Food intolerance

I'm so glad to hear of someone else with the same problem (not that that's much use to u lol) the boosting is unreal... My husband calls it the evergrowing alien inside me... All the doctors will say is just cud didn't ur food intake, cut out White bread, they have no interest.

This morning I had 28g crunchy nut cornflakes, after that I had to sit down, I hadn't the energy for anything, I had to sleep it off for 15 min then I was grand. Can u imagine taking me out for dinner lol.

I hope you get the answers from York tests, I looked it up and sounds the answer. Please let us know how u get on, I would consider doing it myself xx

I would definately go back to your doctor and ask for some tests to be done, if only to put your mind at rest xx Boo xx

Great replies and some truly awful experiences. I'm awaiting the preliminary test back from York and depending on that I'll consider my next step.

One other thing is that I started the Harcombe diet yesterday. Have gone cold turkey on wheat, milk, sweeteners, sugar and caffeine and already I feel better (and lost a pound from yesterday!!!!!!). I'm not leaving SW as I intend to go back to it by choosing the Healthy Extras to suit the diet! Will be interesting to see what happens.

Thank you so much for your replies!

azlan said:
Hope the york test will help and at least if the preliminary test is negative, you'll know it ain't food that's causing the problem (I have met someone whose test was neg so at least ya know it's not positive for everyone) and not wasted your money on the full test. When you get the results of the full test, you have to completely eliminate the foods for 3 months and then try slowly reintroducing them and only eat the food every few days if you can manage to reintroduce them. You are also advised to take some supplements to heal your gut and they are very important to take.

I wish you all the best and if there's anything you want to ask just let me know.

Thanks Aslan,

Well, got the result back from York test today and it was positive. Will be interesting to see what has shown up. It is expensive but I really believe that whatever food I've been eating has caused these problems.

BTW, have had no issues for the past 2 days with the Harcombe diet....and was a pound down in WI tonight which is great!!!

woohoo Jax - great weight loss so soon and that prob also confirms tis intol related. The Harcombe diet looks interesting - keep us posted how you get on with it

just read this thread - very interesting. JaxieD, sounds like I have been suffering the same as you. finally went to the doctors last week as it seemed to be getting worse/more frequent. I'm going back for blood tests next week but in the mean time the doctor has put me on mebeverine, which I have to take three times a day, half an hour before eating. I though it was working but the past few days my pain/bloating has come back. I'm due to go back in a few weeks for a review of the medication and results of the blood tests so hoping some clarity will come out of it.

Hi Ellie!:D How interesting re the Mebeverine! Last year on my other failed attempt on SW my symptoms were so severe i took myself off to the doc. I mean i was eating the most healthy food, all home made, fresh fruit and veg as close to nature as possible :). Watching my portions sizes and all but yet was feeling absolutley horrendous:( and not losing any weight at all! She put me on Mebeverine which did help for a couple of days but as with you it didn't last and the symptoms came back with a vengeance so i stopped taking them as they clearly were not doing any good. So i've been flailing around since then knowing that there was something not right going on. It really affects your peace of mind.....No one believed me that i was sticking to SW and would just tell me that i was doing it wrong, which i knew i wasn't. Awful. I hope you blood tests give you some clarity but i take it they're not tests for food intolerances? It seems to be a subject not much recognised in medical circles in my personal experience!!

woohoo Jax - great weight loss so soon and that prob also confirms tis intol related. The Harcombe diet looks interesting - keep us posted how you get on with it

Hi Azlan,

well after my girlie night away in a Spa hotel last night i feel totally horrendous!:rolleyes: All of my own making of course. It was like the last supper eating all the goodies that i suspect have made me unwell and boy! am i paying for it now. :cry:

I had been starting to feel really good the past few days following the Harcombe diet. No bloating, jeans fitting nicely but now i'm back to square one.... but i'm back on track today. I've been on the toilet all day, stomach is churning, have wind that could be used in chemical warfare:eek: and generally feel dreadful. Roll on tomorrow.

I expect to receive my results from York within the week and i await with nervous trepidation to see what i am gonna have to give up :cry: But after having a glimpse over the past couple of days of how good i can feel, i think it will be well worth it. My main suspect is wheat but i do think there are others (onions and apples amongst them) I shall let you know

Hi Jax,

I suspected wheat too but it turned out to be yeast that I was reacting to (much harder to avoid). Also, a word of warning - once you've eliminated the foods that show up in the test for a while it seems your body 'forgets' how it coped with the irritant - and reacts with a vengeance ..... as I found to my cost :(:eek:

And if you think you're good for chemical warfare now............ :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Hi Jax,

I suspected wheat too but it turned out to be yeast that I was reacting to (much harder to avoid). Also, a word of warning - once you've eliminated the foods that show up in the test for a while it seems your body 'forgets' how it coped with the irritant - and reacts with a vengeance ..... as I found to my cost :(:eek:

And if you think you're good for chemical warfare now............ :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Oh dear, may forewarn the hubby and kids!!

The tests I got done have shown that i have a dairy intolerance (eggs and milk). Am a bit shocked as I had convinced myself it was wheat!!! But it does make sense as I eat eggs everyday and love my milky coffees :-(

Is anyone in the same boat? Not sure what the best alternatives are??

