Food Flavourings?

I realise that but thought it worth the risk. I'll let you know when they arrive. I'm quietly confident, it's usually the more expensive flavourings that are in oil or alcohol, these are less expensive than Sainsbury's and more exciting.

Amazon has the ingredients listed - the banana one contains
Ingredients: Proylene Glycol,approved flavourings, water and colours E102,E110

Would this be ok? I quite fancy the coconut one!

Well, I've now committed to buying the same flavourings over on ebay at twice the cost - but they weren't selling the condensed milk one, and I bet that would have been nice in the gallettes. Because you are ever only using tiny quantities ( mine all either alcohol or oil based), the knock on from these flavourings would be negligible. Its not as if I am downing a bottle of vanilla extract a day. Now as for my Gin consumption, that would be telling!

tessa

Last edited:
Propylene glycol is an alcohol which we're not strictly allowed. But seriously, in the minuscule amounts that flavourings are usually used u cannot see the harm, I'm gonna give them a go. As Tessa said it's not like we're downing bottles of the stuff.
Now, about your Gin consumption Tessa...?

Da Vinci sugar free syrups?

I have a few of these from a long passed Atkins phase and wonder if they are OK?
all state per serving (1tbsp) 0 calories, carbs, sugars, fat, protein. just 4 or 5mg Sodium.

Caramel ingredients: Water, Flavours, thickener (E466), Sweetener (sucralose), Preservative (E211) Acidity regulator (E330) colour (E150d).

Vanilla ingredients: same as caramel

Chocolate ingredients: Water, Natural and Artificial Flavours, Colour: Caramel. Sweetener: Aspartame, Thickener: Cellulose gum, Preservative: Sodium Benzoate, Citric Acid

Amaretto ingredients: Water, Natural and Artificial Flavours, Cellulose gum, Sucralose, Sodium Benzoate, Caramel colour.

Don't they all sound appetizing? They taste better than the ingredients I promise although I've just seen (and am studiously ignoring) the best before dates;)

Welcome to Sugar Free Megastore | Sugar Free Megastore

I bought some flavourings from here and they are all 0 rated for sugar and carbs. They taste good - and are in a massive wine sized bottle - each serving is 2tbsp - lovely in coffee - a hazelnut latte hits the spot - and the chocolate one is delish too - have yet to use the gingerbread one but am just about to try it in a gallette so will keep you posted.

Josephs Thick Maple Syrup

Sorry found another item in the cupboard: Josephs Maple syrup

Per 100g: Calories 58 , Calories from fat 0 ,Total Fat 0 , Sat Fat 0 , Cholesterol 0 , Sodium 50 , Total Carbohydrate 15.0 , Fibre 0 , Sugars 0 , Polyols 15 , Protein 0

ingredients: water, maltitol, all natural maple flavour

Does this count as OK or not? I'm thoroughly confused with sweeteners!

Welcome to Sugar Free Megastore | Sugar Free Megastore

I bought some flavourings from here and they are all 0 rated for sugar and carbs. They taste good - and are in a massive wine sized bottle - each serving is 2tbsp - lovely in coffee - a hazelnut latte hits the spot - and the chocolate one is delish too - have yet to use the gingerbread one but am just about to try it in a gallette so will keep you posted.

That's where mine all came from (along with some other things I haven't worked out where to ask about). Is a fab place for low carb but a bit more dangerous for this!

I've searched the forum and found a few old questions about whether these syrups are OK but can't find an answer, which is why I asked. As I don't seem to be losing much I'm trying to sort out what could be the cause.

Sweeteners are fine. Some sweeteners that you find to sprinkle or those for your tea etc mostly contain asparatame. The sweeteners in gum and sweets contain a polyol sweetener. Without boring you too much, these are the sweeteners that aren't absorbed by the body and cause flatulence or, in extreme cases when too much has been consumed, diarrhoea. A sweetener with '-ol' at the end indicates a polyol. The rest of the sweeteners shouldn't cause any problems.
Your flavourings sound like they all contain ok
Ingredients.
Where on earth did u get maple syrup flavouring from? It sounds gorgeous!!!!!!

Sweeteners are fine. Some sweeteners that you find to sprinkle or those for your tea etc mostly contain asparatame. The sweeteners in gum and sweets contain a polyol sweetener. Without boring you too much, these are the sweeteners that aren't absorbed by the body and cause flatulence or, in extreme cases when too much has been consumed, diarrhoea. A sweetener with '-ol' at the end indicates a polyol. The rest of the sweeteners shouldn't cause any problems.
Your flavourings sound like they all contain ok
Ingredients.
Where on earth did u get maple syrup flavouring from? It sounds gorgeous!!!!!!

Lowcarb megastore. Its absoluely fabulous, and very dangerous! I'm not sure if I can start a thread yet but will post all the wierd and wonderful sweeteners I have bought and used on low-carb and see what people think if/when I can.

Can any of the more experienced Dukaners advise on the Whittard syrups? The fact they're called syrups concerns me a little and I can't find any nutritional information.

I might pop in later and see if it'a on the bottle.

Can any of the more experienced Dukaners advise on the Whittard syrups? The fact they're called syrups concerns me a little and I can't find any nutritional information.

I might pop in later and see if it'a on the bottle.

I have just found a Ciao review on the Gingerbread Coffee Syrup.

Whittard Of Chelsea Coffee Syrup - Review - Spice up your coffee

Ingredients: Sugar, Water, Natural Spices Extracts, Flavouring, Acidifying Agent: Citric Acid, Preservative Agent: E202.

product-8310344.jpg

Just rang my nearest Whittards and they don't have the box sets in, seems they sell out quite quickly.

They do have a special offer on at the minute which is 3 bottles for the price of 2 ie 3 250ml bottles for £9.

She did say that she has heard that people use them to flavour cakes etc but didn't know in what quantity.

;)

Are these zero carb ones in huge bottles the Da Vinci syrups? I remember a lot of people using those when I was on Atkins and they come in a bewildering array of flavours.

I think Da Vinci have a website (or at least they used to)

I used the da Vinci sugar free syrups on and off Atkins as and OH love adding yummy flavours to coffee

Last edited:
Back