Food wise what do you not agree with ?

keegan

Just on the back of another thread about the plan, what do you not eat or do not agree should be a free food. For me its mullers (dont shoot). Expensive and chemical tasting

To be honest, I don't really give much thought to things like this because I take from the plan what works for me. If chocolate chip cookies became a HEB, I wouldn't argue!

Mullers and frylight and alpen lights and the dried packets of pasta. For me SW is about eating natural as far as possible. However, I can get off my high horse because lardylady is right...I do eat some artificial sweeteners because it helps me survive on slimmjng world....I have sugar free squash on occasion, and I eat too many hifis given their long list of ingredients. And I much prefer rubbish chocolate like cadburys to very dark choc.

So I don't judge others - if it's free, go for it. It does make me cry, though, that I have to syn half an avocado but can eat a mugshot when the calories are about the same...I know SW isn't about calorie counting, but still...

I think sw is a plan designed to please as many people as possible. So therefore you are able to takeaway from it what u like and agree with and then lose weight. So find what u like and agree with and that is the way u are able to stick with the plan. You dont have to eat all the free/low syn foods available it about make choices.

Everyone has a choice about what they eat whether they are doing SW or not. Just because something is a free food doesn't mean you have to eat it. Syns can be used on healthy high fat foods such as nuts, seeds, avocado and olive oil. Maybe 'syns' isn't a very good name for them because it encourages people to eat unhealthy snacks? I don't know what a mugshot is and don't eat Alpen bars or Muller yogurt. I'm no saint however; I will eat a bit of choc or have a highlights hot chocolate to satisfy a craving occasionally.

I think sw is a plan designed to please as many people as possible. So therefore you are able to takeaway from it what u like and agree with and then lose weight. So find what u like and agree with and that is the way u are able to stick with the plan. You dont have to eat all the free/low syn foods available it about make choices.
I agree with this. Personally I don't eat Mullers and mugshots and the like, but that's my choice. Why SW works for so many people is that it is so easy to adapt to your own preferences and lifestyle.

I sometimes get mildly exasperated when I see people using convenience sachets of oats when it is ten times cheaper and just as easy to use ordinary porridge oats, but in the end I don't really care what other people do.

Nothing in the SW plan is compulsory and in this, as in everything else, I ignore the things which don't interest me.

I love Muller lights as I've always eaten yoghurts anyway, there isn't anything I don't agree with, with Slimming World, but maybe more potion control on potatoes and pasta though x

Yeah I agree with the fact that you dont need to portion potatoe and pasta I always feel like maybe im eating too much of these but the pounds are coming off so maybe its just put in your mind that these carbs cant be that free

With regard to the carbs though, I think it depends on your body metabolism type. I really don't tolerate starchy carbs well, plus I'm a compulsive overeater - so telling me I can have an unlimited amount of pasta or rice is asking for trouble. If I knew when I was full (as opposed to so stuffed I can hardly move) then I wouldn't have been 21 stone to start with ;)

That's why I use the Red plan - EE just doesn't cut it for me. I still overeat on Red mind you... just on superfree which doesn't do any damage :)

For me SW has been a springboard into generally healthier eating - organic spelt porridge for breakfast, minimum processed foods (no yoghurts, no sauces that aren't made from scratch, no bread etc) and lots of fresh vegetables (I portion control protein to some extent as well), so I cringe at people lunching on mugshots or using Smash. That's more about food snobbery than calories though and at the end of the day, how someone else chooses to eat or follow the SW plan is none of my business whatsoever :D I've always said that I do SW my own way and I recognise that it's not for everyone - it just works with my messy head ;)

I don't get why dried pasta is free and unlimited - a lady I know tried slimming world and just ate pasta with veg because it was free and ended up gaining!

I sometimes get mildly exasperated when I see people using convenience sachets of oats when it is ten times cheaper and just as easy to use ordinary porridge oats, but in the end I don't really care what other people do.

Nothing in the SW plan is compulsory and in this, as in everything else, I ignore the things which don't interest me.

You are really Baroness Jenkins in disguise!!!

Hi, I haven't followed sw but have checked out the plan recently and would have to agree with your mullerlight comment. I don't like forgoing fat just to replace it with chemical ingredients ...

I don't get why dried pasta is free and unlimited - a lady I know tried slimming world and just ate pasta with veg because it was free and ended up gaining!

It would be quite difficult to gain weight by only eating pasta and veg. Pasta is not high in calories and is very filling, it does have a tendency to make your digestive system very slow though, and it can hang around for some time, but gain weight? Not a chance, unless she was carb restricting before she joined SW.

I don't agree with sweetcorn being free because it is food of the devil and the most awful thing ever, so I choose not to eat it!!

Same goes for anything else on the SW plan.

I don't get the point of this thread. Sorry if that comes across mean. But is there really any point in us all listing what we dont agree with on the SW plan - is it really going to change anything? I mean, if you don't agree with something or don't like it then you don't have to have it. Simples! :)

Why stress about foods you don't approve of?

SW has to appeal to many different people who all have different tastes, lifestyles, cooking abilities, body clock etc. and it is up to the individual to take from the plan what they like and find what suits them. If someone wants to eat a mugshot - well, OK they can. Mugshots and similar things are not to my taste, but they are not a compulsory part of the plan so I don't think about them. I suspect those who do eat them are still eating less processed foods overall than they did pre-SW.

Last edited:
I think the thread could have been titled a little better rather than it being "pointless" I do find a few things about the plan odd for example; bananas are counted as a Superfree food.

Personally, I have always been of the belief that they are somewhat starchy and when I regularly went to the Gym, they were termed "nature's lucozade tablets" and perfect for recovery as they are chock full of Electrolytes and sugars. I'm not complaining, I love bananas just think it odd that they are part of the un-restricted fruit section. :)

I do find a few things about the plan odd for example; bananas are counted as a Superfree food.

Personally, I have always been of the belief that they are somewhat starchy and when I regularly went to the Gym, they were termed "nature's lucozade tablets" and perfect for recovery as they are chock full of Electrolytes and sugars. I'm not complaining, I love bananas just think it odd that they are part of the un-restricted fruit section. :)

I think the poor banana is maligned - it has basically the same calories and carb counts as an apple or pear according to this:

A medium banana has 105 calories and 27 grams of carbohydrate. Not much more than many other types of fruit: 1 medium pear (103 calories, 27 gm carb), 1 medium apple (95 calories, 25 gm carb),

Added to that, it's full of healthy vitamins and fibre.

I think the poor banana is maligned - it has basically the same calories and carb counts as an apple or pear according to this:

A medium banana has 105 calories and 27 grams of carbohydrate. Not much more than many other types of fruit: 1 medium pear (103 calories, 27 gm carb), 1 medium apple (95 calories, 25 gm carb),

Added to that, it's full of healthy vitamins and fibre.

Hehe, I will eat the bananas with no guilt then, I LOOOOOOVE them! ^_^

Back