Fluid question

suepass

I am confused. Please could someone tell me how much fluid we are supposed to be drinking per day.
I am hearing anything from2L to 4L plus the water in the food packs.
I have been having about 2L in total, but now I don't think I am having enough.
2nd question is if we are supposed to be having all this fluid why??
and how does it help us lose weight.
I await your expertise. thanks

Last edited:
it used to be 4L a day
now its 2.5 approx - or drink to thirst (a 20 stone man is going to need more than a 12 stone woman)

a woman died after drinking 4L in a short space of time so the guidelines changed - although it was always meant to be little and often throughout the day, not all at once

i used have about 2.5 plus the water in my shakes/soups

on packs we don't get the water from food that we would be normally getting- fruit and veg have high percentages so you need to drink plenty to make up for it

there is a reason it speeds up loss, but i can't remember it!
daisy x

Listen to your body hun. :)
In Abstinence people can choose to drink up to 4-5 litres per day because when eating food; we get a lot of moisture from the food content... Sachets and shakes don't provide enough, so it's crucial to drink quite a lot!
In Lite - you don't have to drink AS MUCH (due to a meal in the day), I'd say 3-4 litres (coffee/tea inclusive), however don't force yourself. If you're not thirsty, then don't over do it. Personally I had a fairly low water in-take because I didn't want to force myself, and it didn't affect my losses in any way, whether I drank all 4 litres or only 1 per day. In fact it only made me retain it more and feel absolutely bloated.

So, play it by how your body feels!
x

It is not just about weight loss - you need the water for hydration, to keep things, erm, regular.... ;)

If you do not have enough water, and are only getting a tiny bit through packs and food - whatever is passing through you can turn essentially to concrete, and getting that backed up, sorry to be blunt is very miserable.

Drink to thirst - be sure to get a minimum of 2-3 litres a day I would say.

Thanks all.
I have just been researching it and found out something interesting. So here goes - - - -
The liver breaks down fat stores but also acts as a back up for the kidneys, so if you don't drink enough the liver is doing two jobs and does not break down the fat as efficiently as it should. Makes far more sense to me now so will increase my intake to about 3L including my food packs.

I started abstinence when it was 4 litres gradually throughout the day.
Then it was reduced, but when I lowered my intake my weight loss slowed. I went back to 4litres and that suited me fine, weight loss increased again and it helped in the toilet department too.
Good luck xx

Thanks all.
I have just been researching it and found out something interesting. So here goes - - - -
The liver breaks down fat stores but also acts as a back up for the kidneys, so if you don't drink enough the liver is doing two jobs and does not break down the fat as efficiently as it should. Makes far more sense to me now so will increase my intake to about 3L including my food packs.

Mmyes, but there's also the other side, the effect on your kidneys if you have too much! :p They have to work extra hard to keep up with it all, so, 3 litres with your foodpacks, tea and coffee inclusive will be a good amount to go on. :)

But don't forget the little and often rule. Glug loads all at once and you could be putting yourself under pressure.

And buy shares in Andrex.

Lol re the shares in Andrex!! I used to average about 4l a day including my packs and coffees, although I reduced the amount of coffee I drank initially and stuck mostly with water. It really made such a difference to my skin and how I felt. I just kept a 500ml bottle with me at all times and topped up that, after 4 you know you have had 2l. I piddled for Africa initially but it does settle down eventually. I still feel better on the days I have more water rather than less. My skin thanks me for it too.

Jez
xx

I drink 3litres not inclusive of foodpacks and tea, but my ketostix is bordering purple! so i apparently need more..so 4litres it is lol but my weight loss is super slow, I am 3lbs behind target

Don't rely 100% on Ketostix! Some people's body chemistry doesn't work very well with those, and technically speaking, if you're losing weight, then you are definitely in Ketosis. Most people only get more stressed and neurotic over those sticks - it's just as bad as weighing yourself every day!

:)

Back