FGS's Weight Loss Diary

I'm about to take the dog out for a run, but they're having an event in the park for kids. The park is just outside my house which means I can't get by without being spotted by lots of mums I know...I hate people seeing me running. Grrr.

Time to bite the bullet and just go!

Oh, and I had a small breakfast today (only about 150kcal - filling, so didn't realise it was that little) so I've topped it up with a Slimfast choc shake before I ran. They are really filling! I might use them in the evening to stop me picking.

I am buzzing! I have just been for a 5 mile run and then came back and wolfed a massive salad (late lunch). Yum!

I'm really into my salads now. I don't know if anyone else has read "The Lunchbox Diet"? They did an article on it in Zest and whilst I couldn't stick to the diet, I really enjoyed the food. I hated salads before - you know, a little bit of tasteless lettuce, an unripe tomato and some cucumber, with no interesting dressing. But, reading The Lunchbox Diet changed that - it's suprising what you can put in for not too many calories...

The main principle was you had a big (2-4 litre) lunchbox stuffed full of yummy stuff - and you could add anything really, avocado, feta, seeds and nuts, as well as all the traditional stuff. He emphasized adding protein of any form, and only recommended carbs if you were active. Now the idea was that you should nibble on this lunch box all day, rather than just eating it at lunch. And then you could have a healthy breakie, a healthy tea and voila, weight loss.

I never did it that way because I just wolfed all my box at lunchtime - wasn't any good at deciding when I was full and saving some...but here's what I did get out of it:

I now love salads! And there's two reasons:

1. I use foods I always considered too high calorie / high fat / interesting for a diet
2. For dressing, I put balsamic vinegar and then shake the box - that's the important bit, coz then everything mixes up and makes its own sort of sauce - feta or avocado are really good in a box because they flavour everything and makes it feel very indulgent!

So I never have salad on a plate any more but it's brill! It's good to know that, having been on so many diets, I can put some of them to use now!!!

yuuuum! that salad sounds fab! yummy. i'm getting fed up of soups for lunch - the weather's too nice today. the salad box sounds ideal!

i know what you mean about finding salads boring. i have recently banned iceberg lettuce from my house. how insipid, tasteless and un-nutritional!! all veg that i put in my salads must be as vibrant a colour as possible, so rocket, spinach and kale for greens with dark red tomatoes, red cabbage, sweetcorn and carrot. yummers.

i'm gona do this on monday - thanks for the inspiration!!

Right. Confession time. I lost the plot big time this weekend. I know I need to analyse why or it's going to come back and bite me when I'm trying to maintain, so here goes.

I made it through half the day on Sat, but was feeling hungry and edgy from get go. Went walking and shopping with the girls and when I got back at about 3pm, had a snack (nuts). And another (more nuts). And then some chocolate. And then some pasta (strictly on my binge list, funnily enough, chocolate isn't!). And then more food. And then continued on Sunday. Why? I'm not sure, but here's what comes to mind:

Tired. Hot. Grumpy.
Felt I deserved a treat. A reward for being good all week.
Tend to get hungrier on days off after exercise - is this a mental thing? Or any actual physiological thing?
Certain foods / state of minds are triggers for me.
I don't seem to get full when I'm in this mental place.
I try and punish myself for doing this (right, so tomorrow I'm only going to eat 1000kcal, and I'm going to do at least 2 hours of exercise...) which then stops me getting back on track the next day.

Why do I feel the need to do this? To "reward" myself with a binge? It's not a reward. It's a punishment, because I end up hating myself. A reward would be a nice meal out. Not eat everything in the cupboard until I feel bloated and cr*p.

To be honest, I still don't really know why I do this. Well, at least the rational part of me doesn't. I didn't feel bad, even when I knew what I was about to do. I felt good, it's only afterwards I feel crap. And I was doing so well.

Well, okay, I was a bit obsessive - counting every single calorie, exercising as much as possible, spending hours on this site. Banning loads of foods (I don't call it banning them, but effectively it is). I know I need to relax about this diet stuff, but I just can't. I have promised myself I'll be more relaxed about it all in September, but not now. Now I want to lose as much weight as possible. I know it's not clever, or sensible, but that's what I want to do.

I need less choice at the moment. Calorie counting is providing me with too much to obsess over and choose. So I've signed up for 28 days to Go Lower. It's ketogenic, which means I can't exercise as intensively as I do when I have carbs in my diet. A good thing, sometimes. It's more calories than LL (which made me feel weak and treacle-brained). But I lost a stone on LL two weeks, and I've kept 12 pounds off. So if I can drop 1 stone in 28 days of Go Lower and keep that off, it'd be great. Nearer my goal.

And I'm also hoping an almost too expensive to afford diet might just give me the kick up the proverbial that I obviously need...;)

I'm not beating myself up over this, but I am determined to learn from it. So I'm not going to scrap this diary, but I will ask a moderator to please move it to the diary section, because I'm not calorie counting at the moment.

Good luck calorie counters, and thank you for your support - I hope to see you (lighter) in a month or two...xxx

Right. New start today. I got up, contemplated going to the shop for pink doughnuts and starting when the Go Lower stuff actually arrives (probably tomorrow), but that's what makes me gain weight. If I'd just eaten what I craved on Saturday - even got a massive takeaway - but got straight back on track, I wouldn't have regained all 4lbs I lost last week. Actually, I'm hoping I haven't regained all 4lbs, that some of it's just water gain that I'll drop quickly, and as its not WI day I'm not taking today's weight as an official weight.

Anyway, what could be a more perfect day for starting a new diet than a Monday which is also the first of the month!

As I don't have my Go Lower stuff yet, I'm going to do CD810 (3 packs and a protein meal) for a day or two until they do arrive. It'll help put me in ketosis and get me ready, and use up some packs I've got left over.

The kids are still at home today (Inset day). So I just want to keep on track and get through the day with minimal pain!

Right, now GL packs yet so here's the plan for today:

B: 2 hard boiled eggs, unsweetened decaf soya latte
L: Green salad with chicken breast,1/2 avocado, 30g feta, parma ham, dressed with olive oil
S: 100g strawberries with double cream
T: 2 pork steaks with cauliflower mash

Planning to drink 3 litres water and take the dog for a 5 mile walk this eve.

Day one going well so far apart from one little slip up - a caffeinated coffee. At least it was black though...

Someone posted in Low Carb about using Tescos diets which provides a menu plan for under 20g carb a day - fab idea, thanks Ditzee. Have noted it here so that when I forget it (and come off Go Lower needing inspiration), I hope I find it again here...

Back