Feeling the Fear, but Doing it anyway!

Shirleen

Gold Member
This is sort of a motto of mine, I believe challenging fears is healthy after all fear helps you to feel alive!

However I'm not talking about sky diving etc as that's too big a step for me!

So I thought I'd do a shout out to any of you who have done something new and exciting, whether it's driving to a new town, going swimming, speaking in public whatever it is be proud of yourself and let us congratulate you!

My shout out is that I'm rather frightened of horses, (sorry Fillymum), I think they're beautiful but rather frightening!
On Saturday I went for a walk with my SU and in the field were three ponies (we have alot of Gypsies around here, not tinkers/travellers proper Gypsies) they tether their horses in the field to graze. Anyway the fist two were rather large, and we gave them a wide berth, the third one was a pretty little thing, so heart in my mouth I went over and stroked her!
Not massive but I was proud of myself!

Attachments

• Pony.jpg
    Pony.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 31
Ooo, I like this thread! :D

Back in May I went for a job interview in Cardiff...I'd never driven as far as Cardiff before but I bit the bullet and drove there (all the way from St Davids) rather than catching the train! Not only did I drive there, but I got lost on the way and ended up nearly in Newport then having to drive back through the centre of Cardiff to get to the hotel in the Bay. I'm pleased to say I didn't panic at all when I got lost - I just pootled along and got there eventually :)

Since then I've driven to Cardiff twice - there's no stopping me now! :D:D

Well done Shirleen! I have had horses all my life but know how scary a big and powerful animal can be. You should be very proud of yourself :)

I encourage everyone to do some sort of activity with horses. They can give such exhilirating and excellent experiences. I absolutely adore them and spend as much time as I can with mine.

It's funny you started this thread though because I faced a fear of mine today! I went for a job that I have wanted for a while but was too frightened to go for. I am in forensic management at the moment but saw this job and applied for it. It was the scariest moment of my life at the interview today because I suppose a part of me thought I wasn't good enough.

Just before I saw this thread, I got the phone call to say that I've got the job!!! Facing my fear was the best thing I could have done.

So, even if I gain at WI tonight - I doubt I'll be so bothered now.

Dudette, how fantastic for you! Well done! I've booked a holiday in Wales for me and my mate and I'm doing the driving so will be an EEK moment for me! Driving anywhere you don't know is heart in mouth time I reckon! Well done!

Niax, congratulations on the new job! Interviews are awful aren't they? And you need to work on that self esteem, look in the mirror and say "See? I AM good enough" and poke your tongue out!

BTW what in heckers is Forensic Management?

Well done Shirleen! I have had horses all my life but know how scary a big and powerful animal can be. You should be very proud of yourself :)

I encourage everyone to do some sort of activity with horses. They can give such exhilarating and excellent experiences. I absolutely adore them and spend as much time as I can with mine.

I agree Niax and well done Shirleen because they are scary when you are not accustomed to them.

There is a old saying that is so so true for me, *The outside of the horse is good for the inside of the soul *.

I am very lucky that 2 of mine live here with us and at 34 years old and 26 years old we are three old ladies together.

Shirleen who is you SU??

My Service User (it's the 'in' word) It's a severely Learning Disabled man I support. He also went up to the pony but the way he had his hand cupped the poor girl thought he had food!

All I have done recently is joined my SW class instead of sitting at home in denial.
Driving somewhere I've never been is my biggest fear. I don't do it , Mr bought me a sat nav. I don't trust that either :(

BTW what in heckers is Forensic Management?

:D Bloody hard work! lol

I manage the police doctors and nurses. Love it but it can be harrowing at times. My new job will be Operations Manager. I've wanted to do it for years so I am really excited now.

I manage the police doctors and nurses. Love it but it can be harrowing at times. My new job will be Operations Manager. I've wanted to do it for years so I am really excited now.

Gosh !! That sounds fascinating.

What a full life you lead Niax.

Slightly depressing, but my Nana passed away several years ago, and I was too scared to go to the funeral (or in denial more like), and had never visited the grave. But I plucked up the courage on my birthday this year, drove the 255 miles (it was en route) and put flowers down. I was in a mess, but I did it, and I now sleep much better at night :)

I too am a little wary of horses, and cows, and anything kinda big really!

Gosh !! That sounds fascinating.

What a full life you lead Niax.

Fascinating but very hard, which is part of the reason I want to leave.
I work from home but am constantly on call which means lots of disturbed nights. Back to more normal hours now so I should hopefully have more time for fun things :)

Well done Tinytoots, that must have been a very difficult day for you. I'm sure your nana would be very proud of you

Gosh absolutely fascinating! Glad the new job will be less stressful though!

Slightly depressing, but my Nana passed away several years ago, and I was too scared to go to the funeral (or in denial more like), and had never visited the grave. But I plucked up the courage on my birthday this year, drove the 255 miles (it was en route) and put flowers down. I was in a mess, but I did it, and I now sleep much better at night :)

I too am a little wary of horses, and cows, and anything kinda big really!

Oh that is fantastic hunny! Well done for overcoming that and I think your Nana will be saying 'That's my girl' in pride of you xxxx

Now I think I was brave enough to touch the horse because I've been going to the city farm once a fortnight to feed the animals (my SU's voluntary job) and got used to the cow (they have really long curly tongues), the sheep and the goats but with the protection of the fence.
You'll laugh but I still give the rabbits a wide berth bleeeurgh!

Back