FGS's Sort of Lighter Life

fatgirlslims

is going all the way...
This is going to be my sort-of-lighter-life diary. I say sort of, because although I'm staying in ketosis, I am eating some food as well - so be warned any abstinence LLers - food talk within. That's also why I'm posting this here - I know many LLers are very serious about abstinence (and rightly so), but I truly believe you have to do what works for you. And for me, this seems to be working.

So, a brief potted history - I've done every diet going in the last 20 years, and have reached goal 3 times (most recently 2004), but have never managed to keep the weight off for various reasons (I'm sure I'll get the chance to explore this whilst writing my diary). I've done the first few weeks of LL twice before (third time lucky, as they say). Unlike many, I don't seem to struggle in my first week, but in my second / third (and then give up). I don't feel hungry as such, but I feel weak, my brain feels slow and thick, and I can't concentrate. I'd like to think this is because I have a very active lifestyle, but I know others who do and do very well on full abstinence.

Anyway, I was at my wits end when I read about LL lite. But because my counsellor won't let me do it because my BMI is over 30, plus I really feel I'd benefit from all the counselling you get by doing the full course. So I signed up to another 100 days, but wasn't really committed in my mind.

First week went well - full abstinence and 9lbs off. I spent a lot of time browsing these boards and liked the Cambridge 810 plan and other similar ideas. Felt I might be better suited to this, but again, I really wanted the counselling with LL. So this week (my second week) I've introduced a few meals - protein and veg, no carbs, small portions, and more gentle exercise. I'm still in ketosis and although some have reported that it's more difficult once you've broken abstinence, I haven't found this to be the case at all.

I haven't craved any sort of carbs, I've been able to eat out (salad!) and I have much more energy than I had when I did it before. It's certainly not all plain sailing, but I actually feel like I could get somewhere like this (or at least have the energy to cycle the kids to school, which is better than last time!).

I also feel I'm not so all or nothing - it's still a fairly extreme diet, but I'm compromising, which is something I don't often do (either diet or binge, that's usually me!)

I haven't told my LL counsellor - I don't want to be booted off, and I don't feel the need to discuss it in class (others are in abstinence and I'm not so selfish that I'd risk throwing them off track), but further down the line I may confess!

This isn't for everybody, I'm certainly not recommending it (I'd hate someone to read this, introduce some food and fall off the wagon completely...), but it seems to be working for me. And not much else has of late.

So that's that and here starts my diary!

So generally I'm having 3 packs and a low calorie protein-based meal. Yesterday I had a porridge pack for breakfast (10am), a salad (avocado, little bit of chicken, lettuce and 4 cherry tomatoes dressed with balsamic vinegar) for lunch at 1pm, porridge pack at 4pm and hot chocolate pack at 8pm. Plus lots of water.

Today I'm on packs as its WI tonight. I might have some salmon and green veg tonight but its unlikely as it'll be late by the time I get home. Woke up feeling very low in energy, had my bar at 9am. Think I'll have a soup for lunch at 1pm and poss a hot choc at 5pm. Class at 7.30pm.

I'm loving the porridge packs and the hot chocolate. Ideally I'd have porridge for breakfast, a food lunch, a bar mid afternoon and a hot choc in the eve in front of the telly...mmmm.

My scales are showing a 4lb loss this week, but the group scales might differ substantially so I'm not getting my hopes up yet.

I've just posted this on a thread about how you intend to maintain your loss. I've been thinking about this lots because I've regained a number of times, so I thought I'd repost here (keep all my stuff together so I can refer back...

-----------------------------------------------------

I've been reading a book called Only Fat People Skip Breakfast. I like a lot of what she's saying, it's quite a lot of common sense. I don't agree with everything (e.g. she's anti-swimming, which seems weird, and she advocates no carbs except breakfast and last thing at night (!)), but the bits I like are:

- Eat every 3 hours (e.g. breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner, poss post-dinner snack if needed)
- Cut out sugar and refined carbs on most days (totally agree with this, should be saved for special occasions, sugar is evil!)
- Eat protein with every meal
- No counting / weighing etc.
- Exercise at least every other day for min 30 mins.

That, along with the Food Doctor principles (eat good fat, protein at every meal, need less carbs towards the eve, palm sized portions, drink water etc.), I hope will fit nicely into my life.

I think it's quite important to consider the things I'm not prepared to give up:
- Regular snacking (happy for it to be healthy though!) - I've never been able to go from lunch to dinner without one!
- Flexibility (e.g. the opportunity to eat tea with my girls (aged 3 & 4) at 5pm, and have a snack later, or have a snack with my girls and eat later)
- Coffee! Again, happy to compromise and have it black, or with soya milk and treat it as a snack rather than a drink.

Sure I'll think of more...
-------------------------------------------------

hey, just followed the link from the siggy on you may starters post, an interesting read, but i think it might tempt me lol, so dunno that I'll be reading again hehe xxx

Back