Food for kids with toothache

donna88

Gold Member
My little boy is 3 (4 in July)

He started getting really upset when eating on Monday, I got him in at the dentist on Tuesday and apparently he need a filling! To be honest I'm pretty horrified as he doesn't eat as many sweets and sugary things as other kids (yeah he enjoys chocolate and biscuits, don't they all lol) but not to the extend I've known other children to have them. Plus I always make sure he brushes his teeth properly and I also go over them.

My boyfriend thinks it may be because he always eats on one side of his mouth (the side which needs the filling)

The filling was originally booked for the 5th of July, but I rang up today as he can't eat at times and waiting until July would be ridiculous, luckily there was a cancellation next Thursday. Which is great, however I'm worried he won't be eating much until then.

This morning he had a nutragrain bar (which he normally has) but he couldn't eat it today, he cried when he had his snack at school (fruit, toast and a biscuit) and he didn't eat his lunch, pasta salad from morrisons, I've just given him two squeezable yoghurt's, but he can't live on them for a week!

Sometimes its worse then others, like yesterday he ate his breakfast, biscuits and a wrap for dinner, but he struggled with his tea again. Have you got any suggestions for food he could eat which won't hurt his tooth too much before he has his filling?

Aww, poor thing! Soup maybe?

Soft food, maybe the middle of the bread, no crusts? Jelly. Maybe ice cream if he can stand cold stuff on it.

Scrambled Egg, homemade soup, pasta with a whizzed up sauce?

Just to answer the sugar thing though (these are taken from similar products not necessarily ones you give him)
Nutrigrain has 31g of sugar per 100g 12g per bar
Frubes have 14.6g sugar per 100g that's 5.8g per tube
Italian Pasta Salad 4.2g per 100g, 9.8g per serving
Digestive biscuit 2.5g per biscuit.

Add to that the sugar in ketchup, crisps, tinned food and it all adds up. I'm not having a go by the way, I was completely ignorant of all this till recently.

Thanks, I'll have to see, at the moment he isn't eating anything. Not even trying it :( I think he's too scared to in case it hurts.

Don't worry Shirleen, I understand your not having a go... I suppose there is a lot of hidden sugar in food, but at the same time, its hard not to give kids that stuff. He won't eat cereal and doesn't like hard cereal bars, so unless I have time to do him a cooked breakfast (in which case he has the same as me) I can only get him to eat a nutragrain bar and a banana or some grapes. The salad to be fair he only has once a week when we go shopping to Morrisons, its his little treat, he usually eats the same as us for lunch and dinner unless we're having something too spicy for him.

Thanks again for all the idea's, he love scrambled egg, think I'll try him on that tomorrow and soup as well (as long as its green...lol not that he's fussy :p)

he's looking very sorry for himself at the moment just layed on the sofa watching come dine with me :( this is the worse he's been, (just asked to go to bed) I really hope he's not going to be like this until Thursday... it seems like forever away while he's this poorly

If he's not eating anything how about making a banana smoothie with yogurt & milk, at least then he's getting some calcuim & it will be a little bit filling, but he'll be able to drink it.

That's a great idea :) thank you. Will ask him see what he fancies in the morning, but I think he will go for that as won't be worrying about his tooth

Back