Finding it hard to substitute carbs.

Ozeck

I was thinking of trying to start to eat less carbs each day but i really don't know what to substitute them for.

i normally have carbs in every meal wether its brown bread for my sandwiches, in my cereal for breakfast and in my evening meal i either have jacket potatoes or any other kind of potatoes or pasta with every meal.
I couldn't even imagine what i could substitute these foods for which would have around the same amount of calories as i don't really want to eat less calories than i am now.

Could someone help me understand what i should be eating instead of these foods without dropping anymore calories?

thank you.

I substitute with more protein and fat, generally. So if I was having a chicken breast in tomato sauce with rice or pasta before, now I might have 2 chicken breasts with a creamy mushroom sauce served on a bed of shredded cabbage. Your appetite declines as you eat less carbs, and if you eat less than 40-50g, you end up in ketosis, which suppresses your appetite further. So you need less anyway. After the first week, I found it remarkably easy.

A good book to read, other than the classic Atkins book, is Dr John Briffa - Escape the Diet Trap.

Good luck!

More veg instead of potatoes.
Salad box instead of sandwiches for lunch, e.g. tuna mayo with cheese on top of mixed salad.
Cauliflower 'rice' instead of proper rice.

People think they will be hungry if they dont have potatoes, rice etc but actually it has the opposite effect. As said above have more meat/chicken too.

Thanks a lot for the help.

It's not that i think i will be more hungry if i don't eat potatoes or pasta etc it's that i didn't want to eat any less calories than i do now and the options that i have read about on different sites seemed to me to be less calories like i read somewhere to swap potatoes for a salad.

Attorney AK said:
Nooooo, you must resist the dark side!!!

Lol - not the darkside from my perspective! Just a good way to get some yummy flavour and fat added:)

Try learning how to cook new vegetables that you've never cooked with before. This might only work if you're interested in cooking, but I've found that the challenge keeps me interested and the new veggies gives me a variety I lose when I cut out carbs.

Back