FGS's Weight Loss Diary

fatgirlslims

is going all the way...
Thought I'd start a diary to track my own progress whilst I'm calorie counting...I've done it for 2 days now (just under 1200kcal each day - probably a little low, I want to start higher and exercise more).

My start weight is 12.12 and I'd like to drop down to 10.10 for the beginning of September (2lbs a week), when I'm starting a PGCE so need a whole new wardrobe of smart clothes - I currently live in jeans. And then another stone or so after that.

Anyway, I've done lots of research on how many calories to have. In particular, I loved this article:

How I Lost 25 Pounds in One Month (posted by Jettica a couple of weeks ago). This says you should go by the maintenance allowance of the weight you want to be, not the weight you are now, which for me comes up at about 1750.

I'm also a member of WLR, and that recommends that I need 1255 to lose 2lbs a week, but then adds on extra if I exercise.

Finally, I also looked at my basal metabolic rate on this site:
[FONT=&quot]BMR Calculator [/FONT]
and it came out at 1578. They say you shouldn't go below your bmr because that's when your metabolism slows.

But then I was confused by these boards - because there seems to be lots of success on 1000 or 1200kcal a day.

So I've decided to go with a daily average of 1500, keeping to 1300 on days I'm not exercising, and upping it if I've done a lot.

I'm also going to try and plan my meals in advance, something I'm very bad at and I know it's part of my downfall...

Thanks for reading! This is mainly for me so I won't be offended if no-one comments, but if you feel like it, I'd love to know your thoughts.

You may well be right, skulder. Your BMR would be higher than mine, but I do like to exercise. Not every day, but at least every second day and quite intense (circuit classes, running, that sort of thing). I might put a cap at 1700, but not push myself to eat that much if I'm not hungry, and see how it goes.

Today's plan:
B: Porridge, agave syrup, raspberries, soya latte (230)
L: Don't know yet - picnic organised by someone else, so I'll aim for around 400
T: Quinoa, baby avocado, 17g pine nuts, balsamic vinegar (520)
Snacks: 2 oatcakes with peanut butter, apple, 30g half fat cheddar (350)
Total: 1500 (bit low, considering the exercise?)

Exercise: 1 hr outdoor circuit class, poss walk with the dog (4-5 miles) depending on weather

Oh, and skulder, I completely agree with you on the diets making you fatter. I do see this hopefully as a route into just healthy eating without counting everything, once I get used to my body again. I've subjected it to so much abuse over the years with endless diets etc. But I feel "naked" without a set of food rules / something to count etc. I'm scared of just eating healthily but freely...how sad is that! I'm hoping I'll grow in confidence and judgement as this diet goes on.

Today, so far (and it's 10pm so I'm not going to eat much more now) 1572. Treated myself to a thornton's icecream - so yummy, I love the flexibility of calorie counting!

Exercise added up to 1028 calories, so I don't think I ate enough. I tend to start off diets like a sprinter, but don't last the distance - I get hungry and end up binging, then throw in the towel. I don't always exercise this much but if I have the time I do like to. I don't sit all day either - particularly at half term, I've got a 3 and a 4 year old!

Skulder, I particularly agree with you about the protein - I'm trying for 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat but didn't meet that today.

I've noticed you've lost 36lbs! Well done - you must feel so different.

This says you should go by the maintenance allowance of the weight you want to be, not the weight you are now,

This is a very good idea and one that I've mentioned a few times on this forum. Another is to aim to lose 10% of your body weight (if needed) over the course of 6 months and maintain that loss for the next 6 months. Doing that wont affect your leptin levels (metabolic rate..cravings..body set stuff etc)

Having said that, I dieted on less than 800 kcals and lost 8 stone that way, but it was a formulated diet with adequate protein to help preserve lean mass, and also had various plans on towards the end to increase the metabolism etc.

I'm also a member of WLR, and that recommends that I need 1255 to lose 2lbs a week, but then adds on extra if I exercise.

WLR is fab :)
But then I was confused by these boards - because there seems to be lots of success on 1000 or 1200kcal a day.

I know. It's confusing isn't it. But we don't always see the long term picture.

