Food Shopping Bill, How much do you spend?

WWPrincess

Hi everyone,

I was talking to a friend over the weekend about WW, and i mentioned to her that I feed me and OH on about £80 per month hile following WW and she said to me that she can barely feed her and her OH on £80 per week!

Roughly how much does everyone else spend as she called me a skin flint!!

Money is tight in my household and we eat well on £20 per week, but she can't understand how I do it.

I'd love to hear if I am a skin flint!!!

Wow I thought I was doing well feeding my family of 5 (2 adults, 4yr old and 1yr old twins) for about £70/week!

I find WW cheaper to do than SW but it still adds up buying all the fresh fruit and veg. I do try to avoid buying too much WW branded stuff and cook nearly all my meals from scratch but would love to know how you do it so cheaply :D

So what would an average food diary for a day be for you?

I dont see much meat on there which wouldnt go down very well in my house lol

I honestly cant see how that much food would stretch to 3 meals a day for 2 people?

Fairplay to you though, my DH moans about the food bill each month but then moans if I dont cook chicken breasts most nights lol I suppose if we really did have to tighten our belts he would have to get used to it though lol

hi there ive just put my order into tesco and ive spent £100 for the month i may have to stock up on milk marg bread etc through out that time. i also have a small vegetable box delivered fortnightly which is 12.95 and i spend £20.00 at the local butchers for the month

Guys, groceries are soo much cheaper in the uk. Ye are very lucky..that £40 would go into one bag in Ireland. Its madness. In fairness i do find the shopping costs more when i'm on ww, i buy a lot more fruit and veg, yogurts, crispbreads etc that if i wasnt dietin i wouldnt buy. But i would try stay away from ww brand foods, they can be so expensive! Tesco lighter choices are very good i find and reasonable.

I spend about £25 a week to feed me and my son and that includes all the stuff for his school packed lunch :)

i only buy ww meals and tesco lighter choice ones when they are reduced and near there sell by date,,bung into the freezer and have for emergencies as Fendigal said,,Ireland is very expensive fos food shopping but Aldi is fantastic for fruit and veg

I'm really lucky if my shopping bill comes to under £100 a week.

Thats for me, hubby and 4 kids....ouch..... :)

My OH and I have started shopping at the local market - we went on Saturday and got 26 chicken thighs, 10 pork steaks and 2 huge gammon steaks for £30 so that'll see us beyond a month. We then got 2 cauliflowers, 2 broccoli, a bowl of onions, 2 aubergines and 6 avocados for around a fiver then just bought lettuce, cucumber and tomato and 2 low fat salad dressings in Asda which was around a fiver as well.

Found it works much cheaper and farm shops are worth a look too - we paid £8 for 2 pieces of steak - sirloin steak and a piece of ribeye steak and it's so tender and flavoursome. In the supermarket your looking at least £8-10 for a piece of ribeye.

I wouldn't say you're a skinflint - i would say you're thrifty, in a good way!! ;) We spend about £70 per week to feed me, hubby my 2 year old and my 6 week old, but my 6 week old handily lives on booby juice which is free! I'm dreading the day my two are teenagers, two teengae boys must eat you out of house and home!!

So what would an average food diary for a day be for you?

I dont see much meat on there which wouldnt go down very well in my house lol

I honestly cant see how that much food would stretch to 3 meals a day for 2 people?

Fairplay to you though, my DH moans about the food bill each month but then moans if I dont cook chicken breasts most nights lol I suppose if we really did have to tighten our belts he would have to get used to it though lol

Average day for me would be cereal with a bit of yog and a piece of fruit

lunches are sarnies beans on toast scrambled eggs, fritattas, salads

dinners are pasta bakes scramled egg, frittas stir frys sweet and sour jacket spuds, stews, but thats only 2 weeks, with the other 2 weeks i tend to buy more fruit veg meat as i dont need the toilets rolls cloths and washing powder.

I make most of my sauces from scratch and i plan all my meals, so that helps too and sometimes we have left over potatos, quorn sausage (hence why they aint on my list) but my OH tells me we have a bit more money for food this month so ill stock up on dry goods, meat and frozen veggies.

We shop at Aldi for fruits and veg and take advantage of that Super 6 offer so we save on that. My fruit for the day at work is the free fruit left over by the children if they don't want any and then I can take some home at the end of the day as well. If it's bananas I make them into banana loaves and can sell those in school for some money or pear tarts, carrot cakes, apple tarts and raisin muffins. Saves it going to waste in school and I get about a fiver if I bake stuff, amounts to about £10 a week. We spend about £25 on food and put the money from the cakes in to the cup in case we have guests or a party so that pays for any extra food.

I agree completely with WWPrincess - planning is key. If you get an idea of dinners and lunches for the week and shop accordingly then you save. Last year we were spending upwards of £50 a week on mad stuff then we would have to throw things that had moulded at the back of the fridge.

your thrifty, not a skinflint!! You plan your weeks meals I guess, which makes your shopping bill go way down!! :)

Back