Finally doing it...

loumoo

EDIT: Just realised I haven't actually introduced myself, which was rather remiss of me! I'm 33, live on my own in London. No 'other half' to keep me on or off track so it really is just down to me. I'm currently 3 stone lighter than my heaviest last year. That's partly down to the wonder of SW, which I've been on in earnest for about 4 weeks - 3 at class and partly because last August I decided to quit my job and go travelling for 9 months with a friend. I lost about a stone and a half, had a great time and came back inspired to keep up the healthy thing. I've been bigger for years and have half heartedly been on diets (including WW) but nothing that I've actually committed to before. I honestly feel that this time I can do it and I can see myself at a size 12 (currently an 18, which is better than the 22 I was not so long ago). I am 100% enthused, although I do not intend to give up my friends or my wine. I'd like to get to my target as I'd love to finally feel confident in the way I look, which will then hopefully get me to a point where I don't think that every bloke who looks at me/ talks to me is on some kind of evil bet with his mates. We can but dream.....

Anyway - this is the unedited bit! ------>

I thought I'd start one of these to keep track. I normally write everything down in my notebook anyway, but no-one except me gets to see it and it's easy to hide away when I've been less than good...although I do own up to it (...to myself....ahem).

So here goes. Red day today. Sidenote: I've never had an EE day as I can't get my head around it and I like having the flexibility of an extra A or B in the day...but I do like the idea of curry AND rice on the same plate! At the same time! How you can do EE and lose weight is beyond me, but I know enough people that do and do. Black magic if you ask me. Oohhh..chocolate.

Anyway...

a - 250ml ss milk (in tea/ coffee) [i do actually measure this out every morning into my little measuring jug so I know I'm on track....]
a
b - 2 x wholemeal bread (400g loaf)
b - fibre plus (yum)

Breakfast: Smoked salmon and scrambled egg (2 eggs, some milk allowance, a non stick pan and a bit of fry light)

Lunch: Roast beef and tomato sandwich (leftover from my mum's roast the other day - yum!!)

Dinner: Beef kofte curry from the SW curry book - double yum!! Three lots in the freezer and some burgers* made with the leftover mince (700g is an awkward amount!)

Snacks: Muller light yoghurt with some raspberries, blueberries, strawberries and grapes.

Syns: 0, but I had a blowout this weekend at a friends BBQ and I've probably used my 70 and then some for the week :sigh:...which starts again tomorrow as it's WI day :)

*burger recipe: 500g extra lean mince, 1 tblsp mustard powder, 2 tblsp worcester sauce, 2 tblsp BBQ/ cajun seasoning, spring onions chopped finely, 1 egg to bind. Mix together, make into 4 (and a mini meatball!) and bob's your uncle. Delish.

Last edited:
Day 2 :)

ok day 2 of the diary and we start with some good news - 1.5 pounds off today, so that's 10.5 in 3 weeks! Woohoo :D Pleased about that, especially since I had a night at a friend's involving a BBQ and plenty of booze and the parentals were staying with me, which involved more booze (to survive...)

Today was another red day:

a 250ml ss milk
a
b 2 x w'meal bread
b
Breakfast
Bacon and tomato sandwich with home-made syn free ketchup (lifesaver that stuff)
Lunch
Home-made burger (made yesterday) with tomato and onion salad
Dinner
About a thousand pieces of chicken tikka (from the Curry book...delicious - was going to save half, but I ate it all! Used mini chicken filets for it). Served with plenty of lettuce, onion and tomato and some grilled courgette
Syns: 5 (mini bottle of tesco light choices white wine - am trying out the low alcohol version to see if I can cut down on the wine based syns!)

I may have a fibre plus later for my other b. Or maybe 2 alpen light...I like having 2 things!

Hi there

Just wanted to pop in and say -"Well done on your loss" :party0011:
Im a red day girl too -started on EE -but tried Red and decided the carb restriction was a good thing for me ;) -so I love the red days now, have you got the "world of flavour" SW cookbook? it is amazing -the coq au vin and stifado are scrummy ..I don't think I have had one thing from that book that we haven't liked :D
Anyway-keep up the great work ;) ......

Hi Capricorn and thanks for the kind words. I have the World of Flavours (in fact, I have 5 or 6 recipe books that I bought on Amazon when I decided to start this!!) but I haven't made anything from it yet - too obsessed with the curries!! I have made a list of all the recipes that are syn free from all my books, with a page reference (GEEK!) that I have stuck up on cupboards around my kitchen so that I always have inspiration for lunch/ dinner. I like to try new things, so I will have to check out the WofF stuff as it did sound scrummy!

