Fizzy drinks like Coke ....can we ?

magickmel

Loves VLCD's !
Hi LL'ers
I just noticed over on the CD thread that there is talk of some fizzy pops like Coke zero being allowed coz it doesn't bring you out of ketosis.

Do any LL'ers drink fizzy pops without coming out of ketosis ? if so which ones are safe ?

This would be a nice addition to the diet :cool:

Noooooooo...you can't have fizzy pop. I dont think it's about being in ketosis or not, as most dont contain citric acid or sweetners that have an impact on blood sugar - but its AGAINST THE RULES and this is an all or nothing diet my dear. Follow it wholeheartedly. If you feel empty or lacking like there is a void to fill, that's the whole point of sole source...to work out and deal with why you feel that way! And trust me, if you were having these things, it would be that much harder to get your 4 litres of water down. Sorry if I sound like Mother Hen!

Hi Melissa,well there are many peeps on here who although on Ssing with any of the diets do drink Zero cal fizzy drinks but the drinks usually dont nhave Citric acid in them.Citric acid does kick some peeps out of ketosis but on the other hand some peeps drink diet coke regular and have no probs.

It is really an individual choice and it Citric acid affects peeps in different way.
Most people just have a small amount and have this as a treat but still have their 4 ltrs of water.

There are a few fizzy frinks in the Fanta Z range that dont have citric acid in them.

Melissa hun its totally up 2 u if u want to try them,u r not doing anything wrong or deviating big time from the diet in my personal view alot maybe if u def want to try them then try the fanta z range as the others might give u probs.

I know that it says u r not meant to have any other drinks other than what LL sell or water but it is your personal choice and if u feel a smalll amount of fizzy drink will help with your Ssing and not cause u 2 have any probs then why not.
I am sure other expecienced vlcd peeps will soon be along take care and chat soon xx

I have to say I am with Roch on this one. I haven't had any fizzy drink (although I did have a SIP of coke zero at the weekend) mainly because I am suffering so much from wind anyway ....

Really though if you struggle getting the water down you then in my view why "waste" a drink? I do have one black coffee a day though and enjoy it.

I have a bit of a different view because whilst my journey has been far from easy (I took the scenic route) and I haven't had the best loss ever (just short of four stone in just short of four months), I think that if a can of coke zero will get you through without nibbling and it doesn't knock you out of ketosis, I can't see the harm.

I know a few people who drink it when they are making dinner for the rest of the family for example.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Its true, its down to personal choice and it probably wont do you any harm. I do think the LL drinks are a rip-off (the water flavouring) and they have calories...more than a diet coke has if I have calculated it correctly.

Melissa,

Just don`t do it, once you`cheat` once you do it once you may `licence` yourself to do it again. It`s best to try to stick to it 100% if you can.

Melissa hun like i said b4 this is your choice and pls dont feel like u r cheating or not doing the diet right if u decide 2 have a zero cal drink.

Others may choose to follow the diet to the lettter and only have LL products and that is their choice but u r not cheating or doing anything wrong if now and again u decide to have a zero cal citric free drink.

I totally understand that peeps on here all have their own views and thats ok and the reason u posted this was 2 get some advice but i just dont want u to feel like u r cheating if you decide to have a fizzy drink as this diet is hard enough without feeling like u r doing something wrong.

Hi everyone, I have no intention of going off the LL plan. Firstly I am delighted with a 2 stone loss in 5 weeks and secondly I can't afford to mess about at £66 per week !

However I am fed up with refusing invitations to go out and my LLC told me not to exclude myself from social occassions and to try do life as normal as poss.

I was recently charged over £2 for a glass of water in a pub ! :eek: I thought if a diet drink was allowed then this would be far nicer and cheaper. I am not going to pop-guzzle as a rebellious child but maybe make an adult decision to do it once in a while. (Roch - you are so right :) )

As has been posted here LL water flavourings are expensive and make me ill and if diet pops are actually less calories than the flavouring then I am sure it will be okay to do once in a while. I was worried about the citric acid thing as my LLC said that may bring someone out of ketosis. So yes I just posted for advice and I will keep on the straight and narrow. Week 6 weigh in tomorrow night, watch this space :D

thanks everyone
Melissa

Its true, its down to personal choice and it probably wont do you any harm. I do think the LL drinks are a rip-off (the water flavouring) and they have calories...more than a diet coke has if I have calculated it correctly.

