FEELING SAUCY

mechmanuk

johnboy
Hi ladies and some lads, im a fella who's now convinced to try low carbing again but really need a few ideas chucked at me. I dont get much time with work etc, the missus doesnt really help as she doesnt eat veg, anything other than plain english stuff, which if im honest bores me.
Anyways i would really like some ideas as to what sauces, gravy i can use. Ones i can buy from tescos or sainsburys, i dont get much time to make my own sauces and to be fair alot of spices and food items would probably get wasted as only i would use them?
I dont like the idea of plain old meat and veg (need something to put on there), same with salads, can i use salad cream (prefer this to mayo?) are there any other bottled sauces i can use, dressings?
the missus uses bovril cubes/oxo and gravy granules for dinners?

Anyways i be greatly appreciative if any of you kind people can help me sort a few of these items out and get em listed, thanks in advance john.

Hi John and welcome

Men always do really well on Atkins, so I'm sure you'll enjoy it :)

here's some random ideas on sauces, etc -

- mix a little cream with mustard, say, zap for a minute to heat up and pour over meat
- cream cheese is lovely smeared over chicken, fish or pork
- salad cream is Ok - but mayo is your friend :) I use it every day and love it (can you tell? haha) - with lemon, or peppercorns, or chilli flakes, or.....
- gravy granules are fine if they are low carb enough, I think I have a Tescos one in the cupboard that I use occasionally
- I know you say spices wouldn't get used - but you might like Ras el Hanout - it's a Moroccan rub, available from supermarkets - so simple, you sprinkle it across a chicken breast, rub in and fry - and it's lovely!

Hope this helps.

The ras el hanout is lovely on lamb too!

To make a gravy i use the meat juices and add thick cream and loads of pepper to it lovely on a steak!

Another thought - I love a bit of sauteed cabbage, and put a good dollop of butter when I saute, then pour the lot over my protein dish and hey presto, a buttery cabbagey sauce :D

I do ras el hanout chicken, bake a goat's cheese round in the oven for 15 minutes, and quickly wilt some spinach - and then pile the lot on a plate - perfick, as Pop Larkin would say.

i make a chees sauce by melting together in a pan some butter, some cream cheese, some mozerella, a dollop of mayo and a bit of grated chedder...it takes very few mins to make and tastes yum!

editing as i forgot to say i put a little double cream in it too

Last edited:
Back