Food Focus

Rachel L

I was reading though the other threads and saw food focus mentioned. I have tried it today and am getting on well. It's really good to log absolutely everything i eat and see it all laid out in front of me.

My question is, for those who have/are using it, how accurate are the calorie counts. I put in a small glass of red wine and it came up as only 80 calories. I had imagined it would be more like 120/130. The rest of the values appeared accurate.

I've been using this site for months. If you're given an 'unbranded' calorie count then use it as an estimate. Thats what I do anyway. I drink beer and its on there, and its the same as the beer's website gives? HTH?
PS- I love it!

I agree with IrishMum - wine will vary really so using the unbranded listings will be a general estimate. Where ever you can, I would check the label or website for confirmation. I've been using it too! :eek:

agree its a great site - have been using for about 3 weeks - I find the notes section useful to jot down anything unusual that happened e.g. triggers for a bad day.

I have found the site to be very user friendly.The calories must be somewhere about right been using it for 3 months ish and all is going well .
Would recomend it to anyone good guide and free xx

Very nice, thanks for this post. I have been trying to create my own little calculator using microsoft office excel and it's taking ages!

Thanks for this thread! Have been using Food Focus for two days now and I'm finding it really helpful. :D

i am on day two of using this site, and its very useful. i calculated the calories yesterday via the packet, then entered them on this site, and all seemed to be the same... is very easy to use.

i tend to eat the same foods, so added these things yesterday and saved the details.

deff recommend, and is FREE

Hi all.

I am also using Food Focus. Am not sure whether to go with the calories quoted if different from the packet...maybe I should go with the highest and hope for the best!

I have a question about the amount of calories to be eaten. It always states 'Food calorie target (after exercise)'. However, if not exercising at the moment, how do I find out what calories I should be eating? :confused:

Nat

If your profile is set at sedentary then the calories calculated for you will be without 'extra' exercise accounted for. If you added any exercise in the 'Exercise Log' then your daily calorie allowance will increase. HTH?
Also, I'm not sure how up to date their nutritional info is so if its on the packet then I go by that. These days manufacturers know we're more nutritionally-savvy and are trying to get their foods as 'healthy' as possible, so I guess even if FF is a little out, it'll be on the high side so you'll still be fine?

Capirossi my advice would be to go with the cals on the packet. Be careful though I got catch out last week by some potatoes the bag said 134cals per 170g and when I used the WW scales they ended up being like 300g lol so if you're not sure try and weigh things like that to be extra sure you're not over eating or under eating.

HTH

Thanks ladies! I changed my profile to sedentary and my calories after exercising are showing as 636 per day!! I don't know what has gone wrong there! My start weight is correct, height, goal weight, number of lbs to lose per week etc.....I'm very confused now! I am just aiming for about 1100 at the mo as I have no idea what I should be eating!

Thanks again for your help:D

:confused:Hmm.. The only thing I can figure is theres a blip somewhere. Try logging out and back in, or refreshing the page and it might show a more 'normal' figure? Its not a good idea to go under 1100-1200 a day, as that is what your body needs to function. This is my only bugbear with FF, they're one of the only sites that show figures under the recommended 1200 cals a day. This will allow you to lose weight, but at a cost to yourself- i.e. your body won't be able to function properly so will start to 'eat' itself to get the nutrients it needs. :(Ultimately the loss will slow down/stop, and you may be tempted to lower your cal intake even more, which will only make the situation worse? If FF doesn't 'right' itself & you've entered all the figures right, then I'd stick with your plan of 1100 (I'd even up it a little to 1200 to be honest?) and use FF log as a guide, ignoring their 'recommendation'?

Doh!

Thanks Irishmum. I tried registering again, and it then told me that the rate of weight loss I chose resulted in a very low net calorie range. I only asked to lose a stone at 2lb a week, that's not too much to ask for is it?!!! haha!

Anyway, changed my original profile to 1lb a week and it now shows 1137 calories. Phew!:rolleyes:

My net calorie goal according to them is 1111, but I've added in a bit for caring for my two toddlers & a bit of housework and it brings it up to around 1300 or so, more if I do more housework? I'll se how I get on on that. If I don't start losing again, I'm not going to drop my cals this time, I'm just going to get off my ass and do extra things! LOL!

Lol, I know what you mean. I used to be very active, gym most days for at least an hour, but then I stopped....and I'm still stopped!! I wish I could find the motivation, as I know it's the key to losing weight. However, I did start an exercise dvd last night, Dynaband (an old one I had with the rubber band!). I did a 10 minute warm up and a 10 minute session, I was worn out after it!!! But, I think I am determined to give it a go, see how long I can stick at it.

Good luck with your 1300. I am doing around 1100 although hubby keeps spoiling it by cooking curries! They are so difficult to work out, but I just go with chicken breast, tinned toms, onions and garlic, I am not counting the spices and other random ingrediants (argh!). Weigh in Monday morning. Is there a weigh in thread on here anywhere? I shall go and investigate...;)

Back