Fillet steak - SW style?

Maximus

Gold Member
Help! I've bought a lovely piece of fillet steak as i fancied it for the weekend. I don't want to cook it in butter (Hairy Bikers style) or really use oil unless absolutely necessary.

Has anyone used frylight to season steaks (along with sea salt and black pepper)? I was surprised spray light worked with my yorkshire pudding tins last week instead of dripping/fat;)

I don't want to risk ruining my lovely bit of fillet for the sake of a few syns though. Can anyone advise of a good compromise between healthy & tasty please?

Steve

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, but not sure where else it could have gone.

when i cook steak i use fry light :)

ive bought a fillet steak to eat at the weekend and i plan to use fry light to sear it in the pan then put it in the oven to finish it off:)

I seasoned mine with garlic pepper and 'olive oil' fry light then pan 'fried' - yum :D

Oh goody! - my only qualm was as you all know it is best to cook fillet steak on a very high heat. I was just a little concerned as olive oil does not lend itself to high heat as well as other oils. I guess in fry light form it is not such an issue.

i had one last night used fry light sea salt and black pepper mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:) served with butternut squash chips also done in frylight

I cook mine with fry light as well and its well nice (using a griddle pan) pre SW I used to serve it with blue cheese sauce but now i make a 1/2 syn mushroom sauce i found in a sw recipe book, its still really nice

I'm a firm believer of fillet steak requiring neither butter or sauce to enhance its flavour;)

Then again, I probably listen to too many chefs lol.

I sometimes pick up a bargain bit of rump steak and find grilling it with a little spray of fry light and some season all v tasty. Like to melt hex cheese on the top too.

Just to say it was absolutely superb with fry light, sea salt and black pepper rubbed in. Even nicer in the new pan;)

I had fillet steak too, pepper and garlic salt....superb! :D

now all I need to find is a source of low-cost fillet steak, or a cheaper but similarly tender cut.

Can anyone advise?

I fancy having a regular "steak night" so would need to find a good supplier lol.

Steve

I regularly pick up nice bits of rump steak cheap. Local Co-Op just before closing, stuff on use by date! Same for most Supermarkets I would have thought.

Alternatively some butchers can be cheaper than the supermarkets and do you a deal if you stock up and fill the freezer.

frylight should be fine as long as you are cooking it on a good non stick pan or griddle pan.

I love seasoning my steaks, by rubbing fresh garlic and ginger into it, and then a little light soy sauce at the end of cooking time.

I've never been much of a steak person. Preferring battered products such as fish, sausage etc.

Now a nice steak and mountain of salad or veg and SW fries is even better than I'd imagine.

So what other types of steak can be recommended? - I don't mind the fillet - but what are the next-best custs/options? - I will have a word with the butcher tomorrow, but is it a case of sirloin, rib-eye, T-Bone, rump? and do they all cook more or less the same?

I plan bulk purchasing and freezing to stock up.

As I say, steak was not my forte.

Steve

Rump is good, I just grill it, serve it pink in the middle with some season all on. Mmmmmmm

Fillet is my favourite, perfectly cooked it should melt in your mouth :) I've taken to serving mine with the SW mushroom gravy which is very simple and tasty.

As for alternatives, I went for a cheap sirloin the other day which was very disappointing. I would suggest paying the extra and getting a smaller piece.

Back