So I've decided to go with a daily average of 1500, keeping to 1300 on days I'm not exercising, and upping it if I've done a lot.

A very wise plan :clap:

Ahh KD, thank you so much for your advice, I know how experienced you are on all of this - I read your maintenance diary regularly. I've been flitting around diets for the last few weeks (I lost a stone on LL but I missed exercise too much...I guess I should be grateful that I actually enjoy it, or at least the feeling it gives me).

Anyway, I do think the six month thing sounds good but I don't have the patience for it, not at the moment. I'm having a new start in September - change of career and my divorce should be through. I'm going into teaching so will need a new wardrobe, so would like to lose as much as is possible whilst still setting up some food / exercise patterns that will stand me in good stead when things get stressful. After September, I'm happy to take it at a much slower pace and may try the 10% / six month thing.

Thank you again! People are so caring on these boards. And I love the fact that no-one judges you about which diet you're on, but just wishes you successful weight loss :)

Today's menu (I don't always stick to these rigidly, but writing it down really helps me stick to something approximating it!)

B - Soya latte and slimfast bar (first time I've tried one - they are yuck! I'm going to have to look up a recipe for low cal flapjack or similar instead...) (300)
L - Salad (full of yummy stuff - rocket, red pepper, beetroot, feta, king prawns, carrot, new potatoes, dressed with balsamic vinegar) (350)
S: Apple (80), cashew, raisin & almonds (20g of each) (300)
T: Cheese, pepper & mushroom omelette (2 eggs) (280), bowl of home made soup (100)

Total: 1410
Exercise: 30 mins exercise DVD (haven't decided which one yet...)

Treated myself to a thornton's icecream - so yummy, I love the flexibility of calorie counting!

I agree! That's the best thing about calorie counting - you can have whatever you want just as long as the numbers balance. I can't believe I just ate a delicious belgian bun at work for a collleague's birthday but it's okay - I still have 300 cals left for dinner!

Ahh KD, thank you so much for your advice, I know how experienced you are on all of this - I read your maintenance diary regularly.

Oh...that makes 3 people :clap: My diary is only for the very brave, so congratulations :D

Anyway, I do think the six month thing sounds good but I don't have the patience for it, not at the moment.

No, I didn't either :D

Menu sounds good :)

Today, so far (and it's 10pm so I'm not going to eat much more now) 1572. Treated myself to a thornton's icecream

We have a Thorntons cafe not far from home...walking distance in fact :eek:

You pay them some money and they give you a million calories on a plate. So yum though.

B - Soya latte and slimfast bar (first time I've tried one - they are yuck! I'm going to have to look up a recipe for low cal flapjack or similar instead...) (300)

if i may recommend a gorrrrgeous bar - the dorset cereal bars are amaaaaazing! i have them as energy bars when i'm out walking. they do a pistachio and pumpkin seed one and a date and pecan. they have nothing in them that's bad and they taste so yummy! fill you up as well.

i've written down all the ingredients and i'm gona have a bash at making them myself :)

youre doing fab FGS :)

just thought i'd pop in and let you know that the dorset cereal bars are on offer and down to £1 for 3 in asda atm (instead of £2.50) so stock up if you want them :)

rhuba x

Wow thanks! That's a great deal. As soon as I get the kids dressed we'll head off (I'm in my dressing gown too - at 10am on a weekday, outrageous!)

Today's plan:

B: Dorset cereal's muesli, total 0% yoghurt, agave syrup (285)
L: Not sure yet, might be out, but aiming for 350 kcal (350)
T: Smoked trout, brown rice, broccoli & carrots (300)
Snacks: Cashews, almonds, raisins, apple, raspberries (400)

Total: 1335

Exercise: Possible run. If I do go, I might add a dessert onto tea to bring my total nearer 1500.

I've got some quorn pieces in my fridge for tomorrow. Any suggestions on what I might do with them (nothing rude, please!)...

Have a good day, all.