Hiya,

I'm the same - can have small amounts now (after elim and supplements). I could have goats yogurts and milk but you can use soya or rice milk (soya separates in instant coffee - tis ok to drink but looks yuk!) you can also get nice soya dessets n yougurts. there is a brand of spread called pure - sunflower or soya which is totally dairyfree. Most other spreads/marge have buttermilk etc in. You need to read labels very carefully as tis amazing how many things have milk protein - look for milk protein or any form of casein in the ingredients.

Please please go to your doctor and get a second test to confirm the diagnosis. As I've stated before, there is no clinical or immunological evidence that they are accurate. You really shouldn't suddenly cut an entire food group like that unless it is absolutely necessary, and you have medical support. The doctor might tell you to go for it, but if they do they should provide you with support, and medical-grade supplements if necessary, to do so.
I know how it feels where you're so desperate, you'll try absolutely anything, but trying anything isn't very sensible. I've done it and I made myself more sick. The exact same test provider told me I was dairy intolerant when I wasn't.

Please please go to your doctor and get a second test to confirm the diagnosis. As I've stated before, there is no clinical or immunological evidence that they are accurate. You really shouldn't suddenly cut an entire food group like that unless it is absolutely necessary, and you have medical support. The doctor might tell you to go for it, but if they do they should provide you with support, and medical-grade supplements if necessary, to do so.
I know how it feels where you're so desperate, you'll try absolutely anything, but trying anything isn't very sensible. I've done it and I made myself more sick. The exact same test provider told me I was dairy intolerant when I wasn't.

Hiya sockmonkey,

Thanks for your reply. I've been to the docs about this several times over the years and always get the old 'It's IBS' diagnosis and put me no some medication that doesn't work. :mad:
I haven 't had milk now for a week and my symptoms have almost disappeared. No bloating or gas. I really don't think i'm doing any major harm by cutting out milk and eggs for a while as i'm going to replace it with other 'milk' which have added calcium. vegans live without this food group quite successfully, don't they? I have an incredibly healthy diet apart from this and I fully intend to re-introduce both on a rotation system in a few weeks.

If this trial doesn't ease my symptoms for good i shall go back to my doctor. Thank you for your concern :)

Hi Jaxie, I'm intolerant to eggs - it's OK if they're mixed up with other things and well cooked, but something like boiled eggs or an omelette are definite no-nos. I've just learned to live without them, but it would be so nice to just whip up an omelette sometimes. I also can't drink coffee without severe side effects - suffice it to say in one end and straight out the other, with agony in between! I wonder if either of those is affecting you at all? The other thing that my body really cannot tolerate is artificial sweeteners. I've tried them all and they have various effects on me, ranging from severe, blinding headaches and dizziness to vomiting and severe IBS-type symptoms. Do you use sweetners? Again, it's something I just live without now, although I'd love to have a go at some of the dessert recipes I see! Finally, bananas give me bad stomach ache and all I wanted to do after eating one was go to sleep until the pain was gone. So that's another thing I don't eat!

Food intolerances definitely do exist, but as you say, doctors are often reluctant to recognise them. My GP refused to send to me for allergy or intolerance tests and I was also diagnosed with IBS!! Something I found very helpful with pain and bloating was peppermint oil capsules. (I bought mine in Boots.) Don't know if you've tried them at all?

Obviously we're all different, but just a few ideas that sprung to mind! Anyway, just wanted to say you're not alone in this and good luck with getting this sorted.

Trace xx

Thanks Trace,

I'm really gonna miss my eggs and milk for a while but will get used to it, I suppose!! I also use a lot of sweeteners and haven't had any now for a week..... I have to admit that that is even more difficult as I love my sweet tea and coffee and use about 12 sweeteners a day not including the Splenda I usually put in my cereal!!!

I just hope that my taste buds become accustomed to it as food just won't seem as nice without that added sweet kick!! :-(

I've also been drinking peppermint tea by the bucketful although haven't tried the capsules!

I posted way earlier on this thread. I've been to the drs today and she told me I had ibs. Now I see alot of you are cutting out food which are causing you trouble but my dr told me not to do this just take the tablets (buscopan?) she also told me not to be following silly things like sw so obviously she doesn't know much about sw (although she has been in practise for years) so wat I'm asking is to all you ibs sufferes do u continue with foods that cause u discomfort or do u avoid them. Many thanks x

Hi mummyt,
After suffering for years and having had loads of tests only to be told I had a sluggish digestive system and nowt else, I finally had a food toerence test done and completely eliminated the foods that showed up in that for 3 months and all my symptoms disappeared. I had previously thought wheat and eggs were problematic and tried not eating them for a while but that had no effect as it turned out it was other thinga I ate with them!! You could try keeping a food and symptom diary and try to see what foods hurt you.

Do make sure all other possible health conditions has been ruled out first though.

If you do stop eating something make sure that you are getting all your nutritional requirements either through supplements or substituting something similar.

My mum has had ibs for years and is also wheat/gluten intolerant and also intolerant to most dairy and shellfish.

There's a great site called www.goodnessdirect.com who cater for nearly every intolerance there is and my mum has got some fantastic stuff off there.

Hi Jax,

I have IBS and was diagnosed as lactose intolerant a couple of years ago after years of suffering. When I told my doctor I thought it was milk I was having problems with he kind of brushed it off and said it could be lots of different things, but he did agree to do blood tests for me. I was eventually sent to hospital to have a hydrogen breath test and it confirmed lactose intolerance. You should definitely ask your doctor to go for one. It's so nice to have a proper diagnosis.

Back