I love red days. Have just scoffed a whole packet of Tesco healthy living ham as a snack to tide me over.... :eatdrink023:

URGH

ok. Today may be taking a turn for the worse. I feel horrible and bloated and to make myself feel better I have turned to the wine. Bottle of red opened and half gone already.................not good. Had an interview today that I think went 'ok' (trying to get back into work after having the past year off) but I think I'm generally stressed about the no job situation. That coupled with the aforementioned bloat and general boredom doesn't bode well. On a positive note, I made myself do a 2.5 mile walk today.............

RED DAY
a Milk (always 250ml ss from now on)
a 42g low fat cheddar
b 2x bread (always 400g wholemeal loaf)
b 2x bread
Breakfast: Bacon and tomato sandwich with syn free ketchup
Lunch: 2 quorn sausages
Dinner: Bolognese mince, with extra courgette and mushroom
Snacks: Pack of tesco healthy choices ham
Syns: 1/2 bottle of wine so far. Probably the whole bottle, so that's 25 1/2

:sigh: Feeling all 'urgh' today and can't put my finger on why.

Last edited:
ok so i added cheese on toast to the above. i've also had another packet of ham and some wine. why why why do i do this? i feel rubbish, i look rubbish...so what is the point???

yeah...i don't know either

Hi hun.... aww, don't beat yourself up, you must have been hungry so you had something more to eat, but it was on plan so it's all good! As for the wine - it's what syns and Fridays were invented for!

What have you got planned for this weekend then? I'm not doing anything that involves getting out of my PJs, hehe x

Hi,
Try not to beat yourself up as you're doing so well. We all have days when we feel just off colour and you didnt go mad with the food and drink, so well done for that. Hope you're feeling better and a bit more positive. Good luck with the job :)

Maybe you should set out your syns for things you know you'll want to indulge in? Then you get a little bit of naughty stuff and aren't feeling pushed away from every thing you enjoy.

You've done so well just keep it up :D

Thanks!

Aw, thanks girls for all your words of support. I'm hoping that it's just a case of pre time of month, in which case I'm doubly cross for not seeing that earlier and giving myself a stern talking to!!! I woke up this morning with a pounding head thanks to all the wine, but I have dusted myself off and I'm about to head out to buy a birthday present for a friend. I'm off to a wine bar this evening, but I shall be sticking to sparkling water with a slice of lime since the thought of any more wine makes me shudder!! Maybe last night's binge was a blessing in disguise as I'm sure tonight has/had the potential to seriously derail me but I'm determined to enjoy myself in an alcohol-free way and just enjoy meeting up with lots of people I haven't seen in ages.

Had a turkey rasher and fried egg sandwich whilst watching saturday kitchen this morning, which dealt with the hangover nicely and all within plan. I love the woman (has to be a woman as it's so fab...right?) who invented frylight. I will never fry in oil and butter again!!

It's a new day and back to feeling optimistic. I'm going to wear a nice black dress tonight in a size smaller than I thought I was and will glam up. That's my mantra for the time being - 'act as if'. So even if I'm not feeling 100% positive all the time, I'm going to act as if I am :)

Another red day :)

ok back from the shops - had to get the bus as the tube isn't runnning today. Was lovely to sit on the top and watch the world go by, I forget how nice it is to be able to see London rather than being cooped up underground!

So - wine bar tonight. There will be food platters, so I'm doing all my eating before I head out! If I'm hungry when I'm back there's plenty of courgette to grill and slices of chicken to raid....

Red day (again!). Need to get a green day in soon as I want chips, beans and potato/courgette rostis. Not all on the same plate though! The rostis are lovely served with 0% yoghurt and chives snipped in....

a Milk
a 5 laughing cow light triangles
b Bread
b 4 ryvita original
Breakfast
Toasted sandwich made with 4 turkey rashers and a fried egg. Some syn free ketchup on the side
Lunch
Smoked salmon and cream cheese on ryvita
Dinner
Chicken curry. Another fave from the curry book that has been in my freezer
Snacks
3 slices roast turkey
Syns
0 - but no need to go into why!! I'll be syn free until next Thurs I reckon.....unless I want a kitkat or something. No more wineful syns though.

