Fireworks

Lynn_

On A Mission!
Its that time of the year again, and its torture for nervous pets.

My 2 girls cats are not bothered by them fortunately but my boy cat Fats is a nervous wreck. So why, when fireworks go off, does he have to go hide OUTSIDE? Where the nasy fireworks are? He could run upstairs and hide under the bed or in a cupboard, but no, a bush outside in the cold is apparently the best place to be.

Lol, they sure are baffling creatures.

My girls will kind of jump a bit if it's a loud bang and perk up their ears but then they settle down again. I'm actually going to be away this weekend and my friend is popping in for the afternoon to feed them, but in the night they'll be alone so I will leave 2 radios on for them and put extra lights on the timer switches for them.

My indoor boy cat ran outside yesterday as I was seeing someone out and just as someone let off one of the very loud fireworks...he shot in so fast I swear he left skin on the ground and when I turned round to look at him his eyes were so big and round I thought they would pop out of his head! Hoping that cures his curiosity for a bit. My outdoor cats don't seem to bothered too much, its me that panics for them.

Neither of my cats seem to be botherd by them, infact one likes to sit by the kitchen window and watch them, but the dog I had for years up until last year (RIP) hated them and he'd hide under the dinning room table when they went off.

my cats dont seem to bothered by them, they perk up their ears but no hiding,although the fireworks havent started going mad yet.

our old family dog(he did last year :(:() he was terrified of them,he would shake and tremble with fear,and pant like mad.. i miss him :(

im dead against fireworks,i think they should be banned and only to be sold for public displays by which you need some kind of license for..so many animals are hurt on purpose and there are so many yobs that use fireworks to hurt people.. its mad!

im dead against fireworks,i think they should be banned and only to be sold for public displays by which you need some kind of license for..so many animals are hurt on purpose and there are so many yobs that use fireworks to hurt people.. its mad!

Glad someone else feels this way, I have been saying this for years, by dated license only and then you have to take a course and prove that the land you are using is far enough away from buildings etc.

Our indoor cats don't seem bothered at all by fireworks or thunder. Stella our beagle pup dislikes them if she is outdoors but is fine inside.
We used to have two English springer spaniels (RIP) who hated fireworks, to them it sounded like a gun and they would bark and bark to get out and go chase. When the little one died the big one didn't bark any more, he was hard of hearing and had one last peaceful Guy Fawkes night before he passed too.
I've read somewhere before that animals born around Nov. 5th are better at dealing with the bangs, must be because they are introduced very early.

Glad someone else feels this way, I have been saying this for years, by dated license only and then you have to take a course and prove that the land you are using is far enough away from buildings etc.

I too have been saying this for years. :)

this time of year everyone starts moaning about fireworks going off,firework safety and looking after your pets.yobs posting fireworks through peoples doors... i just dont know why they dont put a stop to it once and for all!

if people want to stand in the freezing cold and watch things in wazz up in the sky,there choice but make them go to a proper display.its not as if people are interested to celebrate the event for what its meant to be about.

i used to love making my guy when i was little,an old potatoe sack and straw,none of that now!..its all rubbish!
(heck,i sound like my mother,im only 30)

(heck,i sound like my mother,im only 30)

I've been saying it since I was a teen and there was a story in the paper where total walkers ( L=N in this case) had tied a firework to a cats tail. And there was a case of some strapping a hamster to one a few years ago.

I don't want to be a killjoy (well may be I do because I have never seen the facination lol) but most peoples gardens are simply not big enough. I looked a few years ago and the most popular selling package in Birmingham required a 75ft distance. My garden would be fine but none of my friends round here have anywhere near that length and todays modern builds generally have postage stamp gardens of around 30ft...heck I wouldnt even let more than a handful of people with sparklers in that size.

One thing that really gets me is how the hell do they afford them, youths are setting them off nightly round here, 25-30 at a time. I know theyre not working theyre too busy breaking and entering, smashing peoples cars and windows to be working so I just don't get where they are getting the money from...perhaps that is something the police need to look into with the twits round here. But then the police round here just don't seem to give 2 hoots. Too much paperwork for what will only be a slapped wrist (actual words out of an officers mouth) Ok I'm in danger of a major rant starting...deep breaths, calm thoughts :sigh:

I've been saying it since I was a teen and there was a story in the paper where total walkers ( L=N in this case) had tied a firework to a cats tail. And there was a case of some strapping a hamster to one a few years ago.

I don't want to be a killjoy (well may be I do because I have never seen the facination lol) but most peoples gardens are simply not big enough. I looked a few years ago and the most popular selling package in Birmingham required a 75ft distance. My garden would be fine but none of my friends round here have anywhere near that length and todays modern builds generally have postage stamp gardens of around 30ft...heck I wouldnt even let more than a handful of people with sparklers in that size.

One thing that really gets me is how the hell do they afford them, youths are setting them off nightly round here, 25-30 at a time. I know theyre not working theyre too busy breaking and entering, smashing peoples cars and windows to be working so I just don't get where they are getting the money from...perhaps that is something the police need to look into with the twits round here. But then the police round here just don't seem to give 2 hoots. Too much paperwork for what will only be a slapped wrist (actual words out of an officers mouth) Ok I'm in danger of a major rant starting...deep breaths, calm thoughts :sigh:

im in the midlands...i heard that story about the ats tail and the firework :mad: unless it was another account of idiots with fireworks!!

my back garden is just over 110ft long, and the only firework we've ever had it a sparkler and that was a couple of years, we only had those as they were free!

i cant see the fascination with it either, i remember going to a few displays when i was little,maybe 10 or so....the best part of the evening was having a jacket spud then going home :)

gawd knows where the money comes from...well i can only imagine...and its not good!!

I agree with this too. When I was a teen there was a group of lads who tried to trow a firework at my friend and I whilst going the shop luckily it missed us. Also another friend of mine told me that his sister's cat got injured one year through being outside at the same time a bunch of chavs who where letting off fireworks (this was during the day oddly enough, there seems to be a few people in my area who let them off during daylight hours, which I've never got).

there seems to be a few people in my area who let them off during daylight hours, which I've never got).

They do it here too...and you can tell from the noise that theyre glittery fizzers not just big bangs, got to wonder about their mentality in that case!

what annoys me to is,the kids arent being taught the true meaning of fireworks....everything isnt just about blowing things up!

no respect these days!!

Back