Other changes I've tried to make are thinking about my portion sizes, drinking loads of water/free squash and only eat when I'm hungry. I measure my hex and just snack on fruit or alpen light bars.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

hugs babe, dont compare urself to ur sister, each person loses weight different pace, try measuring urself, are ur clothes looser. 6 weeks is only early babe.

How disappointing for you but please do not give up.

Was your meeting at a different time of day this week that can make a huge difference.

Strictly speaking the scales should be all the same BUT last week our group had a relief person and everyone in the group including me did way better than they had expected (i had a 3 pound loss after a weeks holiday !) This week most people who lost last week gained this week on our regular scales I gained 1.5 pounds after a week 100% OP

other things to try are posting a diary on here.

Good luck and do not give up, also try staying to image therapy even if you might cry i have cried in group but someone alwasy can help me feel better.

Good luck

Teresa

Don't give up............. like the others have said it is still only early days. As much as its only natural to compare yourself with your sis, you just cant. everyone is different and the plan works differently for everyone. Like with anything new, there is a time of adjustment and getting to grips with things. What works for one, doesnt work for another. Start a food diary here.
Like with many things a lot of trial and error is involved, some are lucky and find the right formual n week one. maybe try EE for a month, or one day of each on rotation. but stick with it to see what works for you. it maybe some foods aren't working for you. Bread is my 'bad' food, so i have virtually cut it out altogether. keep the food diary and stick at. The plan really does work.

you can do it

If you were doing well until you changed from EE to mostly green, that might be the problem. If EE worked for you then that is the plan for you - stick with it. It's much too early to give up!

Don't give up , I would go back to EE. OP are right in saying don't compare yourself to anybody else , everybody has a different make up. I have loads to lose and people are always surprised it doesn't fall off me at a greater rate than it does. Although, I have made a great start with EE. i am fully expecting it to slow down and I have to accept that. Sad but true::(:cry:
:

Oh big (((HHUUGG))) to you, don;t be disheartened, as the others have said, go back to EE give it another couple of weeks, start up a diary in the food diary section, you will get loads of support over there, i keep mine religiously, i find it keeps me focused and motivated, could the weight gain be the exercise, quite a few SW'ers on here have found a slow weight loss when they started gym but then suddenly had a "big" loss, maybe this could happen to you. Don't compare yourself to your sister, we all lose weight at different individual levels, you might find that this time next month, you are dropping the lbs but your sister is stuck, chin up, head high, tummy in, chest out, you can do it!

Darling, i know that sometimes we have our moments where we don't want to be around our other group members, feeling like we've put a big sign saying "Failure" above us and that everyone will be judging us and thinking we are cheating the diet ect. HOWEVER this is NOT the case!

The whole point of Image Therapy is to make each other feel more confident about ourselves and to be supportive of each other when we are feeling as you are now. there have been times during the first time i joined SW where i followed it down to a tee and gained a lot, but cheated and lost. sometimes our bodies do that, it could be the weather or change in how active we are. it took my body a whole month to adjust me doing more sports and to start going down again. so don't despair! smile :) and say to yourself, "this is not just a diet TO me. this is FOR me. this is a lifestyle change that i want so i can feel good about myself". after all hun, if we were able to lose weight at home by ourselves we would have done so already, and not bothered to pay £4.50 a week.

Being at group helps you realise that there are others who are going through what you are going through, sometimes all you need is a hug and those other members there can do that for you. other times you might want inspiration, once again ask other members who are doing well what recipes they are trying and see what works for you.

Just remember one thing hun. EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. our tastes are different, our styles, looks, feelings, reasons for joining. everything we do is different but everyone in slimming world ultimately has the same goal, no matter how long it takes them, people CAN lose and keep the weight off as long as they keep to it. successes and failures happen, but you'll never truely lose the battle against your weight unless you give up hun. so lift you head high and tell yourself that you can do this, not because of someone else, or even for your appearance but for your chance to be all that you can and not be ruled by food, but control it instead.