But, it's not about the calorie content. The official line is no fizzy pop. Having said that I have a skinny latte every day and stay in the pink and it doesn't trigger any cravings........each to their own:D

I was recently charged over £2 for a glass of water in a pub ! :eek: I thought if a diet drink was allowed then this would be far nicer and cheaper. I am not going to pop-guzzle as a rebellious child but maybe make an adult decision to do it once in a while. (Roch - you are so right :) )

Having completed 100 days of LL and forking out extortinate prices for water I then learnt that soda water is free in pubs and I'm hard pushed to taste the difference between that and posh mineral water especially with a bit of water flavouring added. Incidentally the CD water flavour is cheaper and more concentrated and fine to have on LL. (It doesn't however contain 'inulin' which can help keep you regular)

But, it's not about the calorie content. The official line is no fizzy pop. Having said that I have a skinny latte every day and stay in the pink and it doesn't trigger any cravings........each to their own:D

I know babe...that's what I was saying in my previous post, if she is feeling some kind of emptiness from not being able to have it then that's what she has to tackle. But it doesn't sound like that's the problem...she's looking for a solution to the social engagements, and I have to say you would probably get less questions about having a diet coke in your hand than a fizzy water.

I personally have not gone down that road and have not tried to "get away" with anything, however I have to admit that if there's something you are going to try and get away with this is probably one of the least dangerous.

If its an adult decision to do it occasionally for the reasons you state, I can't see that sabotaging you in the long run, to be honest...its against the rules but its not the end of the world!

I'm all for anything that helps you get through and I was looking at diet fizzy drinks the other day but couldn't find any that didn't have citric acid - so thanks Roch for the tip that Fanta Z range don't - I'll take a look.

I'm on day 23 and last night about 8pm I'd had all my sachets I started to feel nauseous and empty and totally energyless, so I decided to have my first bit of food - it was only a bowl of lettuce and cucumber both of which are extremely low in carbs and shouldn't kick me out of ketosis. I thought I'd feel disappointed with myself but I don't at all. It was an adult decision, that I felt I needed it and I felt hugely better aftwards - where's the damage in that? - Might not be following it to the protocol but I believe that the strictness of this diet is purely to stop people wandering off the path to 'naughty' foods, which would happen if they didn't enforce abstinence. If you can find slight adaptions that still keep you in ketosis and still keep your losses high, then great!

It was an adult decision, that I felt I needed it and I felt hugely better aftwards - where's the damage in that?

To me you have just hit the nail on the head!! It is about making adult decisions in our lives moving forward, this is such a key lesson to be learned!

I have eaten several times throughout my journey when the decision to eat and what to eat has been taken in adult mode but have found the nibbling (taken usually in rebellious child mode) the most damaging both mentally and physically.

For me this hasn't been about following the abstention to the letter (to me this is acting in adaptive child mode) but to making adult decisions surrounding food and will hopefully be less damaging in the long term.

One thing I am completely in agreement with is that it slows down the loss and for that reason alone it is best not to eat.

Maybe I am kidding myself, time will tell ...

I spent all of my foundation stage in adaptive child mode being controlled by the conrolling parent. I embraced that state because it got me to where I wanted to be. For me the foundation stage was easy to follow because the rules were so strict which is why it suited me. :)

Apart from the science bit of the diet there is the emotional side too. LL gives you the opportunity to have a complete break from conventional food and drink and re-evaluate your whole relationship with it. It gives you the chance to retrain your taste buds too. Some people may find having something conventional a bit of a pull towards complimentary foods for example 'I'll just have a diet coke' could lead to 'I'll stick a vodka in that, one won't hurt'. :(

It is up to the individual to make an adult choice about what is right for them. For me, compromising my diet isn't about cost or about what others think seeing me with a glass of water, it is all about me and what is best for me. Only one person will know what is right for you and that's you. Personally I was scared of getting away with compromising my diet because it would have been the start of a slippery slope down towards something I couldn't have got away with.

In short, think about why you want to do something and then examine what your motives are for it. If there is nothing sinister in there then consider if you can cope with moving off the path and if you can then why not :) I couldn't risk it so I didn't at that stage so I didn't just for the sake of a coke.

Back