Finally ordered husks and made 'porridge' last night.

Discussion in 'Cambridge Weight Plan' started by JustJo, 27 September 2007 Social URL.

1. JustJo

JustJo Cambridge Counsellor

I'd been reading about the 'porridge' on here for a while, and I love 'regular' porridge, so I ordered some husks at the weekend, which arrived yesterday.

I've been ssing for a couple of weeks now, to get rid of my summer pounds! I've lost the 12lbs I gained, but, as I was at the top end of the weight I feel comfortable with pre-summer, I still want to get another half a stone off.

Anyhow, the husks arrived on the right day, as I was really hungry yesterday for some reason. So, last night, I blended up a vanilla shake with hot water, and started adding the husks. It didn't seem to be thickening, so I added more and more. Suddenly it was way too thick (must remember next time to give it time to be absorbed properly!), and I had to start adding more water! I wound up with a huge bowlful of the stuff! It wasn't quite as good as real porridge, obviously, but it was nice enough. However, I got two-thirds of the way through it, and I just couldn't eat any more - I was stuffed! I've never left a cd pack part way through before, and was concerned that I wouldn't be getting the full quota of vits, etc, but I just couldn't physically force any more down me! It was quite amusing actually, as the remainder began to turn almost solid sitting on the coffee table, and my fella was quite disgusted by it!

I was then worried that i'd added too many husks, and would either suffer with a bad tummy, or would gain pounds overnight as my tummy felt so full! However, I had no tummy problems, and went to bed contented. This morning, I used the loo, but it was very 'normal', and, when I hopped on the scales this morning, i'd lost a pound since yesterday. Result all round!

So, i'll certainly be using my husks again. :D I'll add less next time, obviously! How much does everyone else use, working on about 260mls of water? Also, what other flavours work well with the husks, in your opinion?

Jo x

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. flirty40greeneyes

flirty40greeneyes Busy busy busy!!

Start Weight:
    15st3lb
    Current Weight:
    13st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st6lb(9.39%)
    Diet:
    Slim and Save
    I don't measure .... just add an amount and mix!

Toffee and walnut use to be my favourite - and strangely not a flavour I'd drink as a shake!

4. Russiandoll

Russiandoll Carpe diem

Start Weight:
    17st4lb
    Current Weight:
    16st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(2.89%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge Weight Plan - Step 1
    I like toffee & walnut and also banana (oddly enough) both sprinkled with a bit of cinnamon. Chocolate isn't TOO bad either. I use about 300ml of water and approx 3 teaspoons of PH. It turns out more 'hot semolina' than porrige but whatever you call it, it sure does the trick on a cold winters morning :)

5. JustJo

6. JustJo

I'll have a go at adding 3 teaspoons later, then. :) Banana might work quite well, and I lurrrve cinnamon, so i'll have to try adding that!

It would be way to filling for me in the morning, as i'm really not a breakfast person anyway. Funny, as I seem to have remained quite full even today - I didn't have my first pack until around noon, and i'm not hungry at all! The husks have seemingly tricked my stomach into thinking it's full. :p

Jo x

7. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Full Member

Diet:
    Cambridge Diet
    Can the husks and cinnamon be used when on or is it just as you move up the plans?

I would love to try it but don't want to if it might knock be out of ketosis.

8. flirty40greeneyes

flirty40greeneyes Busy busy busy!!

Start Weight:
    15st3lb
    Current Weight:
    13st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st6lb(9.39%)
    Diet:
    Slim and Save
    You can use them anytime. They shouldn't take you out of ketosis as they are not absorbed by the body at all. Just make sure you get the pure psyllian husk and that they don't have any additives.

9. Chardonnay

Chardonnay Full Member

Are you talking about Psyllium Husks?

I hated the powder stuff so bought the capsules... does it make you more regular if you have it as "porridge" (as this is a department I really suffer in - no matter how much water I drink)!

Sorry, questions, questions. I tend to stick to my tetras and don't venture much into the shakes and soups!

Love
    Char x:sick0019:x:sick0019:x

10. JustJo

Yes - psyllium husks. To be honest, I have no toilet problems at all when on cd - I bought them purely because I fancied having my shakes as 'porridge'. :eek:

Without wanting to give TMI, I generally always go once a day anyway, but it was more, um, 'substantial' this morning! I'm guessing that's down to the husks!

Jo x

11. Mrs Roch

Mrs Roch Silver Member

Diet:
    Cambridge Diet
    Hi JJ

When you say arrived... where did you get them from?

H x

12. JustJo

I ordered them from here... Psyllium Husks Digestive Fibre - 300g tub

No postage fee, and the tub is bigger than I expected! I couldn't find pure husks in any health food shops, and you need to make sure there's nothing added in them.

Jo x

13. Mz_Curvalicious

Mz_Curvalicious Member

Justjo

What kind of these husks are needed to make porridge? Im baffled as to what they are lol would love to have porrdge just for variety in my diet.

xxx

14. Russiandoll

Russiandoll Carpe diem

Start Weight:
    17st4lb
    Current Weight:
    16st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(2.89%)
    Diet:
    Click on Jo's link and it'll show you the husks you need to make porrige. I also thicken my soups with them and add a teaspoon to shakes to make them a bit thicker (but still drinkable).

Just remember that when I say 'porrige' it's a loose term. Don't expect Scotts porrige oats - the consistancy is more like semolina but it's VERY filling and when you're on a VLCD, every little helps doesn't it. :p

15. shelbell

shelbell Trainee Human On Board

Start Weight:
    20st9lb
    Current Weight:
    11st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st4lb
    Lost(%):
    9st9lb(46.71%)
    Diet:
    Gastric Bypass
    Thanks for the link, have just ordered some :)

16. spooky

spooky Banned

Thanks for this thread and the links...
    I have ordered some. I have a bit of << ahem>> trouble in that department :eek: and the porridge sounds like just what I need as I am fed up with soups, bars and shakes. Maybe a new angle will help!

17. sazzy34

sazzy34 Gold Member

Diet:
    cambridge diet / weight watchers
    OOO just ordered some aswell, can`t wait to give "thick "shakes a try

18. Avatar

MiniMins.com Advert

19. Mz_Curvalicious

Mz_Curvalicious Member

Ok, Thanks RussianDoll

20. Mz_Curvalicious

Mz_Curvalicious Member

Im back to being confused again.....

I went on that site and it shows seeds and a powdered version.

My common sense tell me its the powdered version to use for "semolina" Is this correct? Because those seeds look hard and crunchy (Lol) :S

Forgive if I come across ignorant, but I guess I am until I learn.:)

21. Chardonnay

Chardonnay Full Member

Thanks JustJo!!!

I ordered some earlier today... did not even read... went straight to the link you sent and hit order & checkout... was really busy at work today but I trust you!

Thank you! Hopefully it arrives soon :)sick0019:IYKWIM:sick0019:)!!!

Love
    Char x:ashamed0005:X:ashamed0005:X

22. Russiandoll

Russiandoll Carpe diem

Start Weight:
    17st4lb
    Current Weight:
    16st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(2.89%)
    Diet:
    It's definitely the powder :)

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.