I thought I'd post this here. I posted it on another thread, but I want to keep key thoughts in one place so I can look back on them. This thought was about foods I avoid having in the house because I can't control myself around them. I didn't realise there were so many. I know there's more too. I almost didn't realise I was avoiding them until I wrote this:

--------------------------------

Thank you for sharing your menu. I have foods I have to avoid too - can't have real chocolate (fine with a low fat bar, but couldn't control myself with the real stuff), bizarrely can't have rice cakes either (will eat the whole packet, with butter on top, yum) and def. no white bread in our house. Nor crisps. Nor biscuits. Actually, now I think about it, the list is quite long! The kids tend to get treats that I don't like (e.g. minirolls). Going to be harder when they're older, but hopefully I'll be more in control then.

-------------------------------------------

And I can add to that list too. Won't have Haribo in the house (unless I'm on a binge), or any sort of cream. Or cake...I guess it's a good thing I don't have an "other half" at the mo....

i was at a similar stage to you a couple of months ago. i refused to buy anything bad at all. the most i would have were weightwatchers cheesy puffs and made the oh shout at me if i went for another packet! i am lucky that he's so supportive. then a couple of weeks ago he mentioned to someone, somewhat forlornly, that we don't have treats in our house. i felt so bad! i didn't realise that it bothered him, coz we buy stuff for him to have at work. so i decided to buy a few treats and use them to test my willpower. if i do eat any choc or icecream i make sure there's less than 100 cals in whatever i chose, or i give half to him. i also make sure that it's a concious decision to eat it, which makes me savour it all the more and helps stop a binge.

anywho, i'm doing okay - i have slipped up a couple of times, but i guess that's only natural!

onto your quorn - are they the faux chicken pieces? a bit like the quorn fillets? i have the fillets myself - 2 fillets are only 97 cals! had them last night actually. what i do is make up a marinade, as you would with chicken - some paprika, a little chilli powder and salt and pepper mixed with a little water - mix in the quorn pieces and then shallow fry them in half a tsp of olive oil (about 25 cals) for 10 mins or so. last night i made a marinade with lemonjuice, half a tsp of olive oil and some salt and cracked black pepper. put some on the oh's chicken breast and the rest on my quorn. i had it with smashed potatoes, seasoned with lemon, salt and pepper and roasted asparagus and leeks. it was tasty!

i love quorn, so if you need any more ideas, or have any to share that's great!

your menus sound fab, i think i'm gonna nick a couple of them :)

I'm flattered that you're going to be nicking ideas! Yay!

Quorn mince is fine - I guess I'll just do what I do with other mince. But the pieces - was going to stirfry but worry it'll be flavourless. I might try one of your marinades and then stirfry them. I'll let you know how I get on! Like the sound of adding paprika etc.

Well, that's one way to get my exercise...I have a tricycle - it's a bit like a rickshaw and my girls sit on the back (yes we look completely mad, but we love it!), anyway, I decided to cycle it for 40 mins to get some exercise. We chose a 7 mile undulating route that has a field of llamas half way round (to entertain the kids). Exactly half way round, just after the llamas, the chain broke!!! Stuck, about 3.5 miles away from home, with two kids and a very heavy trike. So I ran it home (well, about 2 miles of it anyway, had to walk intermittently and there was a few downhills where we could freewheel. Mad! I'm knackered now but I well and truly got my exercise done today...

This is my trike: Trikidoo – cycle with two children in safety and comfort (we have the pink one!) It's FAB! And if you don't have kids under 7 you can get one with a big shopping bag on the back. They're pricey, but I use it instead of a car.

I've eaten 1400 calories today, which may be a little low, but I can up it tomorrow if I'm hungry. I started off today quite hungry, so I might be the same tomorrow.

I was doing looking at WLR - where I track my calories, and I'm wondering if my daily average is a bit low for me? I might well be over thinking this, but:

Consumed - Earnt through exercise

Day 1: 1172 - 553
Day 2: 1198 - 0
Day 3: 1572 - 1028
Day 4: 1527 - 220
Day 5: 1393 - 458

Total: 6862 - 2238 = 4624
Daily average = 924.8

Total excluding first two days (as they are abnormally low because I ate a lot previously): 4492 - 1685 = 2807

Daily average excluding first two days: 935.67

Hmmm. I wonder if the "Don't eat under 1200 calories" rule is with or without exercise? I might start a thread to see what others do on this.

Back