Don't compare your weight loss to someone else because you are not them, you are you. a beautiful, wonderful person who took the first step to combatting food and took another to ask for help on here. you are a wonderful and brave person for doing so and i hope that what i have said helps you. i wish you the best hun and hope you will be able to smile about yourself soon. :)

P.S. if you are a chocoholic like me and can't seem to stop at one bar/biscuit then i have a suggestion.

mix one sachet of hot chocolate Options (any flavour you like) with one of those small pots of Total 0 yogurts and add sweetener to your taste and wholla! a very filling 2syn chocolate yougurt. :D

Darling, i know that sometimes we have our moments where we don't want to be around our other group members, feeling like we've put a big sign saying "Failure" above us and that everyone will be judging us and thinking we are cheating the diet ect. HOWEVER this is NOT the case!

The whole point of Image Therapy is to make each other feel more confident about ourselves and to be supportive of each other when we are feeling as you are now. there have been times during the first time i joined SW where i followed it down to a tee and gained a lot, but cheated and lost. sometimes our bodies do that, it could be the weather or change in how active we are. it took my body a whole month to adjust me doing more sports and to start going down again. so don't despair! smile :) and say to yourself, "this is not just a diet TO me. this is FOR me. this is a lifestyle change that i want so i can feel good about myself". after all hun, if we were able to lose weight at home by ourselves we would have done so already, and not bothered to pay £4.50 a week.

Being at group helps you realise that there are others who are going through what you are going through, sometimes all you need is a hug and those other members there can do that for you. other times you might want inspiration, once again ask other members who are doing well what recipes they are trying and see what works for you.

Just remember one thing hun. EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. our tastes are different, our styles, looks, feelings, reasons for joining. everything we do is different but everyone in slimming world ultimately has the same goal, no matter how long it takes them, people CAN lose and keep the weight off as long as they keep to it. successes and failures happen, but you'll never truely lose the battle against your weight unless you give up hun. so lift you head high and tell yourself that you can do this, not because of someone else, or even for your appearance but for your chance to be all that you can and not be ruled by food, but control it instead.

Don't compare your weight loss to someone else because you are not them, you are you. a beautiful, wonderful person who took the first step to combatting food and took another to ask for help on here. you are a wonderful and brave person for doing so and i hope that what i have said helps you. i wish you the best hun and hope you will be able to smile about yourself soon. :)

P.S. if you are a chocoholic like me and can't seem to stop at one bar/biscuit then i have a suggestion.

mix one sachet of hot chocolate Options (any flavour you like) with one of those small pots of Total 0 yogurts and add sweetener to your taste and wholla! a very filling 2syn chocolate yougurt. :D

TOP POST!

donnajt, thanks :)

LOL did you have to copy the whole thing though? looks like i'm spamming haha. nice pic BTW

what lovely caring people you all on here - this forum is the best
yeah, i totally agree hun, this forum is brill!

debtdummy we love you too. :D

i hope that "I started sw because someone came a comment i looked pregnant, i was gobsmacked and ashamed. now i am doing something about it:cry:" this isn't true hun, 'cause that will make me feel very angry at whoever said that.

you should NEVER feel embarrassed about yourself. ever! just imagine if we all looked the same anyway, how boring would that be? besides the problem of not being able to recognise who's who?

just remember that those who go around and say hurtful things are doing it 'cause they feel bad about themselves and want to make other people feel bad. they are not worth listening to and probably won't be getting perfect body of the year award themselves.;)

on the plus note though, had you not joined SW you wouldn't be on this forum and i wouldn't be able to chat with you.:cry:so it's actually a very good thing really at the end of the day.:D

Hi I just wanted to thank everybody who took the trouble to reply to me (especially chazdiver even if you did make me cry again that was an amazing reply so thank you so much) I just wanted to report that since that nightmare WI I have suddenly lost 5lb, so it seems you were all right, my losses just needed to catch up with me after I started at the gym, so thank you all so much :)

Thats good news well done my losses slowed down when i started swimming i think its because you are building muscles which is good it will also help you tone you too. Also maybe measure your waist every few weeks and you may notice a big different in the inches on the waist but not so much on the scales. Carry on the good work xx

Hi I just wanted to thank everybody who took the trouble to reply to me (especially chazdiver even if you did make me cry again that was an amazing reply so thank you so much) I just wanted to report that since that nightmare WI I have suddenly lost 5lb, so it seems you were all right, my losses just needed to catch up with me after I started at the gym, so thank you all so much :)

oh hun, i'm sorry for making you cry :doh: but i'm glad i could help. :)

well done on the weight loss darling, we knew you could do it. :bliss:

Back