Cooking stew tomorrow - I was in the supermarket yesterday and saw some lovely lean braising steak. Will be the first time I adapt my recipe to suit SW. I normally stick a glass of wine in and some gravy granuals but I can't do that now....so I'm thinking I'll do the below - any comments before tomorrow lunchtime when I'll stick it in the oven are welcome!!

Braising steak
Parsnips (they're in my fridge and need to be used)
Button mushrooms
Onion
Celery
Carrot
Beef Stock (those knorr floppy ones)
Tin chopped toms
Bay leaves
Marjoram? Rosemary? Oregano? Garlic? Worcestershire sauce? Marmite?

Dry fry steak. Add chopped onions and celery and fry until softened. Maybe add garlic too. Pint of beef stock, tin of toms. Bring to boil then bung in carrots, parnsips and mushrooms along with bay leaves and any other herbs or sauces that attract me at the time. Whack in oven for 1.5-2 hours at a low-med heat.

I'll serve it with 198g new potatoes (HexB) or just eat it on its own.

ps: please don't tell me to add butternut squash or anything...I have come to the conclusion that after many attempts over the years, me and the squash just aren't right for each other. Same goes for sweet potato. I can maybe have 1 or 2 SP wedges, but that's enough.

Mmmm, that sounds gorgeous, what time will it be ready? I'll be round about 6, hehe.

I'm going to make that now, ultimate comfort yummy food - ohhh also, if you're on a red day you can't (or you'll have to syn) the parsnip xxx

oh yeah - thanks for the parnsips reminder!!! I will have to leave those out as I do want it for a red day meal. Speaking of red days, I've decided today is green, so I'll be cooking the stew today but not eating it today. Turns out I was right about why I was feeling rubbish and I need CARBS and COMFORT FOOD. Potato rostis, SW chips and home-made crisps may well all be on the menu today.

In other news, I went out last night for my friend's birthday and was a paragon of virtue. I had 4 pints of water and didn't even lick a chicken wing!! I was surrounded by chips, wedges, cocktail sausages, chicken wings, mini pizza, sandwiches, onion bhajees (god how i love those), samosas, mini scotch eggs etc etc and didn't have bite. I did have a great time and was told lots how glam I looked (black dress and red lips) so I'm back on track methinks. Little hormonal blip over; attitude restored :D

Breakfast is 2 quorn sausages, toast (sprayed bread with frylight and grilled this morning...naughty) and BEANS. Yum. The question is dinner...should I have more quorn sausages with onion gravy, peas and mash or rosti OR risotto with peas, baby broad beans and asparagus served with grilled garlic prawns? I can imagine eating both and they both hit the comfort food craving I seem to have. I might do the risotto and make courgette/ potato rostis for a TV snack this evening.....decisions decisions.

Last edited:
Hi Loumoo, well done on your progress so far!

I'm with you on the whole comfort food thing, I have far too many green days, but sometimes you just have to have those carbs!

Thanks Spanx...I should admit, I've been a bit of a Sunday Stalker and have been reading your diary - very funny and relateable (not sure if that's a word) :)

I am doing Extra easy so no worries about potatoes or parsnips. I do miss my bread though as I used to make my own, can only have a little now. Your dinner sounds almost the same as mine except hubbie is cooking it. Just hope he remembered no oil!!! He has not got the hang of this diet yet. Have you tried the chocolate banana weetabix cake? It is nice when you have a chocolate craving and is only 12 syns for the whole cake without the topping, and only takes a few minutes in the microwave.

yummymummyuk - am looking forward to seeing how my stew comes out...it doesn't look quite the same as the old version, but smells nice! Went with bay leaves, garlic and some rosemary i found in the back of my fridge along with a touch of marmite for the seasoning so i'm dying to see what the result is! It's in the oven now for 1 1/2 hrs.....

Not tried the cake yet, but I'm quite lucky as I don't really have a sweet tooth as such. I have had the same 2 finger kit kat in my fridge for about 3 weeks!! Thank God though - I can't imagine the horrors if I had a sweet tooth on top of everything else. My downfall is anything savoury - crisps, bread (oh....bread....how I love you), sausage rolls, pasties etc. I definitely miss the taste of french bread with butter or pate and ciabatta with oil & vinegar - but I suppose I prefer the feeling of wearing smaller clothes and actually liking my reflection in the mirror more. When I get down to a weight I'm comfortable with, they'll be reintroduced to my life - but on a proper 'once in a while won't harm me' vs the 'once a mealtime won't hurt me' it'd descended into!!

Back